Harsin and the PTB

AUght2win

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree . As he said there is no consequences so idiots can post whatever they want and say whatever they want lol. I still think you need to have something in you to know limits. 

Man in a perfect world.....if you could meet some

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I'm fine with discussions on how they affect Auburn

And that's the only context in which it was brought up. (Page 19 if anyone is curious.) Ultimately the thread goes back to cultural fit, and Harsin's family's happiness in Auburn, Alabama is part of that. That situation in the fall- when pictures of a family that dresses a little differently than most locals were shared, and conservative locals offered opinions at that time- is just one small brush stroke added to the larger picture. 

If we took the names out of it and just said, "PNW family moves to small town Alabama and locals have opinions on their style choices", literally everyone reading this would say, "Well, yeah." 

If we took the names out of it and just said, "PNW family moves to small town Alabama and don't immediately acclimate to local cultural norms", literally everyone reading this would say, "Well, yeah."

If we took the names out of it and just said, "Breadwinning husband moves family from where they've been their whole lives to an extremely different part of the country, and his work situation is more rocky than expected and they aren't immediately acclimating to local cultural norms, and it's making the husband wonder if he's made the right choice", literally everyone reading this would say, "Well, yeah."

That's all it is. 

As others have said, no matter the topic, somebody's going to discuss it in an immature way. I've got no problem with addressing those posts as they happen, as occurred in this thread. Somebody made a stupid comment about Kes Harsin's appearance and was immediately reprimanded for it. Unfortunately, things got conflated as they tend to. I do agree that a coach's family member being involved raises the stakes on that a little but it was dealt with and at this point the pursuant noise is just that. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Man in a perfect world.....if you could meet some

Hahaha forreal though . Honestly that one thread where we announced what we did for a living gave me a lot of light bulb moments and a lot “aha, Now I get it…”

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Those student loans ain’t no joke. 

Law school, an expensive but worthwhile endeavor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I just don’t understand those that say “we deserve this.” No one has fired the guy for not liking him. No one is being petty. Every—read every—job a person ever has will be dependent on getting along with those that hire you or sign your paycheck. 

How is this different? Nobody ran on the field and said blow a 25 point lead at home to miss state. Nobody told him to lose to South Carolina. C’mon people. Scapegoat is right…Auburn being auburn blames this mysterious group of PTB whenever something goes awry. Untrue. The PTB that I know LOVE the University and donate millions to keep it going in the right direction. For the love of all, why would you throw stones at them for a coach coming in and basically turning his nose up at them? They didn’t hire him and they sure as heck won’t fire him, but they do get to say how much money they are willing to pour into the program as it capsizes under his leadership (or not—there are many who think he will work out—good on ya.)

Bottom line is that he will either work out or he won’t. And I’m sorry but it IS a business. Pearl and Leath were like oil and water…but Pearl is a winner! If Harsin wins, he will be ok. 

If you're talking about me, I'm talking about all the people that were complaining about Mason who didn't understand football and what he was working with and what he actually achieved. 

So when someone else comes in and can't do any better yes I feel we deserve what we get. I wasn't talking about Harsin because it's stupid to talk about Harsin until you at least see his second year.

If you weren't talking about me my bad

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Nursing school for me. Thank goodness I am a psych NP now though. Someone tell Biden , I need those year of the nurse loan cancellation plan. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 2:35 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Harsin came here from Boise some people immediately assumed he was not ready for the SEC.  Others saw a hard nosed coach that wanted to change the culture at Auburn of those some thought it would be an overnight change others thought it would take a few years. We beat Ole Miss and many think we are one of top teams in the country despite some obvious areas of weakness (O-line adequate but not great, WR's so so, not enough depth in D-Line).  We lost SC game when we were better team probably due to Bobo not calling a very good game. We had great 1st half against Miss State but Bobo goes into shell on Offense and D-Line depth issue is exposed as they run out of gas.  On top of that Bo is injured and we don't have a QB ready for the SEC at this time (TJ could improve this year).  Then without Bo we lose out even after playing our best defensive game of the year against Alabama. Bobo did improve play calling compared to previous year using TE's and RB's in passing attack but also caused us to lose a couple of games SC and Miss. State. so Harsin let him go. At the time everybody thought that was right move and showed Harsin saw a problem and fixed it. 

We have lost a lot of players in the Portal as have most teams, also because this is a new regime trying to change culture there should be some churn in the Portal. Riley at USC has come in and stated he wants to have a 35 player turnover and everybody thinks that is great why is it not great at Auburn.  There are legitimate areas that Harsin has not addressed O-Line 1 HS player so far and no Portal O-Line so far. We actually did well in other areas on Offense the HS QB with great upside and 2 Portal QB's to help us find a starter and backup depth, a really good HS RB , 3 HS WR's, and a HS TE.  He has not been able to bring in an Impact WR from Portal up to this point.  The signing class did a pretty good job of addressing Defensive needs a JUCO, a  Portal, and a HS D-line, Multiple DB's HS, Juco, and Portal, 2 HS LB's one who may be an Edge Rusher and a Portal LB.  We also lost talent to the Portal  a couple of NT's and an Edge Rusher , DB's an RB etc., but we have some young players Brooks Edge Rusher and Wright who was our best  NT before injury and we may pickup another Edge Rusher from HS in late signing class. 

In some ways returning team is better that last year and in other ways we may be worse but we won't know until we see development in Spring and Fall of players on roster and who else we may pick up in late signing period and Portal.

So the big meltdown is Mason leaving. There has been every theory under the sun for the reason he is leaving from one extreme to the other some Harsin is horrible and we are a sinking ship to other extreme Harsin was not satisfied with Mason and is trying to improve. We will never know the true story.  

Basically we have to wait and see will we find a true QB1 at least as good as BO and a solid backup by fall, will any of our non-starting O-line players from this year develop and beat out returning O-linemen, will our Defense be solid with a new DC, by late signing period next year to June next year will we have the type of HS class we need and will we have found the type of Portal players we need to fill in the gaps. 

At that point we should see if a new culture is developing at Auburn or if Harsin appears to be over his head.  I really think it takes about 4 years to judge a new head coach  especially if trying to change the culture.  Next year we should see stability in coaching ranks, a very good recruiting class HS and Portal and we should be competitive in every game which we were this year except Georgia despite our record.

I will say this...we do spend a lot of time on understanding 'culture change'.

I tend to associate it with how Alabama went thru it w/ the hires of Franchione, Shula, Duncan, etc. They floundered to some degree. In Comes Saban and a total controlled process by him.

Now we go from Chizik and Gus to Harsin. 

The difference being we've had great immediate success. in 2 years of Chizik a NC. In first year of Gus, playing for a NC. but then the ups and downs, similar to what Alabama went rhrough before Saban.

So, its a matter of is Harsin's culture the 'right' culture? 

We do have to wait and see. The turnover in players AND coaches seems unique, but if some of those were not his first choices or was a compromise with the AU group he had to work with when hiring, then he is trying something different. 

Recruiting in the end WILL decide his fate. So, even though there i a lot of chatter about background complaining, whining, name calling, it doesn't matter. 

If he has good to great recruiters we will get going w/ 2023 signees. IF we continue to hit and miss on top players, then he could be gone after 2023. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Nursing school for me. Thank goodness I am a psych NP now though. Someone tell Biden , I need those year of the nurse loan cancellation plan. 

Mad props for being a psychic NP. That's a major accomplishment.

The day the feds cancel some student debt is the day I can buy a house or begin planning for a family with the wife. It'd be nice.

• Sad 1

Back to the original, original point of this thread. 

Despite what's being inferred by posters blaming the PTB, I don't see any evidence they are hamstringing CBH. Like @McLoofus said, is there anything CBH needs that he can't currently get funding for? Is there any evidence for meddling?

In the past, the PTB had a ton of power to influence coaching decisions and allegedly sometimes even more than that. But again, there's no evidence to say CBH was forced to hire anybody by the PTB. Not last year or now.

The responsibility for the current mess can't really be placed on anybody outside the actual athletic department. And that's actually a good thing for Auburn. In the past, we could point to meddling. But at least now, things are unfolding naturally as they should - based on the competence of people who are actually professionals in the AD.

I call a spade a spade. The PTB have been petty and horrible many times in Auburn history. But I won't scapegoat them this time without some proof that they are actually the problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubcali said:

The $1 chicken Italians — wasn’t that at Findlay’s?  (I think was the name.) They were awesome.  

What year was this? 

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Despite what's being inferred by posters blaming the PTB, I don't see any evidence they are hamstringing CBH. Like @McLoofus said, is there anything CBH needs that he can't currently get funding for? Is there any evidence for meddling?

In the past, the PTB had a ton of power to influence coaching decisions and allegedly sometimes even more than that. But again, there's no evidence to say CBH was forced to hire anybody by the PTB. Not last year or now.

The responsibility for the current mess can't really be placed on anybody outside the actual athletic department. And that's actually a good thing for Auburn. In the past, we could point to meddling. But at least now, things are unfolding naturally as they should - based on the competence of people who are actually professionals in the AD.

I call a spade a spade. The PTB have been petty and horrible many times in Auburn history. But I won't scapegoat them this time without some proof that they are actually the problem. 

We have insiders claiming that the PTB are limiting funds going to harsins regime. At least I think that's what they are saying.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I've never seen a credible source say that Harsin didn't have full control from day 1.

I have seen a source that I consider credible say that he did.

I don't know where the "he was forced to hire so and so" narrative came from and I don't buy it, either.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Didba said:

Also I won’t judge you too hard for being a lawyer 😐 j/k

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

We have insiders claiming that the PTB are limiting funds going to harsins regime. At least I think that's what they are saying.

What do you think that means, though? Specifically. 

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Okay, but how does that matter in any tangible way? The FOF is going full speed. We aren't in any situations where we can't afford an assistant. I can't speak to whether or not it's affecting how under the table recruiting is going/being funded. 

But clearly CBH is unbothered and feels he doesn't need the PTB. And maybe he doesn't. The lack of funds probably bothers the president and ADAG way more than Harsin. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've never seen a credible source say that Harsin didn't have full control from day 1.

I have seen a source that I consider credible say that he did.

I don't know where the "he was forced to hire so and so" narrative came from and I don't buy it, either.

Purely a spin, in my opinion. Heard some of the war rapport repeating it. Also seen a lot on Twitter saying "Harsin is finally getting rid of the guys that were forced on him." Which is funny because it implies CBH forced Mason out (lie #1) and that he was only on staff because of the PTB to being with (lie #2).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Didba said:

I do, this will be the 2nd time you personally have informed me.

It doesn't change my opinion.

Ah okay.  My apologies. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Didba said:

Great, you need to become our (forum)NIL expert. It’s usually you lawyer types.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Okay, but how does that matter in any tangible way? The FOF is going full speed. We aren't in any situations where we can't afford an assistant. I can't speak to whether or not it's affecting how under the table recruiting is going/being funded. 

But clearly CBH is unbothered and feels he doesn't need the PTB. And maybe he doesn't. The lack of funds probably bothers the president and ADAG way more than Harsin. 

Only thing I could think it would affect would be NIL 🤷🏻‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Great, you need to become our (forum)NIL expert. It’s usually you lawyer types.

That's another thing. the NIL.

It's out there in a black hole it seems. The man in charge, I think his name is Davidson(Buddy's son I think?), basically got it dumped in his lap.

So, I think its a slow process to do it right. But NIL is going to have to be factor for important signees.

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What do you think that means, though? Specifically. 

I honestly have no idea. Reduction of money for NIL deals?

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And that's the only context in which it was brought up. (Page 19 if anyone is curious.) Ultimately the thread goes back to cultural fit, and Harsin's family's happiness in Auburn, Alabama is part of that. That situation in the fall- when pictures of a family that dresses a little differently than most locals were shared, and conservative locals offered opinions at that time- is just one small brush stroke added to the larger picture. 

If we took the names out of it and just said, "PNW family moves to small town Alabama and locals have opinions on their style choices", literally everyone reading this would say, "Well, yeah." 

If we took the names out of it and just said, "PNW family moves to small town Alabama and don't immediately acclimate to local cultural norms", literally everyone reading this would say, "Well, yeah."

If we took the names out of it and just said, "Breadwinning husband moves family from where they've been their whole lives to an extremely different part of the country, and his work situation is more rocky than expected and they aren't immediately acclimating to local cultural norms, and it's making the husband wonder if he's made the right choice", literally everyone reading this would say, "Well, yeah."

That's all it is. 

As others have said, no matter the topic, somebody's going to discuss it in an immature way. I've got no problem with addressing those posts as they happen, as occurred in this thread. Somebody made a stupid comment about Kes Harsin's appearance and was immediately reprimanded for it. Unfortunately, things got conflated as they tend to. I do agree that a coach's family member being involved raises the stakes on that a little but it was dealt with and at this point the pursuant noise is just that. 

I’m confused at how saying saying someone’s wife or family member is attractive is “weird” or “off limits “  if you or anyone else tells me my wife or daughter is good looking/attractive I’m like damn straight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed

Absolutely and that's what worries me the most. We are going to end up with one or two OL in this class. That is completely unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Because they are desperate for literally anyone to remember they exist. 

I guess they felt like we were hijacking an exchange that was arguing about something that had nothing to do with the original topic.  🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1