New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

14 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Bird what is your honest opinion of ZC? Strengths? Weaknesses? Let's hear the director of mind and moods thoughts on this kid? 

I readily admit that QB is my weakest area of coaching knowledge.  That said, like others have stated, he's got a cannon for an arm. That can sometimes give him a little bit of over confidence and he'll try to force things.  He seems to read and work progressions effectively, that's a product of Jimbo and his systems. He does get happy feet at times but is also good at navigating and working within the pocket. He can extend plays with his legs, but he isn't necessarily a runner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I readily admit that QB is my weakest area of coaching knowledge.  That said, like others have stated, he's got a cannon for an arm. That can sometimes give him a little bit of over confidence and he'll try to force things.  He seems to read and work progressions effectively, that's a product of Jimbo and his systems. He does get happy feet at times but is also good at navigating and working within the pocket. He can extend plays with his legs, but he isn't necessarily a runner.

About spot on with my take. I mentioned in an earlier post that he takes chances with his arm which will cause a turnover here and there, but the trade off is worth in IMO. A lot of 3rd and long conversions aren't made without that confidence in his arm. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Taco said:

I feel like people are giving A&M and Jimbo way too much credit this year. 

His offense sucked. And it wasn’t because of Calzada. His offensive line was makeshift all year, with 1-upperclassmen (junior) playing on the right side, the rest were first year starters or freshmen. They definitely matured by the end of October but A&M’s offensive line was nothing to be amazed by. 

Some fun stats for you, A&M receivers had a drop ball rate of over 13% according to SECStatsCats for Calzada which is near the bottom of the SEC. Pressure rate is at 29% near the bottom of the league (so every 42% of his drop backs had something go wrong).

First off the take on the offensive line is wildly inaccurate. They've got a 2x all American and first round pick anchoring the unit. In addition to a 5th year tackle. 

Secondly the 42% math is really bad. You don't combine those percentages. 😂😂😂

38 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

About spot on with my take. I mentioned in an earlier post that he takes chances with his arm which will cause a turnover here and there, but the trade off is worth in IMO. A lot of 3rd and long conversions aren't made without that confidence in his arm. 

Ill also say his deep ball is much better due to the arc and field placement. It allows the receivers to adjust to and run through the ball. So many times it has looked as if we're trying to aim that were throwing darts

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ill also say his deep ball is much better to the arc and field placement. It allows the receivers to adjust to and run through the ball. So many times it has looked as if we're trying to aim that were throwing darts

100%. He throws a beautiful deep ball with a great turnover. Helps the ball drop right into the pocket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm confused how people can pick and choose their hope. Last year a brand new coach with a returning o line that hadn't been great, a QB that hasn't been great, a wr group of guys with no experience, a d line ofnew guys with no experience and the expectations 10 wins........

Now here we are and it's I need to see a bunch to even be positive to have HOPE.  Makes no sense to me

It's the 5 game skid and losing season. We haven't had a trajectory like this since 2012. I'm not saying it's 2012, or that CBH is Chizik, it's just you have to look at the context. 

We also got a preview of what next year will look like, by players and staff's own estimation, against Houston. So that's why everyone is desperate that we get some big transfers to sign on the dotted line. If not, we saw what it will look like.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

28 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

10 years ago I would be on board with you, but with the current state of CFB and the transfer portal the way it is...I don't really look into that much. Jimbo knows that he has to have depth and he knows that if you have 3 QBs who are capable of being starters on roster that after spring more than likely one of them is going to leave. 

Are we going to put more weight on the fact that ZC wasn't giving the starting nod over how he actually performed when his chance arrived?

Without any more additions to the QB room, does this mean that AU will not have any QBs transfer out after spring? How many capable starters does CBH see in this group of 4? Just asking. I personally see 2 and 1 maybe. wde

1 minute ago, AU North said:

Without any more additions to the QB room, does this mean that AU will not have any QBs transfer out after spring? How many capable starters does CBH see in this group of 4? Just asking. I personally see 2 and 1 maybe. wde

If we get out of Spring with the 4 we currently have I would be shocked. Factor in another possible transfer and I definitely think one leaves and all bets are on DD. TJ has already used his freebie...Holden will be a tfr, and ZC just transferred to us. Leaves one option. I hope he stays though. Seems to really love AU.

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, lots of ppl hated these 2nd/3rd and 2 calls after Tank's 8 years rush.

But they'd love them if we had a QB that could hit two wide open WRs for 25 yard gains.

exactly why I defended them so extensively as good calls.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

What I will say is I saw Bo look like a completely different QB last year. No reason Zack can’t. It is nice that he has a year of experience under his belt 

Player development has been a strength of this staff.  It has been refreshing to see after the last 10 years.

• Like 1

Let's not trash a guy that hasn't even taken a practice snap at Auburn. The dude clearly has shown that he can play at a high level. He's also shown inconsistency. Let him come in and compete for the job under some real QB coaching in this system. Hopefully we can see all our guys get reps in the Spring game. 

We gotta get some OL and WR's. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

If we get out of Spring with the 4 we currently have I would be shocked. Factor in another possible transfer and I definitely think one leaves and all bets are on DD. TJ has already used his freebie...Holden will be a tfr, and ZC just transferred to us. Leaves one option. I hope he stays though. Seems to really love AU.

Your probably right (but I hope not). I view DD as the maybe but haven't seen him play, so I don't know. Maybe spring game will shed some light, but it usually doesn't. Need a fly on the wall for spring practice. Does anyone know how much practice coverage CBH is going to allow this spring?  TIA wde

Guys... at this point with so much unknown about TJ and ZC, I have come to the conclusion that at this time there isn't enough data for us to go on with either, to say that one is better, has a higher ceiling, or will be the better QB in 8 months. We have been making a lot of assumptions when maybe we should just be all play the "let's wait and see" game.  I wasn't doing it last night but am gonna try and do it now.

TJ could have the light go off and start hitting the deep passes, ZC could come in and with development feel like the new scheme is perfect for him or either could completely regress and look like horse manure stewing outside a brothel for 10 days in 1857.  While I doubt either regresses under Harsin's direction especially how much Harsin developed Bo this year, point is we don't know what's gonna happen.

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Did someone already point out that the guy who spent a bunch of time in the NFL and coached Russell Wilson- a guy who knows way more than anyone else what an NFL QB looks like- thinks Calzada is worthy of a scholarship? I'm assuming someone already pointed that out. 

I pointed it out and was told that Davis hadn't developed anyone yet so we don't know if he is a good evaluator of talent or developer of QBs?

• Like 1

I am convinced that if we had Calzada we would have beaten MSU, SCAR, UA and HOU, perhaps even PSU.  I don’t think he will be a Heisman candidate, but I do think he will be above average. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, e808 said:

U got me lol. I just posted that. I just don’t remember much of Davis career. Now if it was Leftwich that’s something  different.

He spent 8 years in the league with at least 6 different teams as the primary backup.  Pretty good career if you ask me.  NFL front offices looked at him and said "yup, this guy at least gives us a chance to win games if our starter goes down."  This probably puts him more on the cerebral side of backup QBs.

He also broke every record Brett Favre had at Southern Miss. Not as cool as breaking all of that Rodgers guy's records but I think Favre was a pretty avg QB, so I won't put it as a detraction for Davis.

47 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

First off the take on the offensive line is wildly inaccurate. They've got a 2x all American and first round pick anchoring the unit. In addition to a 5th year tackle. 

Secondly the 42% math is really bad. You don't combine those percentages. 😂😂😂

They might be highly touted recruits but they allowed more QB pressure than our line did in pass pro.  So the take isn't wildly inaccurate.  Not saying our line was better but they clearly had issues protecting Calzada. I think he was pressured 28% at A&M and Nix was pressured like 16%.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

We also got a preview of what next year will look like, by players and staff's own estimation, against Houston. So that's why everyone is desperate that we get some big transfers to sign on the dotted line. If not, we saw what it will look like.

This is a strange take for me. "by players and staff's own estimations"? what the hell does that even mean? Do you even know or did it just sound good in your head?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nailed it. 808 keeps it cool so I'm not going to make a thing of it but... yep. 

Me personally after the Bo was better than mond arguments I'm not taking the evaluations seriously. Seem like some may have a beef with Texas a&m for some reason.  I felt like maybe I was out of the loop and there's a reason to hate a&m. I still don't know

Seems like you can work with a QB as far as helping them process info and how to attack a defense. But stuff like being accurate that seems to be an you either have it or don't type of thing.

23 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I am convinced that if we had Calzada we would have beaten MSU, SCAR, UA and HOU, perhaps even PSU.  I don’t think he will be a Heisman candidate, but I do think he will be above average. 

This^^^^^^^^^ 

We would be 9-4 at worst this season,

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Me personally after the Bo was better than mond arguments I'm not taking the evaluations seriously. Seem like some may have a beef with Texas a&m for some reason.  I felt like maybe I was out of the loop and there's a reason to hate a&m. I still don't know

Who the heck ever said that Bo was better than Mond? Wow.

14 minutes ago, Didba said:

This is a strange take for me. "by players and staff's own estimations"? what the hell does that even mean? Do you even know or did it just sound good in your head?

I could be completely wrong but I thought I saw a quote saying the team was viewing the BB as the start of 2022. If that's incorrect I apologize. Looking for the quote.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I could be completely wrong but I thought I saw a quote saying the team was viewing the BB as the start of 2022. If that's incorrect I apologize. Looking for the quote.

Oh you are actually talking about a direct quote. little less strange now. Misunderstanding.

• Like 1