New Program GM and Scouting/Development Director

au302

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

This guy is going to be a talent scout? He cannot recruit off-campus, so that's out. He could go watch and evaluate prospects but not contact them. Maybe he'll give us a big boost in scouting up-coming opponents?

My thoughts were he will be the guy evaluating film and finding talent, and then sending out recruiters to do their magic.

I know nothing of his personality, but I'd bet we have better staff that can connect and close the deal than a career NFL scout.

He can be the guy that finds the guys that have next level intangibles and fit what we are trying to do scheme wise. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 6:05 AM, aucom96 said:

It sounds like a great hire, but unless he can motivate boosters to spend NIL money, I doubt it means much. 

Maybe his chops is just what the boosters need to see to get them to support NIL. A guy with this type of background talking to boosters sure can't hurt. I think this was great hire but time will tell.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

Thank God! We desperately need somebody who knows what NFL talent looks like. Now all we need is some kind of community liaison and we'll finally be able to get started to being a legit top program.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I assume this was Harsin’s hire.  This is the most impressive hire he has made (to me), and I was impressed with Etheridge and keeping him this offseason.  Kudos to Harsin.  Knocked it out of the park.  

Great hire!

He will act as a GM of football operations, scout HS/Juco/Portal talent and act as a liaison to the NFL. 

This is a very professional hire, kudo's to CBH & AD Greene. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, JerryAU said:

Great hire!

He will act as a GM of football operations, scout HS/Juco/Portal talent and act as a liaison to the NFL. 

This is a very professional hire, kudo's to CBH & AD Greene. 

Woah, woah, woah... we don't do that here... negativity only. Please leave.

/s

Edited by Didba
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Thank God! We desperately need somebody who knows what NFL talent looks like. Now all we need is some kind of community liaison and we'll finally be able to get started to being a legit top program.

Feel like we have a good idea what they look like, just can't convince them to come here.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Feel like we have a good idea what they look like, just can't convince them to come here.

Yeah I may be blurring that with the message board a bit but that's where a community liaison or whatever you want to title it comes in

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Honestly, look no further than our own conference to know what NFL talent looks like. 

This new guy is a pro at scouting talent for the pro's and he will be in charge of identifying HS/Juco/Portal talent that if developed properly (get it done CBH) will translate to Auburn putting more talent in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Do some of you wake up every morning and say "I wonder how negative I can be today"

I've often wondered that its so easy to be a negative person.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

This guy is going to be a talent scout? He cannot recruit off-campus, so that's out. He could go watch and evaluate prospects but not contact them. Maybe he'll give us a big boost in scouting up-coming opponents?

Some are saying look at this guy as the AD of football only. He is definitely a Hars guy, as the Cowboys have apparently embraced the Boise philosophy greatly, and there are multiple connections between the Cowboys and Boise. The question I have is if his employment is tied to Harsin, or if he's going to be a Roberts guy. Basically a co-AD with Allen Greene. Greene handles every other sport, and this guy runs football. Conducts searches for coaches, etc. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, aucom96 said:

It sounds like a great hire, but unless he can motivate boosters to spend NIL money, I doubt it means much. 

During the recruiting process, it is against NCAA RULES to even mention NlL much less sign them to a contract.  NCAA made that determination a couple of months ago.  So for those schools that are offering NIL contracts during the recruiting process is violating NCAA rules and Auburn by not offering contracts is operating within the rules.

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Some are saying look at this guy as the AD of football only. He is definitely a Hars guy, as the Cowboys have apparently embraced the Boise philosophy greatly, and there are multiple connections between the Cowboys and Boise. The question I have is if his employment is tied to Harsin, or if he's going to be a Roberts guy. Basically a co-AD with Allen Greene. Greene handles every other sport, and this guy runs football. Conducts searches for coaches, etc. 

thats quite a stretch with the given information I have seen (coAD, hiring coaches).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope people give this guy a chance. We are the only fan base i see when one guy does well, we pit it against another guy at a different position to make them look good/bad. The most silly things too, only we'll come up with these quarters another coach was coaching, or it was actually the intern who implemented this particular weeks game plan and stupid stuff like that, which in the long run really hurts us

• Like 4

Auburn made a huge move on Monday, bringing Cowboys National Scout Drew Fabianich from Dallas to the Plains to be their General Manager and Director of Football Scouting and Development.

The move was met with great praise, as Jim Nagy — former NFL scout and Executive Director of the Reese’s Senior Bowl — took to Twitter to share his opinion.

“Drew is a great addition for @AuburnFootball,” wrote Nagy. “He brings high level of expertise to @CoachHarsin’s football operation. Smart programs are adding NFL scouts as most are shifting to more of a pro personnel model.”

Moreover, Fabianich had been with the Dallas Cowboys organization since 2004, spanning nearly two decades with the NFL organization. Now, he’s taking his talents to the college game amid multiple NFL offers.

Continuing, Bryan Harsin is adding Fabianich as the Tigers continue to build their recruiting staff and attempt to compete in the recruiting arms race within the SEC. Now, they bring in one of the top scouts from inside the NFL, being part of 18 drafts with the Cowboys. Fabianich has been part of drafts that include Zack MartinDak PrescottTyron Smith, and DeMarcus Ware. It’s an impressive resume.

Fabianich will now wear multiple hats on the Plains, serving as a general manager first. Recruiting will be a huge aspect but so will the transfer portal. As the Director of Football Scouting, Auburn will now have somebody looking at current college players who are looking for new homes. Fabianich will be the one running the show.

Most importantly, this shows what is to come in college football. As NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport mentioned on Twitter, programs are beginning to look more and more like NFL franchises. He says Fabianich “won’t be the last” to jump from the NFL into the college ranks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

thats quite a stretch with the given information I have seen (coAD, hiring coaches).

It may be, but would be very forward thinking and make sense. An On3 insider is saying that he's a joint hire by Hars and Burgess. Literally a football GM. He is there to help Hars succeed, but in the event Hars fails, he will help Burgess conduct the next search, like a GM of an NFL team would do. Seems plausible to me

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

because of constant negativity from the media and our own fans, Harsin has made more moves in 1 year then the last 4 Auburn coaches combine, and if Saban/Kirby had made a hire like what Harsin just made, the media would be pulling on there nut sack until the cows come home. Question? why is it that this coach is so victimize?? I can't recall no other coach who has been so scrutinize why? I believe a lot of people know what we have and are scared because Harsin is different, that dude, he will not be control. We need to sit down keep our pot hole shut and let this coach do his job and support where needed. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, au302 said:

It may be, but would be very forward thinking and make sense. An On3 insider is saying that he's a joint hire by Hars and Burgess. Literally a football GM. He is there to help Hars succeed, but in the event Hars fails, he will help Burgess conduct the next search, like a GM of an NFL team would do. Seems plausible to me

Greene will continue to hire ALL coaches and the next FOOTBALL coach IF necessary I know that is the over all problem at Auburn is the man heading the AD dept be man enough to say so.

If he can scout high school/JUCO players and identify 2 and 3* players with higher potential, we could use that. For the time being many 4 and 5* prospects are looking elsewhere. Maybe this guy can dig up some of Coach Tuberville's "diamonds in the rough". If Harsin is to win, those are the type of guys who will have to get it done.

• Like 2

The reality of the situation is this. This was a needed hire because we aren’t coming close to getting the high end talent we so desperately need to compete with our rivals so we need all hands on deck to be able to identify the Roger McCreary’s of the recruiting world. The guys who aren’t blue chip prospects in high school but develop in to big time nfl draft prospects. Rappaport actually taking time to tweet about this tells me it is a big time hire. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eaglenest said:

because of constant negativity from the media and our own fans, Harsin has made more moves in 1 year then the last 4 Auburn coaches combine, and if Saban/Kirby had made a hire like what Harsin just made, the media would be pulling on there nut sack until the cows come home. Question? why is it that this coach is so victimize?? I can't recall no other coach who has been so scrutinize why? I believe a lot of people know what we have and are scared because Harsin is different, that dude, he will not be control. We need to sit down keep our pot hole shut and let this coach do his job and support where needed. 

Negative recruiting coming from opposing coaches really having an impact imo

7 hours ago, Didba said:

Negative recruiting coming from opposing coaches really having an impact imo

Everyone gets negative recruited against. You got to be a good enough recruiter to overcome it. Last 2 coaches a lot of the recruiting excuses were about negative recruiting…

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, eaglenest said:

because of constant negativity from the media and our own fans,

Bless your heart

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Everyone gets negative recruiter. You got to be a good enough recruiter to overcome it. Last 2 coaches a lot of the recruiting excuses were about negative recruiting…

We get painted as a not pulling in the same direction program and that get used against us because the head coach is always the point of emphasis, which in turn looks like unstableness.. because it is well documented that we have to many meddlers behind the scenes.

• Like 1