When does Harsin get fired?

AUinMS9528

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

IF this were to happen it would be another example of how important it is to get that first HC gig. Its almost like once you get the first one you keep getting recycled no matter how badly you fail. The NFL has been notorious for that although they’ve broken out of that mold last 5-10 years

True

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Look  I didn't say it would happen.  Thamel broke Harsin coming to AU. Thamel was also one the reporters that Harsin called during the coup attempt in Feb. Hence the TIFWIW disclaimer

I quoted you

If Zac is going to be named interim HC, then I say let's go for it sooner rather than later. Maybe he becomes our Dabo. Clemson went from a midseason disaster to Dabo & all that's happened since. So many of y'all have talked about the difficulty of getting an "established" coach. But it's not just us. Tennessee gets mentioned a lot in this vein for obvious reasons. But we can also talk about Florida since Meyer left. Some of us can remember all that LSU went through before Saban got there. Or even Alabama before Saban got there. Or Texas before & after Mack Brown. Or... y'all know what I'm talking about. Then there are the "hot young coaches" everybody wants. Like Scot Frost or Tom Herman or Will Muschamp or Justin Fuentes. Now nobody wants them. And then there are the coaches nobody wanted from the beginning like Pittman. All of this is why I hate coach searches. I just think it's a crap shoot no matter who you hire. So let's give Zac a chance & maybe he could be our Dabo. That would be the best thing I can imagine at this point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

When he does become one, he will be at a school like Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Bama, etc. Auburn doesn’t get coaches that are “good d1 SEC West fits. We get guys we hope will be that. Some do and some don’t pan out.

Thing is every one of those schools have also had coaches that didn’t pan out. It happens to everyone, we still gotta try. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Seems like bait to me, probably bs

That said.. We don't even need an athletic director -- just funnel whatever salary the ad would have made in to the offer for dion and his staff and let's get the recruiting back on track.

Sanders has zero qualifications to be the head coach at Auburn. He recruited ONE top player to Jackson State because he sold the kid on attending an HBCU. He won't have that to sell at AU.

Hiring a guy who is not a coach by profession would be a disaster. On top of all the things Sanders doesn't know about being a head football coach, he could walk away laughing at his slightest whim. He's not a coach, he's a showman who is putting on his show at Jackson State at the moment. They can stand a season or two of foolishness in exchange for the notoriety. Auburn can't.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Sanders has zero qualifications to be the head coach at Auburn. He recruited ONE top player to Jackson State because he sold the kid on attending an HBCU. He won't have that to sell at AU.

Hiring a guy who is not a coach by profession would be a disaster. On top of all the things Sanders doesn't know about being a head football coach, he could walk away laughing at his slightest whim. He's not a coach, he's a showman who is putting on his show at Jackson State at the moment. They can stand a season or two of foolishness in exchange for the notoriety. Auburn can't.

What are the qualifications to be a head coach at Auburn? 

How do you determine if somebody is a coach by profession? 

I don’t think your premise on the HBCU being the determinant of Travis Hunter enrolling in is correct, think more towards the NIL $$$ figures. But for the sake of argument, 19 of the 20 best all time recruits at Jackson State is under Deion Sanders (all 5,4, or 3 stars). From what I know from the internet, seems as though Jackson State has been an HBCU before Deion Sanders was there. But it’s not a coincidence the talent level for Jackson State’s roster improved when Deion Sanders arrived, because the HBCU card has always been out there for the previous coaches of Jackson State. 

If Deion is able to bring money into Jackson State as well as talented players that really don’t have any business being at Jackson State, as well as having Jackson State involved in the final 6 of many SEC targets and get SEC targets to come to Jackson State, I firmly do believe he can fix Auburn’s recruiting snafu. 

Is Deion my choice in Auburn next HC? No. But I don’t really understand the hostility towards a man who hasn’t really done anything wrong other than he himself and be a ball coach.

• Like 5

On 9/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, Viper said:

No. 8 wins would have been a miracle all off-season. We didn't need PSU to show us how bad it really is.

It's the worst AU O-Line I've ever seen, both pre-season and watching it for 3 games. Cubelic had it graded as a minus in August. One of the pumpers argued with me on that.

Some of us have been trying to warn the pumpers for impact. Some of us for several months now. Some of us since last November. But they'd rather deem us idiots and ask why we won't stick up for our HC.

Now they finally see that mangled, totaled car being towed to the junk yard and no longer need us to tell them.

Oh definitely I knew that going into the season. PSU didn’t show me anything I didn’t know already. 

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Taco said:

What are the qualifications to be a head coach at Auburn? 

Significant experience coaching football.

13 minutes ago, Taco said:

How do you determine if somebody is a coach by profession? 

That's what they do for a living. It's their career.

15 minutes ago, Taco said:

19 of the 20 best all time recruits at Jackson State is under Deion Sanders (all 5,4, or 3 stars).

19 of the 20 best recruits in Jackson State history. Isn't that like being the valedictorian of summer school?

18 minutes ago, Taco said:

Is Deion my choice in Auburn next HC? No. But I don’t really understand the hostility towards a man who hasn’t really done anything wrong other than he himself and be a ball coach.

There is no hostility, at least from me. My objection is that he simply doesn't have the necessary background or qualifications for the position. Be a ball coach? It's something he's tried for a couple of years now. It's not his lifetime calling.

58 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Significant experience coaching football.

That's what they do for a living. It's their career.

19 of the 20 best recruits in Jackson State history. Isn't that like being the valedictorian of summer school?

There is no hostility, at least from me. My objection is that he simply doesn't have the necessary background or qualifications for the position. Be a ball coach? It's something he's tried for a couple of years now. It's not his lifetime calling.

He’s been coaching since 2012 in some sort of format. Won 4 state titles as the OC of Trinity Christian in TX before taking Jackson State. The Jackson State experiment has gone pretty well too in my humble opinion. 

This is Deion Sanders’ living and career. Does he have other business ventures? Sure, but so does other coaches who opens up camps, restaurants, and do commercials. 

I guess if you want to go down the summer school analogy, he’s convinced these kids to come to summer school in Jackson, Mississippi, when they’ve the chance to go to summer camp. You know, the same issue the past two coaches have struggled to convince kids to come to the summer camp in Auburn, Alabama. 

There may not be any hostility, but calling a ball coach that’s had to shrug off people calling him an “act” or “showman” while winning as a ball coach, where he’s had the opportunity to coach at, is pretty disrespectful. What’s crazier for me is that there’s plenty of former players who have become coaches, even Coach Gus Malzahn, Coach Bryan Harsin, etc., only difference is, Deion Sanders was a very successful player. Sanders has been in the world of football since whenever he started playing, to when he was an on-tv analyst, to now coaching football since 2012, but it’s somebody who has probably never coached a game in football who’s calling this man’s job not his “lifetime calling.”

Pretty bush to me. 

Edited by Taco
Words
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

It's incredibly disrespectful to look at Deion as anything other than a real HC, esp. when he's succeeded in all the off the field aspects of building a modern powerhouse that our football coaches have done a wonderful job at sucking at. Jackson State is a show - win or lose. They are a process players want to be a part of. 

He might not be playing with real expectations/house money, but the guy has succeeded at building a brand for the last 20-30 years. And that's translated to football at a formerly butt program. We're not going to be good in NIL after sucking for 3 straight years. We're not going to have a ton of free capital whilst paying TWO coaches to do nothing (and some of their associated coaches). We still have some mental blockade on giving the players want and deem cool (there is no good reason why we didn't have orange jerseys OR still be an Under Armour school, I'm sorry). We're going to need a guy with real car salesman skills to make Auburn not bad (forget great) again. He's selling a busted grandma mercedes van to kids who want a 2022 S Class

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

if you told me, "yes Sanders in fact is willing to come to Auburn" I'd say.. hell yes.

even knowing he's a tremendous showman. Auburn can definitely endure the risk reward of such a coach tbh but I knew we were headed for a ten year Tennessee death spiral anyways so at this point I'm willing to roll the dice 

• Like 2

I can’t think of a worse fit than Sanders and Auburn.  Y’all are afraid of becoming UTk?  This would somehow JABA into a worse dumpster fire than Lane fleeing Rocky Top at night.

I don’t know how, I don’t know when, and I don’t completely know the entire why…it just would.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

why? 

uhh yes absolutely I am afraid of that. 

My opinion just based on my gut…

Primetime is flashy, Auburn football is not flashy. That will rub the PTB the wrong way at some point.  Our fans have freaked out over orange jerseys, pop music played during games, nicknaming our stadium the jungle, and countless other details that don’t really matter but don’t “fit” some people’s idealistic view of AU as a traditional, uppity, southern school.  I just don’t see a large enough group of the PTB trusting their precious, precious baby to Deion Sanders.  And if they do, it’s a short leash and micromanagement.  Deion doesn’t strike me as the guy who can be micromanaged.

And that’s just our side of things.  Do you see him happy in Auburn for a long time?  I think he’d view us as a stepping stone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Primetime is flashy, Auburn football is not flashy. That will rub the PTB the wrong way at some point.  Our fans have freaked out over orange jerseys, pop music played during games, nicknaming our stadium the jungle, and countless other details that don’t really matter but don’t “fit” some people’s idealistic view of AU as a traditional, uppity, southern school.  I just don’t see a large enough group of the PTB trusting their precious, precious baby to Deion Sanders.  And if they do, it’s a short leash and micromanagement.  Deion doesn’t strike me as the guy who can be micromanaged.

And that’s just our side of things.  Do you see him happy in Auburn for a long time?  I think he’d view us as a stepping stone.

thatsfair, I can see all of that being the case and I don't think he'd be long term w us if had success coaching here

23 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

You make some very good points.

There were people nervous about stretched Hummer limos used during Big Cat recruiting events. People didn't like the way Harsin's wife or daughter dressed. People terrified of Lane Kiffin's proclivity to be friendly with co-eds, people terrified of Hugh Freeze.

Plenty of people see how Ed Orgeron dumped his wife and started cavorting with young women and think "thank God that didn't happen at Auburn."

Rumors of Terry Bowden having an affair with a women in the athletic department. Then repeat with Harsin.

The PTB at Auburn want boring. They want Shug Jordan, Pat Dye, Gene Chizik, and Gus Malzahn level boring. They look at Nick Saban's boring, but just winning style, and Kirby Smart's boring, but just winning style, and say "why can't we have such nice things?" They envy what Michigan State got with Mel Tucker. They want a Kevin Steele, Charles Kelly style of boring.

That is why Mark Stoops and Sam Pittman would both be good fits for the PTB. And why a Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze would not.

The PTB is not ready for someone with a bigger ego and personality than they believe they themselves have.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HarsinVOL said:

Harsin family coming together...

Negotiations to shorten the $16m buyout? You bet. Bryan can/should be patient? You bet. 

AU was relatively desperate. Forced into selecting a "maybe" HC because they no longer had the pull, the draw, the incentives for a proven SEC coach. Time to pay the piper and don't blame Harsin. He was invited, he came, he was abused and, now, he conquers. 

The only thing Harsin has conquered is the narrative that Kevin Steele was the worst option out there for this program.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, meh130 said:

The PTB at Auburn want boring.

I'll surely take another "Boring" as you say, if it gets us another Pat Dye!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Man this sounds exactly like something that would be said in the 50's

• Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 3
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Man this sounds exactly like something that would be said in the 50's

In the 50's there would have been no mention of Dell McGee being a much, much better choice. That's a statement I made in another post.

I would think by now that you'd be tired of riding that one trick pony you were on when you came here.

PS: Here's what I wrote in the "Hardline Qualifications" thread.

"Compare Sanders to Dell McGee. Dell has a great background in SEC football, is one of the top recruiters around and is well known and respected in coaching circles. Given a choice between only those two, Dell gets the job hands down based on resume alone.

I'm not saying McGee should be our man but he's one of dozens who would be a better pick for Auburn than Sanders."

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 5