New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I agree a certain amount of skills are needed to start with, but if accuracy can’t be helped why would you practice accuracy? I just remember Dan Marino talking about him practicing his accuracy using a swinging tire. Sure waisted a lot of time if the skill is innate.

What would be more logical or a better example is showing a few QB 's that were horrible at throwing accuracy but improved.

A guy that's already accurate that does stuff to stay accurate is completely different

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What would be more logical or a better example is showing a few QB 's that were horrible at throwing accuracy but improved.

A guy that's already accurate that does stuff to stay accurate is completely different

Your probably correct. What I remember is him saying he did that in his back yard all through high school. Believe his father set it up for him.

45 minutes ago, Didba said:

I was not aware it existed. I'll have to do that.

I wish that forum was more active. Be sure to drop by. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I think the issue is as a 3rd year player in a system after playing football since he was 5; at this point, you would expect someone to have figured out "touch".  If he hasn't done it by now; not sure what is going to make that click.  He has a few hundred thousand reps behind him of throwing "asperine" tablets as we used to say.  

Sometimes, it never clicks. Some people take much longer for it to click.  Just depends on the person.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I see this view moreso with TJ. The amount of outrage and determination that TJ should never start for Auburn based of 2 starts is a bit ridiculous considering all yhe passes Bo got.

At least for me wrt Calzada vs Bo, my biggest *hope* for Bo was he'd finally get good coaching and be able to truly develop and elevate himself over previous lows.  Calzada has spent 3 years in the same system and with an elite QB developer and was bad as a 3rd year QB.

Maybe a new voice/offense can still help. But I'm not really optimistic. Right now I'd say it's 50/50 between Calzada and TJ for our QB next year

Think Calzada will just quit and transfer again ala Charlie Brewer before backing up TJ 

Not saying it’s not possible, I rather TJ miraculously figure out his touch issues and start than to ever see Zach Calzada play (I do like TJ as a person), but not likely ykow 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Well solo MM is one of my mom's favorite artists for me it's all doobie bros.  I generally enjoy classic rock from the 60s to the 90s.  Most of it is great stuff besides the junk played over and over on the radio.

I've been to over 400 concerts but never saw The Doobies tried to a few times but just work it out. My lost....as for Steely Dam saw them 3 times great concerts 

1 hour ago, Didba said:

I was not aware it existed. I'll have to do that.

Be sure to you its only 334 pages so be sure to check all 334 pages :poke:

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I've been to over 400 concerts but never saw The Doobies tried to a few times but just work it out. My lost....as for Steely Dam saw them 3 times great concerts 

I managed to see Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers at the same concert in Summer of 2018 in Austin.  Doobie Bros were great but SD blew them out of the water. It was unreal.

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Think Calzada will just quit and transfer again ala Charlie Brewer before backing up TJ 

Not saying it’s not possible, I rather TJ miraculously figure out his touch issues and start than to ever see Zach Calzada play (I do like TJ as a person), but not likely ykow 

Both have touch issues, with big arms and really inaccurate. 

Feel like everyone is blinded gt the shiny new toy when they are both pretty similar. Finley is about to have his first offseason of elite coaching vs Calzada's 4th

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Both have touch issues, with big arms and really inaccurate. 

Feel like everyone is blinded gt the shiny new toy when they are both pretty similar. Finley is about to have his first offseason of elite coaching vs Calzada's 4th

True! We will see 

19 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Bird what is your honest opinion of ZC? Strengths? Weaknesses? Let's hear the director of mind and moods thoughts on this kid? 

I reached out to another coach, he's an Offensive guy that knows his stuff. This is what he said...

with very limited footage to watch, first thing i notice is a big arm. He can put the ball into a tight window with great arm strength. does a good job of stepping into his throws, particularly what I call (from time spent with Al Borges) his "1" throw which is the 10-12 yard bullet. The 2 throw is the hole shot over the LB/CB and under the safety and he looked good there. 3 and 4 throws are deeper balls. Haven't seen enough of those. I do like his footwork in the pocket with little extra motion. Looks poised. Not sure how well he looks off coverage. Spurrier used to tell his QBs, know where you're gonna throw it, look somewhere else, and then put your eyes where you're throwing and throw the guy open. Not throw TO the open guy, but "throw the guy open". I don't even know how big ZC is and don't care enough to look. His footwork from the gun is very clean imo. No extra massaging of the ball. I plan to watch additional film as i stumble onto it.

synopsis: I like the acquisition. I don't think AU is done at QB. Either get another guy at or near the level of ZC and let the battle begin or get a guy like Williams and let the others chum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

I readily admit that QB is my weakest area of coaching knowledge.  That said, like others have stated, he's got a cannon for an arm. That can sometimes give him a little bit of over confidence and he'll try to force things.  He seems to read and work progressions effectively, that's a product of Jimbo and his systems. He does get happy feet at times but is also good at navigating and working within the pocket. He can extend plays with his legs, but he isn't necessarily a runner.

an article on tigerland says they took him because he has the tools and they have that much faith in davis to get him up to speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I reached out to another coach, he's an Offensive guy that knows his stuff. This is what he said...

with very limited footage to watch, first thing i notice is a big arm. He can put the ball into a tight window with great arm strength. does a good job of stepping into his throws, particularly what I call (from time spent with Al Borges) his "1" throw which is the 10-12 yard bullet. The 2 throw is the hole shot over the LB/CB and under the safety and he looked good there. 3 and 4 throws are deeper balls. Haven't seen enough of those. I do like his footwork in the pocket with little extra motion. Looks poised. Not sure how well he looks off coverage. Spurrier used to tell his QBs, know where you're gonna throw it, look somewhere else, and then put your eyes where you're throwing and throw the guy open. Not throw TO the open guy, but "throw the guy open". I don't even know how big ZC is and don't care enough to look. His footwork from the gun is very clean imo. No extra massaging of the ball. I plan to watch additional film as i stumble onto it.

synopsis: I like the acquisition. I don't think AU is done at QB. Either get another guy at or near the level of ZC and let the battle begin or get a guy like Williams and let the others chum.

I am glad you sharing this. I am pretty ignorant on the guy and formulated an opinion short sighted on his stats. Just wonder why they are below average when it seem he had a higher quality line play than us and a running game he can rely on. Here’s to hoping for the best 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That helps boost my confidence in evaluation because that is very much in line with my own eval. Thanks Bird. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am glad you sharing this. I am pretty ignorant on the guy and formulated an opinion short sighted on his stats. Just wonder why they are below average when it seem he had a higher quality line play than us and a running game he can rely on. Here’s to hoping for the best 

I know you aren't asking me Dag, but I was the same way until I really dug into his game tapes. His stats are misleading. WED said he was inaccurate especially on short stuff which is far from true if you actually watch his games.

He has a flinger here and there, but so does Bryce Young. 

He didn't get a lot of help from WRs and TEs this year..much like our own QB early in the year. Even their star TE J. Wedemeyer had numerous uncharacteristic drops. 

Their OL on paper should have been much better and they were in run blocking, but again,.if you watch..this kid was under constant pressure. Their OL performed pretty average at best all year long in pass pro.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lots of Bo excuse croping in. We dropped all the balls. Offensive line is why he's bad, etc

Edited by W.E.D
  • Facepalm 3

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Lots of Bo excuse croping in. We dropped all the balls. Offensive line is why he's bad, etc

Do these things not have an impact on stats? Doesn't matter who is throwing the ball. If it's not caught when it hits them in the numbers then who is at fault? 

These things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. A QB can be bad and suffer from a poor OL and WR corps same as a good QBs stats can suffer from both.

Edited by Tigerpro2a

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

I wondered the same thing.  Tigerpro did a good job looking and evaluating some of his film. His analysis gave me more hope of success than my initial feelings

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Do these things not have an impact on stats? Doesn't matter who is throwing the ball. If it's not caught when it hits them in the numbers then who is at fault? 

They can, but in the end the balls could be better thrown. Better reads made, etc. You don't see elite QB plagued by countless drops but for some reason only ours

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I wondered the same thing.  Tigerpro did a good job looking and evaluating some of his film. His analysis gave me more hope of success than my initial feelings

I am actually kind of amazed at ZC's arm. In the games I watched there were a couple of different plays where he was under pressure and fired off his back foot much like our former QB 1 but the velocity on his ball is a different story than our former field general. 

On 1/6/2022 at 6:53 PM, AUght2win said:

All I saw in 2a's assessments were that the kid had a few drops from receivers and had some pressure on him.

So is that going to change at Auburn? 

This is the part of the equation you guys aren't answering. ZC had a much, much deeper and more talented supporting cast at A&M. He is going to be facing the same teams. How is he going to come into a worse offensive roster, where he'll suffer more pressure and more drops, and do better than he did at A&M?

Not sure this was addressed, but I heard today TAMU led the SEC in drops, although they do have better WRs.   I would give the nod to Auburn's RB room and our TE room.  OL - yeah, TAMU is better, but I recall one of their OTs missed several games and their center did as well early.   

There's always a lot to consider, the more you dig. 

I think our new QB whisperer is going to be the X Factor. 

Edited by Beaker

Just now, W.E.D said:

They can, but in the end the balls could be better thrown. Better reads made, etc. You don't see elite QB plagued by countless drops but for some reason only ours

Sometimes yes the fault may still be on the QB or a combination of both. With that I agree. I am talking about balls hitting open guys right in the break basket...not balls thrown too hard...perfectly thrown balls. I don't understand what the read has to do with it. Yes QBs could make bad reads, but that doesn't make the WR that the ball is coming to drop it. Maybe in the off chance the WR is not expecting the ball and turns right in time to get hit in the mouth, but again..I am not talking about those. 

Let's also be real here. I haven't said ZC is an elite QB. I don't think anyone here has come close to saying that. I did see you and several other people talking about him being a poor pickup and inaccurate and so on all just from looking at his stat sheet. So I felt the need to look deeper, and that tells a little different story. Even if they caught all the drops he still is not an elite QB, but I don't think he would be catching the flak he is catching either. 

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Not sure this was addressed, but I heard today TAMU led the SEC in drops, although they do have better WRs.   I would give the nod to Auburn's RB room and our TE room.  OL - yeah, TAMU is better. 

Exactly. I watched 3 games and saw a bunch of drops. And again I am not referring to balls touching fingertips with the WR 3 ft off the ground kind of drops.

Their OL was not better in pass pro. They were night and day better in run pro, but pass pro not the case.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Love some Steely Dan! Crispest sound ever, and if you ever get to watch a documentary on the recording of Aja you’ll know why. Those dudes were anal to a fault in getting the recording perfect.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

This is great stuff, I appreciate your colleague taking the time to do look at some film.  Funny, enough I was just thinking this board seems to have more than a handful of us with the ability/experience to break down defensive film but not many that can break down QB mechanics/film.  Far less people playing QB probably has something to do with it.