New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The question was did we get better as a QB room and as a football team with this pickup? 

So you agree that we got better as a team, but you felt the need to quote me saying as much and write out that stupid response?  Good lord where have we gone?

Jeez some of you ppl get sensitive.  Try to not be so serious all the time

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Jeez some of you ppl get sensitive.  Try to not be so serious all the time

Too sensitive? No I just don't understand the stupidity in that post. I am not upset or aggravated...just don't get it. 

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

See @ClaytonAU, I’m positive sometimes!

This was pretty funny, even with our verbal sparring in the past, I genuinely laughed out loud at this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

This was pretty funny, even with our verbal sparring in the past, I genuinely laughed out loud at this.

As did I 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What I will say is I saw Bo look like a completely different QB last year. No reason Zack can’t. It is nice that he has a year of experience under his belt 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The question was did we get better as a QB room and as a football team with this pickup? 

So you agree that we got better as a team, but you felt the need to quote me saying as much and write out that stupid response?  Good lord where have we gone?

•  

I think his answer was on the mark. More bodies more competition so we are better as a team, but with the caveat none at this time appear to be QB1 ready.  I am assuming the reason for the caveat is he can't speak to development of any of these QB's between now and start o season. DD we never saw, Geriner is a true freshman, TJ has only had limited chances and will have a whole off-season and Calzado is similar to TJ.  I don't want to speak for W.E.D, but his was a reasonable response to your question. I am sure like most of us he would not be adverse to somebody like CW to be brought in.  

Bottom line Calzada gives us another option but we are still looking for more players between now and season start and that would include the right QB if we can get that QB.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I see this view moreso with TJ. The amount of outrage and determination that TJ should never start for Auburn based of 2 starts is a bit ridiculous considering all yhe passes Bo got.

At least for me wrt Calzada vs Bo, my biggest *hope* for Bo was he'd finally get good coaching and be able to truly develop and elevate himself over previous lows.  Calzada has spent 3 years in the same system and with an elite QB developer and was bad as a 3rd year QB.

Maybe a new voice/offense can still help. But I'm not really optimistic. Right now I'd say it's 50/50 between Calzada and TJ for our QB next year

You may be correct, but they sure look different when I look at bits that have been posted vs what I saw in the AU games.

9 minutes ago, e808 said:

Realistically ZC ceiling was probably the Bama the game . How many times did he achieve that. TJ wasn’t the greatest in his small sample size . To be fair TJ has less games and time in college than ZC so we haven’t seen his ceiling yet or maybe we have. Just need more data to access. The competition is great though

From what I have seen the ceiling is higher with ZC than TJ. I think ZC has just as good of an arm, but is already more accurate and better with touch. I think ZC has more mobility and escapability. Of course TJ can get better and I expect him to do so.

I keep seeing people say things like "TJ doesn't have near the experience because he only started a few games for LSU and a couple for us. I would argue ZC was already much better at the same point in his career (experience wise). People act like ZC has been a starting QB for 3 years, but really he wasn't even the starter this year. The starter got injured and he came in and did a damn solid job for a backup. He didn't play in 2020 and he threw 24 balls in 2019. 

13 minutes ago, e808 said:

Realistically ZC ceiling was probably the Bama the game . How many times did he achieve that. TJ wasn’t the greatest in his small sample size . To be fair TJ has less games and time in college than ZC so we haven’t seen his ceiling yet or maybe we have. Just need more data to access. The competition is great though

Not trying to argue but don’t get the comparison you shared. You say ZC’s best game (behind him) and probably won’t reach that consistently. With TJ you have no best game to show potential but say he has potential to improve. Apples to oranges comparison.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Not trying to argue but don’t get the comparison you shared. You say ZC’s best game (behind him) and probably won’t reach that consistently. With TJ you have no best game to show potential but say he has potential to improve. Apples to oranges comparison.

Based on last year solely ZC played in more games than TJ. Maybe I am putting it into the wrong text. TJ only starting 3 games vs someone that almost tripled that is hard to access

Edited by e808

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

From what I have seen the ceiling is higher with ZC than TJ. I think ZC has just as good of an arm, but is already more accurate and better with touch. I think ZC has more mobility and escapability. Of course TJ can get better and I expect him to do so.

I keep seeing people say things like "TJ doesn't have near the experience because he only started a few games for LSU and a couple for us. I would argue ZC was already much better at the same point in his career (experience wise). People act like ZC has been a starting QB for 3 years, but really he wasn't even the starter this year. The starter got injured and he came in and did a damn solid job for a backup. He didn't play in 2020 and he threw 24 balls in 2019. 

I agree with your analyses. I watched ZC a good bit this year and he was really good at times and then inconsistent at other times.  I think he brings us at least to the BO level of this year better then the BO of previous 2 years. I keep harping on the same thing over and over I am less worried about the QB then the O-Line and the WR's this year. If we don't shore up O-Line and have WR's that have minimal drops then we will have a less than stellar season this fall.  I say that even if we get CW.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think his answer was on the mark. More bodies more competition so we are better as a team, but with the caveat none at this time appear to be QB1 ready.  I am assuming the reason for the caveat is he can't speak to development of any of these QB's between now and start o season. DD we never saw, Geriner is a true freshman, TJ has only had limited chances and will have a whole off-season and Calzado is similar to TJ.  I don't want to speak for W.E.D, but his was a reasonable response to your question. I am sure like most of us he would not be adverse to somebody like CW to be brought in.  

Bottom line Calzada gives us another option but we are still looking for more players between now and season start and that would include the right QB if we can get that QB.

No one knows that...that is why I repeated what my question was...it was not asking for opinion of which QB is better...but did we get better as a team by this pickup. The reason for being specific was due to his DA response when I argued that we got better as a team by picking up ZC

edit-Also, I think after reading this that you thought I was saying his answer was stupid...not the case...

Edited by Tigerpro2a

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree with your analyses. I watched ZC a good bit this year and he was really good at times and then inconsistent at other times.  I think he brings us at least to the BO level of this year better then the BO of previous 2 years. I keep harping on the same thing over and over I am less worried about the QB then the O-Line and the WR's this year. If we don't shore up O-Line and have WR's that have minimal drops then we will have a less than stellar season this fall.  I say that even if we get CW.

I honestly think he is better than this year's Bo in some areas. He as a better arm, more accurate on every level of pass it seems, and has a better pocket awareness to him.  Bo definitely had better mobility. From everything I have read on Aggie Boards ZC is a great teammate and leader as well. 

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

Based on last year solely ZC played in more games than TJ. 

Look at the first few games he played in..he still played better than TJ. 

I am not saying TJ can't or won't get better. I expect him to. I just think he is already behind ZC and ZC can and will improve from where he is as well. 

Did someone already point out that the guy who spent a bunch of time in the NFL and coached Russell Wilson- a guy who knows way more than anyone else what an NFL QB looks like- thinks Calzada is worthy of a scholarship? I'm assuming someone already pointed that out. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Look at the first few games he played in..he still played better than TJ. 

I am not saying TJ can't or won't get better. I expect him to. I just think he is already behind ZC and ZC can and will improve from where he is as well. 

Idk, I we will find out here shortly. It just seems odd. He was as TAMU 3 years . He wasn’t the projected starter last year and it seems Jimbo couldn’t wait to bring in Max. It would be a little different if there was a coaching change or he was grad. I could be totally off base just my thinking at the moment

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Idk, I we will find out here shortly. It just seems odd. He was as TAMU 3 years . He wasn’t the projected starter last year and it seems Jimbo couldn’t wait to bring in Max. It would be a little different if there was a coaching change or he was grad. I could be totally off base just my thinking at the moment

10 years ago I would be on board with you, but with the current state of CFB and the transfer portal the way it is...I don't really look into that much. Jimbo knows that he has to have depth and he knows that if you have 3 QBs who are capable of being starters on roster that after spring more than likely one of them is going to leave. 

Are we going to put more weight on the fact that ZC wasn't giving the starting nod over how he actually performed when his chance arrived?

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Did someone already point out that the guy who spent a bunch of time in the NFL and coached Russell Wilson- a guy who knows way more than anyone else what an NFL QB looks like- thinks Calzada is worthy of a scholarship? I'm assuming someone already pointed that out. 

A real question how much credit does a QB Coach get. Davis was only there for two years. I think Russell was already good before he got there. IJS

Edited by e808

7 minutes ago, e808 said:

And Harsin will be equally anxious to land Williams and for Geriner to develop. But it doesn't mean Calzada isn't easily our best option coming out of spring. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes but the response will be “well RW was already good.” The handful of CBH detractors been posting so much I already know their go to moves 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, e808 said:

A real question how much credit does a QB Coach get. Davis was only there for two years. I think Russell was already good before he got there. IJS

If he had no effect they wouldn’t have paid him to stay. Obviously he did what HC wanted so had some effect. Bigger impact for us in my mind is how much he probably learned about QB position during his time there. Immeasurable !!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes but the response will be “well RW was already good.” The handful of CBH detractors been posting so much I already know their go to moves 

U got me lol. I just posted that. I just don’t remember much of Davis career. Now if it was Leftwich that’s something  different.

Edited by e808
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

You didn't get the point of my post. This was the thesis statement: "a guy who knows way more than anyone else what an NFL QB looks like"

I'm not saying that Davis made Wilson good. In fact I will say with 100% certainty that he did not. What I said is that he knows what an NFL QB looks like, and since it came back up, I'll go further and say that he knows what one of the top 6-7 QBs on the planet looks like. He knows how he plays, how he trains, how he thinks, the offense that he plays in... 

He may or may not be equipped to turn Calzada into Wilson, but he sees something in Calzada that he thinks he can work with. 

And, further to @Hank2020's comments, he worked for Pete Carroll. I know Carroll's a defensive guy, but he's Russell Wilson's head coach and coached 2 Heisman winners in college. Aaaaaand the dude played college ball at an elite level and then played in the NFL. So yeah, I'm comfortable assuming that he's a pretty good talent evaluator. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Nailed it. 808 keeps it cool so I'm not going to make a thing of it but... yep. 

• Like 3