Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

Gus was fired bc he was a white good ole southern christian boy (WASP)

I don’t have a dog in this fight but has that not also described Harsin except a southern like guy that wasn’t born in the south? That’s how he’s always seemed like to me 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

I truly believe there are a solid contingent of people on here that were very, very angry when Gus was fired bc he was a white good ole southern christian boy (WASP), who walked the walk and talked the talk, while toeing the line.  They loved Gus to death and couldn't see the fault in his schemes, roster mismanagement, etc.

The poster you replied to said as much in one of her posts last month about "why the auburn family doesn't like Harsin".   This contingent hated Harsin since day 1 so they are loving the fact that they could be right.

I’m not going to go that far but Gus has always been a very , there I say, emphasis person. It was and still the same way at Arkansas. There is a Springdale cult that are extremely loyal to him. 

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

I truly believe there are a solid contingent of people on here that were very, very angry when Gus was fired bc he was a white good ole southern christian boy (WASP), who walked the walk and talked the talk, while toeing the line.  They loved Gus to death and couldn't see the fault in his schemes, roster mismanagement, etc.

The poster you replied to said as much in one of her posts last month about "why the auburn family doesn't like Harsin".   This contingent hated Harsin since day 1 so they are loving the fact that they could be right.

In defense of "them", there's no way they could have seen Gus' faults and not feel a change was necessary.  Perhaps they love Gus the man and also realized a change was needed?  Perhaps they felt that IF a change was made that things may get worse?

All of those statements could be correct, but CBH has done near nothing to prove to "them" that the change was a good thing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

The narrative on this hire changes almost daily, CBH hasn't turned it into a positive narrative in 3 months!  It's been spiraling downward since November.

When you lose 5 straight at a place like Auburn how can anyone expect fans to be excited and positive?  When you fail to address the most deficient position group on the roster and proceed to lose seasoned skill players (QB/WR), now the coordinator carousel and rumors of you drawing the ire of the PTB $$ folks, the faith in the HC just lessens. 

Hey I totally agree that the doubt and unhappiness that has developed in the past few months (this last one specifically) is completely warranted. My point is that there are groups of posters here that have been this way since the very beginning when we didn’t know anything about Bryan Harsin and company. I remember posters being **** on because they were optimistic this could work out and haven’t been straight doom and gloom at every turn of events since this. This has nothing to do with poster who have grown to feel this way because even I am doubting at this point. However you can’t tell me there hasn’t been a narrative being pushed by some here every single chance they’ve gotten it. People constantly talk about how posters are ostracized because they share critical opinions of Harsin but literally all I see are criticisms with a few rational posters sprinkled in and a few sunshine pumpers sprinkled in. There has been a good majority of this board that has been dooms day since day one and they had no reason to be so again, I’m not talking about people who recently developed this feeling. I’m talking about people who had him failing before he even stepped foot off the plane. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t have a dog in this fight but has that not also described Harsin except a southern like guy that wasn’t born in the south? That’s how he’s always seemed like to me 

Not according to Tigerbelle's contingent of old whites... He's also Mormon which basically makes him the devil down south. I don't really care about any of that, though, Harsin could be just like Belichek as long as he starts pulling in Ws.

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

I think if you put together a Venn diagram of the fans and alums who wanted Turner Gill circa the CGC hire and Gus fans, you'd find a lot of overlap, including this alum. Skin color has nothing to do with it, character does. Anything else is just race-baiting. They may have both been mediocre football coaches, but by most accounts, they were good men. There's nothing wrong with wanted AU's coaches to represent the university's and alum's values. 

We haven't hit Mike Price/Rich Rod territory yet, as bad as things seem. There is no way to know what happened with Davis - 30-something men get serious medical diagnoses every day, and so do their parents/siblings (if he has any). He may be the subject of multiple paternity suits or a criminal investigation. Or he may just have decided that college coaching is the loony bin. We don't know, and might not ever. Move on. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I’m not going to go that far but Gus has always been a very , there I say, emphasis person. It was and still the same way at Arkansas. There is a Springdale cult that are extremely loyal to him. 

I was exagerating but was also kinda pulling from that rant TBelle had last month, I think you were privy to it or maybe it was W.E.D.

Honestly though @W.E.D needs like a insider checkmark or something. He is the WOJ of this site. He has broken like two or three stories that have all been true now lol

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

There is that too, lol. Obviously we don't know for sure but the thing that adds a kernel of truth to it is that we have seen this before with NFL hires. In general, they seem to work their way back to the NFL as soon as they can anyway. Many look at it as a stop gap with more than one saying they don't like the recruiting aspect. 

Yeah something tells me he’ll have a new job soon. Unless something tragic happens, this is just too odd to believe. Who knows. If it’s serious then I hope he gets help. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

In defense of "them", there's no way they could have seen Gus' faults and not feel a change was necessary.  Perhaps they love Gus the man and also realized a change was needed?  Perhaps they felt that IF a change was made that things may get worse?

All of those statements could be correct, but CBH has done near nothing to prove to "them" that the change was a good thing. 

These are all valid points, I amend my prior statement to concur these very valid possibilities. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Skin color has nothing to do with it, character does. 

This is the south, if you don't think skin color and religion doesn't play into these things for some people then you are naive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Didba said:

Not according to Tigerbelle's contingent of old whites... He's also Mormon which basically makes him the devil down south. I don't really care about any of that, though, Harsin could be just like Belichek as long as he starts pulling in Ws.

You've gone over the line with this.  Neither race or religion should enter this conversation IMO.

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Hhmmm...stepping away from coaching after moving the family 3000 miles.  My two cents is the wife went ape-s*** leaving Seattle and said you're not leaving me in this red-neck hell hole while you spend all your time traveling the Southeast.  

Redneck Hell Hole? Where did he move her to, Sand Mountain? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

I really struggle with the concept of being die-hard supporters of any particular coach, unless someone has a direct link to them.  They are mercenaries to me.  I wanted Gus to succeed, just as I wanted all of his predecessors to succeed.  If they succeed, Auburn succeeds, and that is all I care about.  It finally became clear, to those that mattered anyway, that Gus was not going to succeed.  Getting fired was obviously a personal low for him, but he also left much wealthier than he arrived.

Now I want Harsin to succeed, and that is what I will continue to want until it becomes clear that he is not going to.  I cannot rationalize being against the man before he was even finished unpacking his office.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Didba said:

This is the south, if you don't think skin color and religion doesn't play into these things for some people then you are naive.

Prejudice raises its ugly head in many different places and in many different ways.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Redneck Hell Hole? Where did he move her to, Sand Mountain? 

I heard about them snakes up there. Those folks are no joke. In fact, they might cross over from redneck into hillbilly. 

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

In my personal opinion, Davis should have offered a PUBLIC apology for wasting Harsin’s time.  Yeah, he praised Harsin, but all the while screwing him over at the same time. My anger is toward Davis right now.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I heard about them snakes up there. Those folks are no joke. In fact, they might cross over from redneck into hillbilly. 

Eh, I'm one of them and turned out alright, but man there's not much to do up there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 3rdgeneration said:

In my personal opinion, Davis should have offered a PUBLIC apology for wasting Harsin’s time.  Yeah, he praised Harsin, but all the while screwing him over at the same time. My anger is toward Davis right now.    

That would seem appropriate to me also.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Are you sure Davis wasn't misled about something, though? Are you not moved at all by the fact that Harsin has now had 3 coaches make lateral or downward moves out of the program in short order? After firing two other guys less than a year in? 

I don't feel like an assumption that Harsin is owed an apology here is based on facts. 

26 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

You have GOT to be *%#++%#* me

Glad you could join us ….

and No we are not $/&;)/&-@/$:!/&/!;!;’ you