2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Let's get some Auburn commits in here. Am I right? 

Tha hell is Hugh doing!?!?!?!

I read a theory that guys may be shopping their NIL if they don’t like the numbers. For the love of god, don’t tell me that we are low balling kids to the point where we aren’t going to be able to compete for our top targets. 😑

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I read a theory that guys may be shopping their NIL if they don’t like the numbers. For the love of god, don’t tell me that we are low balling kids to the point where we aren’t going to be able to compete for our top targets. 😑

I mean, NIL money is limited and needs to be allocated appropriately. I certainly hope that they're doing their homework and making calculated decisions. What would you like them to do? Pay 2x more than what they think a player is worth because someone else will give them that much? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

I mean, NIL money is limited and needs to be allocated appropriately. I certainly hope that they're doing their homework and making calculated decisions. What would you like them to do? Pay 2x more than what they think a player is worth because someone else will give them that much? 

I get it … but At this point we need to overpay for a QB. The fans need hope after the Harsin debacle and everyone may riot if we are stuck with the same QBs hahaha

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Their extension was almost as bad as Gus'

Not even close . Gus Malzahns extension was the worst decision ever made by man minus the bud light thing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

18 minutes ago, metafour said:

My thoughts are along the lines of @gr82b4au. I get what you’re saying, but I just don’t think that’s the game being played at this point in the NIL game, by anyone.

As for Auburn, I would hope that they would be a little more aggressive with funds at the beginning stages of Hugh’s tenure, to get him off on the right track. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I would hope that they would be a little more aggressive with funds at the beginning stages of Hugh’s tenure, to get him off on the right track. 

Agree, the prices are only going to go up.  Best to get momentum now while it is still "cheap".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Not even close . Gus Malzahns extension was the worst decision ever made by man minus the bud light thing 

Not even close.  Hiring Harsin was basically the self imposed death penalty. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Well, if Freeze brings us back to prominence then it clearly won't have been as bad. SMU went 25 years without a bowl.

It was a disastrous hire, no doubt.

Edited by AUwent

37 minutes ago, metafour said:

Agree with this 100%. No need to blow your load on some marginal transfer player just because the market is tight.  No one thinks Auburn is winning the natty next year.  We know Freeze can recruit so play the long game and allocate that $$$ to high end high school kids.  Build a roster of 4&5*s like UGA, Bama, LSU, and TaMu.   

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Well, if Freeze brings us back to prominence then it clearly won't have been as bad. SMU went 25 years without a bowl.

It was a disastrous hire, no doubt.

Yes it was. 

I think CHF will bring us back relatively quickly.  He knows this league requires top talent.  He is very good at developing talent.  His scheme (offensively) can even offset some deficiencies.

I still believe the boosters wanted Freeze all along and, the plan to make CKS head coach was merely buying time until it was possible.  The "stop the Steele" movement may have been an epic mistake.

Edited by icanthearyou
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

There is only enough market for 2 sites.  Rivals is dying and will die soon.  

My understanding is the guy who started Rivals started On3.  I guess that person doesn’t own Rivals?  I know not everyone likes Jay Tate but I really enjoy his content.  He’s also trained half the Auburn beat writers that are on these other sites.  It makes me feel bad that On3 more or less out bid him for J Lee, stole Jhead, and cut the legs out from under the Rivals guys.  Jay struck out on this latest round of interns and Stultz may be a good writer but is a complete embarrassment as a personality on his podcast.   I’ve never looked at any of 247’s content other than their composite team rankings which are pretty good.  Sorry to stray off topic but I really dislike Hokanson and think he’s a hack.  I don’t want to see him successful if it means Jay suffers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

My understanding is the guy who started Rivals started On3.  I guess that person doesn’t own Rivals?  I know not everyone likes Jay Tate but I really enjoy his content.  He’s also trained half the Auburn beat writers that are on these other sites.  It makes me feel bad that On3 more or less out bid him for J Lee, stole Jhead, and cut the legs out from under the Rivals guys.  Jay struck out on this latest round of interns and Stultz may be a good writer but is a complete embarrassment as a personality on his podcast.   I’ve never looked at any of 247’s content other than their composite team rankings which are pretty good.  Sorry to stray off topic but I really dislike Hokanson and think he’s a hack.  I don’t want to see him successful if it means Jay suffers.

I agree on Hoke. He's a baby and bans ppl who disagree with him.

The same guy started all 3, hence "On3".

Started rivals sold to Yahoo. Non Competed ended and he started 247, essentially same product, but better message board format and composite rankings. Then sold it to CBS. Non compete ended and he started On3 and essentially started stealing from Rivals talent pool. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I still believe the boosters wanted Freeze all along and, the plan to make CKS head coach was merely buying time until it was possible.  The "stop the Steele" movement may have been an epic mistake.

Steele may have been a successful bridge, but the PTB was crazy to think the fan base would put up with it.  We waited for years in mediocrity and their solution was to wait longer?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I think that decision was actually made by a woman but your point remains lol. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Steele may have been a successful bridge, but the PTB was crazy to think the fan base would put up with it.  We waited for years in mediocrity and their solution was to wait longer?

So how did hiring Harsin work out?

In the immortal words of the Rolling Stones,,, "you can't always get what you want".  At least, not immediately.

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

These both had me rolling…they’re funny b/c they’re true (both at the times at which they happened)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

So how did hiring Harsin work out?

In the immortal words of the Rolling Stones,,, "you can't always get what you want".  At least, not immediately.

Im not going down this path tonight.  You could argue their poor Gus exit plan, their poor marketing strategy of said plan, and them playing hardball, ultimately led us to Harsin - hence why Samford is absorbing the buyout.

👀 💣 🤯

Edited by AUINSY
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

These both had me rolling…they’re funny b/c they’re true (both at the times at which they happened)

I would post the crying laughing Pedro Pascal gif if I knew how here lol…

• Thanks 1