Friday Scrimmage: TJ Finley QB1

W.E.D

4 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

If Ashford is behind the others in throwing, he cannot succeed here as QB. Not in this system especially. 

This isn't 2013 with a stud line and a QB that can drop bombs as a tertiary to an insane rushing attack. 

I'm not saying it is 2013. He must have some throwing ability since he's seems to be #2 at the moment and it's pretty clear he's going to play some no matter who starts out of TJ and ZC.

7 hours ago, DAG said:

That quote says he was firing better that day. Does not say he looked the best in camp. No it’s not concerning. There are days the Rookies look better than the vets in the NFL during preseason. It’s not that deep. 

He hasn't had many opportunities in camp. The possible concern is that he may be getting increased reps and it's two weeks before our first game. I'm not saying it's deep but i think it could be telling. 

3 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He hasn't had many opportunities in camp. The possible concern is that he may be getting increased reps and it's two weeks before our first game. I'm not saying it's deep but i think it could be telling. 

So? You reading too much into this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

So? You reading too much into this. 

If that's how you take it. I just find it interesting. Yes, it could possibly be telling if your true freshmen is getting increased reps 2 weeks before the season. 

11 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

But Harsin isn't one for heavy coach speak. 

Every coach is.

Holden isn't going to play much if any this year

Just now, W.E.D said:

Every coach is.

Holden isn't going to play much if any this year

I do hope that is the case b/c it will mean someone has stepped up. 

• Like 1

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I do hope that is the case b/c it will mean someone has stepped up. 

someone has stepped up . His name is TJ Finley. Or are you foregoing the quotes the staff has said about him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DAG said:

someone has stepped up . His name is TJ Finley. Or are you foregoing the quotes the staff has said about him. 

Yes, he's our likely starter. Doesn't mean he'll be leading us throughout the season. I hope he has figured it out. But I'm not going to ignore what i've seen. On the field play will determine how we move forward with the position.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cole256 said:

Basically we're going into the season like we did with Bo......sometimes good sometimes bad. Never great. We're doing last year all over again

Ulysses Grant once said “…war..war never changes” 

Football is kinda like a mental war and we say War Eagle, thus we are forever destined to be in the same situation year after year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Yes, he's our likely starter. Doesn't mean he'll be leading us throughout the season. I hope he has figured it out. But I'm not going to ignore what i've seen. On the field play will determine how we move forward with the position.

And a coach saying someone can sling doesn’t mean a QB is ready to start . See how that works?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

If Ashford is behind the others in throwing, he cannot succeed here as QB. Not in this system especially. 

This isn't 2013 with a stud line and a QB that can drop bombs as a tertiary to an insane rushing attack. 

Which is why I didn't understand us going for Ashford.

Just now, DAG said:

And a coach saying someone can sling doesn’t mean a QB is ready to start . See how that works?

Did i say he should start? 

Did i say he should start? 

You said should it be a cause for concern ? What else could you possibly be alluding to based on such a question ? 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You said should it be a cause for concern ? What else could you possibly be alluding to based on such a question ? 

It's an observation. I didn't say he should be starting. I didn't allude to anything of the such. Seems like that's how YOU'RE taking it. In what situation have you known a team that has 3 QBs contending to be a starter, has a true freshman get increased reps in camp 2 weeks prior to the season? Name a CFB team that has done that. Therefore, i just took notice. I'm not saying it means he should start. C'mon man. 

But could it be a little concerning...yes. If you don't think so then fine. I do. We can agree to disagree and leave it there.

3 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

It's an observation. I didn't say he should be starting. I didn't allude to anything of the such. Seems like that's how YOU'RE taking it. In what situation have you known a team that has 3 QBs contending to be a starter, has a true freshman get increased reps in camp 2 weeks prior to the season? Name a CFB team that has done that. Therefore, i just took notice. I'm not saying it means he should start. C'mon man. 

But could it be a little concerning...yes. If you don't think so then fine. I do. We can agree to disagree and leave it there.

I can almost bet you every team in our conference has done that. It is getting closer to the season, the older guys have shown enough, let the younger guys get more reps. Hence, why you are the only person besides another on this thread who thinks he is the best QB on the roster to take that as meaningful lol. So, yes we can agree to disagree, you can be concern about that stuff. 

Edited by DAG

Just now, DAG said:

I can almost bet you every team in our conference has done that. Hence, why you are the only person besides another on this thread who thinks he is the best QB on the roster to take that as meaningful lol. So, yes we can agree to disagree, you can be concern about that stuff. 

Clearly you have a reading and comprehension issue because i never said Holden is the best QB on the roster. 

Clearly you have a reading and comprehension issue because i never said Holden is the best QB on the roster. 

Clearly you do. I said the only person(s) who have made notice of this statement BESIDES you, is someone who thinks the true freshman is the best QB currently on the roster.

• Love 1

I think the truth of the matter is people rode of the resiliency of T.J. They have seen one season of him (Incomplete mind you) and placed him in a box. Now it is angst that he has shown to be the best ("No that couldn't be it, the other guys just aren't good enough."). Come on man.  He has been under this staff now for a full year, he knows the playbook, maybe he is that dude now. I know that is hard to believe. Doesn't mean he is going to be Joe Burrow like, nor do we need him to be in order to succeed.

He wanted to compete and he seemed to have succeeded. BTW, the last guy (Who didn't want competition), go read about their last fall scrimmage. Iron sharpens Iron. Stop assuming the worst from these players.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

I just simply think our QB race will not be over until we start playing the better teams and see if there's actually improvement. I believe all 3 QBs have the ability to get us to a 3-2 record at worst record the first 5 games if they started. Therefore, it wouldn't be a big surprise if we started 4-1. However, October will be very telling. That part of the schedule will absolutely show what we actually have at QB. 

• Like 3

I'm sorry, but I watched him throw too many passes at receiver's feet.  And on the short crossing patterns and slants he threw fast balls that were too high and hard for receivers to handle,.. I'm at a you gotta show me you've fixed those 2 problems before I can be all in or get excited about Finley.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Ulysses Grant once said “…war..war never changes” 

Football is kinda like a mental war and we say War Eagle, thus we are forever destined to be in the same situation year after year. 

If that were true (war never changes) we would see large boulders knocking buildings down instead of intricate weapons.

20 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

So is in order to have a informed opinion (praise or critique) on the performance of a player or a position group one must have to physically watch the player in real time? 

I liken it to appraising a house by actually seeing it. It helps.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

If that were true (war never changes) we would see large boulders knocking buildings down instead of intricate weapons.

Ugh. Regardless of the means, the extreme cost, brutality, and collateral damage are the same. Competition is competition the grind is the grind. No helmets or high tech domes, some challenges and conflicts are the same generation to generation (except to the literalists).