Post game - Iron Bowl

AUBwins

4 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

The two outside receivers were single covered, the three inside were double-covered; 8 vs 5.

Someone in double coverage had time (for 3.5 seconds the ball was in the air) to get over and help but for some reason they all decided to watch the play like a spectator.

We need players with a better football IQ.

We had a spy playing 10 yards off the LOS (useless).  Put that spy on the goal line; he has plenty of time to see Milroe if he takes off running & close the gap. This gives an extra pass defender on the goal line.  Don't play man to man on any receiver, spread the 8 DB's across the end zone and NOBODY turn his back to the play.  Milroe had to basically throw the ball 40 yards to complete a pass.   The defensive strategy we played was moronic.

• Like 1

CHF said he watched the film of the last play and froze the frame - all players were in the correct position to defend the play.  Top players make big time plays.  Perfectly thrown ball and catch by two 5 star players.  Two philosophies defending that play - pass rush vs defending the end zone to knock down the ball.

Pros and cons to each type of defense.  If we try to rush the passer that leaves WRs one on one.

That one play did not cost us the game.

- we had the ball on the 5 yard line - dropped pass for TD had to kick FG.

- fumbled punt.

- could have ran more time off the clock if called running play inside the 5 instead of dropped pass for TD.

28 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I thought he had a bad 1st quarter but played better after that.

I think he showed grit running but the passing wasn’t great. Fairweather across the middle should have been pitch and catch. The one he dropped across the middle could have got him lit up. Luckily he only got the wind knocked out of him. The Burton catch was wide open but needed full extension. I guess everyone sees things differently. What’s done is done

2 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

CHF said he watched the film of the last play and froze the frame - all players were in the correct position to defend the play.  Top players make big time plays.  Perfectly thrown ball and catch by two 5 star players.  Two philosophies defending that play - pass rush vs defending the end zone to knock down the ball.

Pros and cons to each type of defense.  If we try to rush the passer that leaves WRs one on one.

That one play did not cost us the game.

- we had the ball on the 5 yard line - dropped pass for TD had to kick FG.

- fumbled punt.

- could have ran more time off the clock if called running play inside the 5 instead of dropped pass for TD.

See, this is why people on here who aren't coaches aren't coaches. 

Everyone was in the right place as the ball was delivered, it was during the throw where the shortcomings surfaced.  #4 had his back to the ball, no one in double coverage  bothered to take advantage of the time the ball was in the air to offer help.

Hugh ain't gonna tell you that, but that's why the play was successful. We didn't make a play on the ball.

I know...it sounds better not to point out that Auburn's effort was lacking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

See, this is why people on here who aren't coaches aren't coaches. 

Everyone was in the right place as the ball was delivered, it was during the throw where the shortcomings surfaced.  #4 had his back to the ball, no one in double coverage  bothered to take advantage of the time the ball was in the air to offer help.

Hugh ain't gonna tell you that, but that's why the play was successful. We didn't make a play on the ball.

I know...it sounds better not to point out that Auburn's effort was lacking.

Or execution In Huge moments .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

There is no doubt Bond pushed off to get the separation, but a lot of people on here are he!! bent on blaming James for the loss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

There is no doubt Bond pushed off to get the separation, but a lot of people on here are he!! bent on blaming James for the loss.

Ironic because James had three beautiful pass break ups earlier that kept us in the game. 

• Like 1

Auburn rushed for 244 against Bama

Auburn rushed for 219 against UGA

Auburn rushed for 65 yards against NMSU

How does that happen?

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Ironic because James had three beautiful pass break ups earlier that kept us in the game. 

lol! And any one of them, had it been them, we’d have been screaming PI.  We lost, guys. No blame. Didn’t make the play, with the odds incredibly in our favor. End of story. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

How does that happen?

By throwing a jock strap out on the field and thinking that’s enough?

Edited by Swamp Eagle

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

How does that happen?

Because coaches get outcoached coaches with certain schemes and play calling. The KEY is to have BETTER talent so when you are out schemed, you still win the game. Saban gets beat in coaching all the time. (Not saying he is a bad coach.) His players make up for it. Pat Dye would lose games with his coaching but when a lot of close ones because of his players. You need a leader as coach with some skills and a lot of great players. That is your key to victory. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I thought the replay during the game was so so. This back angle shows a blatant retraction- step and full arm extension shove. That’s a penalty all day. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

I thought the replay during the game was so so. This back angle shows a blatant retraction- step and full arm extension shove. That’s a penalty all day. 

Refs probably got together before the play during the timeout and basically said don't call any penalties.  

The refs were awful all day. Both ways. The first half seemed to be all for Bama, the second half we got some breaks. But the calls overall were as bad as the non calls. That crew needs to be benched.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, alexava said:

The angle you presented does show a more egregious foul than the ones I presented.  That was not a *slight shove* it was a penalty that was not called.

To blame James for not covering his man is disingenuous at best.  It’s like a long run that was only because of a hold that the Oline did and was not called.  No one blames the defender, they blame the refs for not calling it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Because coaches get outcoached coaches with certain schemes and play calling. The KEY is to have BETTER talent so when you are out schemed, you still win the game. Saban gets beat in coaching all the time. (Not saying he is a bad coach.) His players make up for it. Pat Dye would lose games with his coaching but when a lot of close ones because of his players. You need a leader as coach with some skills and a lot of great players. That is your key to victory. 

BINGO!!

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

The refs were awful all day. Both ways. The first half seemed to be all for Bama, the second half we got some breaks. But the calls overall were as bad as the non calls. That crew needs to be benched.

Ken Williamson’s crew is the worst of the worst in the SEC.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The angle you presented does show a more egregious foul than the ones I presented.  That was not a *slight shove* it was a penalty that was not called.

To blame James for not covering his man is disingenuous at best.  It’s like a long run that was only because of a hold that the Oline did and was not called.  No one blames the defender, they blame the refs for not calling it.

Hard to make that call on that play. They let DJ get away with at least 2 PI’s on critical downs earlier, so it’s hard for me to moan about that one. 

7 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Hard to make that call on that play. They let DJ get away with at least 2 PI’s on critical downs earlier, so it’s hard for me to moan about that one. 

I knew it wouldn’t going to be called when I saw it live.  The point is some of our fans are straight up blaming James for screwing up, I’m saying there was a reason he was out of position on that play.

His wing man #10 left him to fend for himself and he was interfered with, he did what he could.

Haven't been able to bring myself to discuss the game but many of you have said my exact thoughts.

Of all the bonehead plays nearing the end of the game (muffed punt, letting the receiver get behind you, not even trying to pressure the QB as a down lineman (11 guys in prevent defense in theory, seriously?), etc) returning the kick out of the endzone is the most underrated IMO Why in the world are you bringing that ball out?

Let it be a touchback and start your drive on the 25 with 32 seconds left instead of starting on the 15 with 26 seconds left. I'm not saying Auburn wins if they don't run it out but come on you have time to run maybe 3-4 plays to get in FG range. That infuriated me.

Lack of football IQ must be addressed this off-season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I knew it wouldn’t going to be called when I saw it live.  The point is some of our fans are straight up blaming James for screwing up, I’m saying there was a reason he was out of position on that play.

His wing man #10 left him to fend for himself and he was interfered with, he did what he could.

It wasn’t all on DJ. The ball was airborne for almost 3.5 seconds. Plenty of time for sub-5 second- forty athletes to get over and help. #10 was less than 5 yards away and watched his teammate get beat alone. Bad execution all around.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...