Friday Scrimmage: TJ Finley QB1

W.E.D

6 minutes ago, AUx said:

Ugh. Regardless of the means, the extreme cost, brutality, and collateral damage are the same. Competition is competition the grind is the grind. No helmets or high tech domes, some challenges and conflicts are the same generation to generation (except to the literalists).  

Guess I totally misunderstood your inuendo within your comment.

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I'm sorry, but I watched him throw too many passes at receiver's feet.  And on the short crossing patterns and slants he threw fast balls that were too high and hard for receivers to handle,.. I'm at a you gotta show me you've fixed those 2 problems before I can be all in or get excited about Finley.....

Okay bud. That’s your choice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I'm sorry, but I watched him throw too many passes at receiver's feet.  And on the short crossing patterns and slants he threw fast balls that were too high and hard for receivers to handle,.. I'm at a you gotta show me you've fixed those 2 problems before I can be all in or get excited about Finley.....

And so very slow.  Like wearing concrete cleats. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I just simply think our QB race will not be over until we start playing the better teams and see if there's actually improvement. I believe all 3 QBs have the ability to get us to a 3-2 record at worst record the first 5 games if they started. Therefore, it wouldn't be a big surprise if we started 4-1. However, October will be very telling. That part of the schedule will absolutely show what we actually have at QB. 

2nd that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I liken it to appraising a house by actually seeing it. It helps.

Absolutely! No question that it helps but many of our opinions and beliefs are formed from outside sources. And often it’s the case that this all we have to lean on to form these opinions. Point being made…discrediting a individuals perspective on the argument of the absence of first hand observed experience lacks intellectual integrity.  

War Eagle whomever the QB is!!! 😀

Edited by GreenTiger
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 9:19 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Auburn fans haven’t been 100% behind a starting QB since 2017 lol 

You're gonna hurt some Sean White fanboys' feelings...right @CleCoTiger ?

On 8/20/2022 at 11:12 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

It can be traced back even further. I remember my drunk uncle yelling for Josh Sullivan to start over Jason Campbell back in 2003. 

And one in the middle...Jeremy Johnson v Nick Marshall. TuckerToCam (Scout forum) walked to the top of that hill early in 2013 Fall practice and finally died there about a year later.

30 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

So now Hoke says " The Qb race is a very close, intense battle".   The question is ... between who?

Seems like a lot of walling stuff back in his article and reporting on this race overall. Idk he'd been pushing Calzada hard, then had to say he was 3rd and locked the original thread. 

He was bad for a few days, then all of a sudden he's not as bad as he's been saying. 

I'm honestly not sure Hoke has a handle on this QB race

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Seems like a lot of walling stuff back in his article and reporting on this race overall. Idk he'd been pushing Calzada hard, then had to say he was 3rd and locked the original thread. 

He was bad for a few days, then all of a sudden he's not as bad as he's been saying. 

I'm honestly not sure Hoke has a handle on this QB race

I'm not sure anyone does. Just seems to me, after reading between the lines, that Finley should have been named starter already. 

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not sure anyone does. Just seems to me, after reading between the lines, that Finley should have been named starter already. 

Yeah, I feel like it's probably a formality for the media/fans more than anything.  I'd have to imagine the team knows when they see TJ taking 90% of the 1st team snaps

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:12 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

It can be traced back even further. I remember my drunk uncle yelling for Josh Sullivan to start over Jason Campbell back in 2003. 

Even further than that….

I remember (vaguely) as a drunken student yelling for Pat Nix to start over Stan White, then D Craig to start over Pat Nix, and then Jon Cooley to start over D Craig!!!!🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I just simply think our QB race will not be over until we start playing the better teams and see if there's actually improvement. I believe all 3 QBs have the ability to get us to a 3-2 record at worst record the first 5 games if they started. Therefore, it wouldn't be a big surprise if we started 4-1. However, October will be very telling. That part of the schedule will absolutely show what we actually have at QB. 

This is the correct answer. I don’t really care what they look like now (unless they’re dreadful in practice/scrimmage). We will find out in a few weeks. 

The first two games are try outs for the PSU game imo. If you can’t make the throws, read the defense, make your progressions, make plays, etc against Mercer or SJSU then there’s really no reason to think you can do it against PSU. 

I cannot buy stock in any of them until they make plays in 2022. I hope Finley has improved. Would be a great story, but I just don’t know how much better he can be. Hope I’m wrong. 

I started drinking the kool aid like I do every year after being very pessimistic all off season and I’m starting to back off my optimism. I just need to see what they can do on the field. 

• Like 4

On 8/19/2022 at 10:23 PM, weagl1 said:

I really think the competition will continue on through the first couple of games.  Let’s see who looks best when the real action starts.  Whoever it is just needs to be the best the day PSU shows up and that’s another month away.  A lot can happen between now and then.  

I really think coaches will have their starter by this weekend.  Then start on Monday giving him all reps with 1st team, put the game plan in place and let him know he's the man and it's his position to lose.  Then IF we get up handily on Mercer/SanJoseSt give the #2/#3 QBs some PT late in games.   I just feel like QB #1 needs to get a ton of reps with the 1's to get timing down, routes ironed out and get the oline in sync.  

Of course the coaches may stretch this thing out till PSU game and see where we are then?  IDK?

This is just my opinion and only going off what I read in articles.   But it sounds like Auburn doesn’t have a true #1 and if someone doesn’t step up it’s going to be a long year.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I prefer this procedure

Boiiiiing!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

where the h*** are we going to find those?

I'd settle for a Nick Marshall.

Most underappreciated QB in modern history relative to his accomplishments!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'd settle for a Nick Marshall.

Most underappreciated QB in modern history relative to his accomplishments!

No kidding. I could watch his highlights all day. Probably my favorite Auburn Tiger ever, barely edging out Cadillac. 

Nick was born to run Gus’ offense. Imagine if he had a real QB coach who could fix some of that raw talent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

where the h*** are we going to find those?

image.gif

• Like 1