Jeremy Garrett New D-Line Coach

toddc

Auburn hires Jeremy Garrett as defensive line coach

Hugh Freeze has hired Liberty’s Jeremy Garrett to be the next defensive line coach at Auburn, sources tell On3’s Matt Zenitz.

Garrett was hired Thursday.

He is not yet in Auburn but is expected to arrive in town in the coming days.

Garrett comes to the Tigers after spending one season with Freeze at Liberty. Before that, he was the assistant defensive line coach for the Cleveland Browns (2020-21). 

In November, On3 named 30 college football assistants whose stock is on the rise and Garrett was on it. 

Garrett played at Ole Miss from 2004-07 and was named Academic All-SEC. Additionally, he was honored as the Chucky Mullins Courage Award winner with the Rebels. Freeze was Ole Miss tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator in 2006-07. 

Garrett began coaching at the high school level in 2010. In 2019 he landed his first college job at Vanderbilt. Then, he was off to the Browns

Per USA Today, “When (Browns) defensive line coach Chris Kiffin was sidelined due to COVID-19 protocols, Garrett stepped in to lead the group against the Green Bay Packers (during the 2021 season).”

From Garrett’s bio at Liberty regarding his time with the Browns “(Garrett) helped the run defense finish ninth in the league after finishing 30th the previous season. He helped DE Myles Garrett earn first team All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors as he ranked among the league leaders in strip-sacks (tied for second with four), forced fumbles (tied for third with four), fumble recoveries (tied for third with two) and sacks (sixth with 12). Along with DE Olivier Vernon (nine), the Browns were one of just four teams to have a pair of teammates each record at least nine sacks in 2020.

The Browns finished the 2021 season fifth in the NFL in total defense, marking just the third time since 1970 the team ranked in the top-five and the club’s highest finish since 1987. Myles Garrett earned first team All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors after setting the franchise single-season record with 16 sacks in 2021, including a team single-game record of 4.5 in Week 3. The 25 combined sacks between Garrett (16) and DE Jadeveon Clowney (9) were the second-most by a pair of Browns teammates in a season, trailing only the 26 by DE Reggie Camp (14) and LB Clay Matthews (12) in 1984.”

Garrett is a native of Senatobia, Miss.

Garrett’s coaching experience: 

2022: Liberty (Defensive line)
2020-21: Cleveland Browns (Asst. Defensive Line)
2019: Vanderbilt (Defensive Quality Control)
2018: Nashville (Tn.) Ensworth High (Head coach)
2011-17: Nashville (Tn.) Ensworth High (defensive assistant)
2010: Southaven (Miss.) High (AC)

• Thanks 1

Liberty defensive stats were good this season, but if these hires result in more Liberty guys… We’ve already been there, done that, with the last 2 HC’s “yes-men.” 

Nothing wrong with a little familiarity, but with all these texts that Freeze reported he received, surely there’s more to choose from than just Liberty assistants.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Liberty defensive stats were good this season, but if these hires result in more Liberty guys… We’ve already been there, done that, with the last 2 HC’s “yes-men.” 

Nothing wrong with a little familiarity, but with all these texts that Freeze reported he received, surely there’s more to choose from than just Liberty assistants.

Definitely more to choose from. But he obviously made his choice.

21 minutes ago, toddc said:

Auburn hires Jeremy Garrett as defensive line coach

Keith Niebuhr•36 minutes

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 10: General view of the Auburn Tigers helmet during their game against the San Jose State Spartans at Jordan-Hare Stadium on September 10, 2022 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images) *** Local Caption ***

Hugh Freeze has hired Liberty’s Jeremy Garrett to be the next defensive line coach at Auburn, sources tell On3’s Matt Zenitz.

Garrett was hired Thursday.

He is not yet in Auburn but is expected to arrive in town in the coming days.

Garrett comes to the Tigers after spending one season with Freeze at Liberty. Before that, he was the assistant defensive line coach for the Cleveland Browns (2020-21). 

In November, On3 named 30 college football assistants whose stock is on the rise and Garrett was on it. 

Garrett played at Ole Miss from 2004-07 and was named Academic All-SEC. Additionally, he was honored as the Chucky Mullins Courage Award winner with the Rebels. Freeze was Ole Miss tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator in 2006-07. 

Garrett began coaching at the high school level in 2010. In 2019 he landed his first college job at Vanderbilt. Then, he was off to the Browns

Per USA Today, “When (Browns) defensive line coach Chris Kiffin was sidelined due to COVID-19 protocols, Garrett stepped in to lead the group against the Green Bay Packers (during the 2021 season).”

From Garrett’s bio at Liberty regarding his time with the Browns “(Garrett) helped the run defense finish ninth in the league after finishing 30th the previous season. He helped DE Myles Garrett earn first team All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors as he ranked among the league leaders in strip-sacks (tied for second with four), forced fumbles (tied for third with four), fumble recoveries (tied for third with two) and sacks (sixth with 12). Along with DE Olivier Vernon (nine), the Browns were one of just four teams to have a pair of teammates each record at least nine sacks in 2020.

The Browns finished the 2021 season fifth in the NFL in total defense, marking just the third time since 1970 the team ranked in the top-five and the club’s highest finish since 1987. Myles Garrett earned first team All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors after setting the franchise single-season record with 16 sacks in 2021, including a team single-game record of 4.5 in Week 3. The 25 combined sacks between Garrett (16) and DE Jadeveon Clowney (9) were the second-most by a pair of Browns teammates in a season, trailing only the 26 by DE Reggie Camp (14) and LB Clay Matthews (12) in 1984.”

Garrett is a native of Senatobia, Miss.

Garrett’s coaching experience: 

2022: Liberty (Defensive line)
2020-21: Cleveland Browns (Asst. Defensive Line)
2019: Vanderbilt (Defensive Quality Control)
2018: Nashville (Tn.) Ensworth High (Head coach)
2011-17: Nashville (Tn.) Ensworth High (defensive assistant)
2010: Southaven (Miss.) High (AC)

this is in auburn articles............

9 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Definitely more to choose from. But he obviously made his choice.

giphy.webp

if these hires result in more Liberty guys

17 minutes ago, Viper said:

i would imagine deepfreeze would know he has been blessed after his past and will act accordingly. and just maybe five years down the road we are kicking behind and people are glad we gave the man a chance.

Edited by aubiefifty

1 minute ago, Viper said:

giphy.webp

if these hires result in more Liberty guys

I got your implication. Mine was that these choices, all of them are his to make. I expect he weighs each one heavily, due to impact to HIS program. He realizes he totes the results.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I got your implication. Mine was that these choices, all of them are his to make. I expect he weighs each one heavily, due to impact to HIS program. He realizes he totes the results.

And if MORE of HIS hires come from Liberty, then WE Auburn fans will be seeing another very familiar pattern that did not work well for the last 2 AU HCs.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

this is in auburn articles............

Something like this needs its own thread. Sorry but I don’t read the articles thread and didn’t see it anywhere.

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

And if MORE of HIS hires come from Liberty, then WE Auburn fans will be seeing another very familiar pattern that did not work well for the last 2 AU HCs.

Then you can be one of the first (or the first) to state he will be fired by 12-1-24.  A win/win for you.  :poke:

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Haha 4

Just now, toddc said:

Something like this needs its own thread. Sorry but I don’t read the articles thread and didn’t see it anywhere.

the mods asked me to bunch the articles together. no need to apologize i just think they want the board less congested if i understood correctly.

• RunInRed changed the title to Jeremy Garrett New D-Line Coach

Having coached at NFL level and seeing how well Liberty D-Line played this is a good hire as far as working with the players. The question mark is how good a recruiter he is. First thing when he gets here is he needs to go visit a couple of D-linemen(Smith and Russaw)  from Montgomery area. He also needs to call Rueben Bain from Miami area.  If he could pull in those 3 it would answer any recruiting issues.

19 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Then you can be one of the first (or the first) to state he will be fired by 12-1-24.  A win/win for you.  :poke:

I’m tired of seeing AU lose. If one Liberty assistant or eight Liberty assistants gets us 10+ wins/season, I’m good with however it works. 

I’m just noting a very familiar road AU has been down multiple, multiple times in the last 2 HC regimes that was noted multiple times on this forum by many of us as “comfortable” and “all they could get” hires that we knew were going to fail.

With all the texts that Freeze stated he received from prospective assistants, he should have an ocean to fish from and not just off the coast of Lynchburg, VA.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Hiring of familiar coaches are usually connected to most new Head Coaches. Logical that they would choose people they know/trust and they obviously believe can fit in the new circumstances. True Malzahn and Harsin did that. Those choices did not work too well in those cases. Many people on this forum are pushing for keeping Caddy, Zac, and Ike.That did not work last time and Caddy was with both last 2 coaches. Seems like to me you are assuming patterns always work out the same way, when we all know they don’t, and certainly hope they don’t this time.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Viper said:

I’m tired of seeing AU lose. If one Liberty assistant or eight Liberty assistants gets us 10+ wins/season, I’m good with however it works. 

I’m just noting a very familiar road AU has been down multiple, multiple times in the last 2 HC regimes that was noted multiple times on this forum by many of us as “comfortable” and “all they could get” hires that we knew were going to fail.

With all the texts that Freeze stated he received from prospective assistants, he should have an ocean to fish from and not just off the coast of Lynchburg, VA.

I can appreciate that as we had to live through Gus and Harsin manipulating the coaches to get their guys in.  Both had draw backs and Harsin’s definitely showed up early and often.  You did catch on early.

Freeze has yet to fill out his coaching staff, so I’m willing to wait to see what big names have reached out and if those coaches can be productive in Freeze’s system.  It struck me funny that less than a week has gone be and many on here are predicting doom and gloom (not necessarily you).

We’ve got plenty of time to tear him apart between the transfer portal, ESND and A-Day. :headscratch:

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I can appreciate that as we had to live through Gus and Harsin manipulating the coaches to get their guys in.  Both had draw backs and Harsin’s definitely showed up early and often.  You did catch on early.

Freeze has yet to fill out his coaching staff, so I’m willing to wait to see what big names have reached out and if those coaches can be productive in Freeze’s system.  It struck me funny that less than a week has gone be and many on here are predicting doom and gloom (not necessarily you).

We’ve got plenty of time to tear him apart between the transfer portal, ESND and A-Day. :headscratch:

Don’t believe we ever see those big name’s discussed. Only the ones that accept offers to come. Hopefully they fill everyone’s expectations (might be impossible to do so though).

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

the mods asked me to bunch the articles together. no need to apologize i just think they want the board less congested if i understood correctly.

they can start by not having 15 pinned threads, that would help

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

they can start by not having 15 pinned threads, that would help

tell one of the mods. they are very approachable.