Freeze is Changing Things for the Better...

WillMunny

8 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I wanted Freeze for my number 1 since the beginning. 

A very minimal minority of us! Very excited for the future. He spoke about his past and how everywhere he went at his previous jobs, they got out of the forrest. He has done it one time in the SEC. He is well respected among the coaches circle. Things are looking promising.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I went into the this search with an open mind as I usually do. The day Harsin was fired I assumed Freeze would be the coach. I kept thinking it until everyone pretty much had Kiffen signed with Auburn. Even then I still had the odds at 50% Kiffen and 50% Freeze. I just knew how Auburn tends to come up just short. 

With that being said, I told other Auburn fans I discussed it with that Auburn could do worse than Hugh Freeze. I knew Freeze recruited well at Ole Miss. Better than Kiffen. I knew that Freeze had a better defense(Land Sharks) than Kiffen has fielded at Ole Miss. My concerns were the off field issues and his lack of really good running backs at Ole Miss. The off field issues are still to be determined but keeping Caddy on staff alleviated the RB concerns. Not getting Matt Luke was disappointing but I understand. Taking a coach from Kiffen made that situation better. I never wanted Kiffen as I see him as an idiot. He makes some brain dead decisions in game. He's a good play caller but poor head coach in my opinion. I didn't watch a lot of Ole Miss games when Freeze was there but I don't remember those brain dead decisions with him in charge. I have been surprised so far with Freeze at Auburn and I hope to continue to be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

That what you guys said about Harsin 2 years ago.  He hasn't won 1 game at Auburn yet and the only way to get that done is something he is incapable doing and that is sound coaching.  Talk amounts to nothing.

Now I remember why I don't read these threads much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

That what you guys said about Harsin 2 years ago.  He hasn't won 1 game at Auburn yet and the only way to get that done is something he is incapable doing and that is sound coaching.  Talk amounts to nothing.

Your attitude and your username are worlds apart. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

u guys made a great hire  but prime would had been even better  if hugh fails  u have to get prime   

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 5

3 hours ago, Carnell said:

I'll say this, just like the last coach, and the coach before him. I'll always give them the benefit of the doubt until they give me a reason that they aren't fit to be HC at AU. As someone that was meh at the hire at the start (mainly bc of the pr), I'm liking what I am seeing. We will see what happens.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, hogmen said:

u guys made a great hire  but prime would had been even better  if hugh fails  u have to get prime   

Arky should have hired Sanders back when you had a chance if you think he's alla' that. Sanders wasn't seriously considered for the AU job and should the job become open again next year he won't be in the running then either.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Carnell said:

I wasn’t on the Harsin train and clearly stated why several times. I didn’t want to continue to be negative so I let it play out. Harsin and Coach Freeze aren’t nearly the same but carry on.

Edited by e808
  • Like 2

The good news for Freeze is that the bar was set so low by the previous HC, it’s almost impossible to not be better.   All his has to do is have more than a handful of players buy in to his philosophy, hire ant least 2 guys outside of Idaho, and spend at least 5 minutes a week recruiting.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, hogmen said:

Don’t worry, you can get him next year or the year after.   Pittman won’t be there long.   

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

The good news for Freeze is that the bar was set so low by the previous HC, it’s almost impossible to not be better.   All his has to do is have more than a handful of players buy in to his philosophy, hire ant least 2 guys outside of Idaho, and spend at least 5 minutes a week recruiting.  

The previous coach may have set the bar low but the fan's expectations are always through the roof.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

The bar is set so low by Harsin that worm could not limbo under it.

• Haha 3

Lol of course it turns into let'sbash Deion. 

Anyway this is a post that's made every time a new coach start. I understand to be excited when you start but it's just not smart to start making claims both positive and negative. Let's all just hope for the best.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

So far, I'm interested to see where he's going. His coaching staff has no wow factor, but looks reasonably solid. We're improving in immediate recruiting and this weekend could be pivotal. 

I am not looking forward to returning to spread offense. Too well I remember the 3 and short and redzone issues we always had and the way our productivity dropped off a cliff once the scripted plays had run out. Freeze isn't Gus, but he's close enough. Regardless,  I look forward to being proven wrong. 

I was not a fan of the Freeze hire.  Was hoping that we would land a big name coach and get out of this coaching carousal that we seem to be on.  I do not consider Freeze a big name.  Wanted someone that would come in a buck the system; either their way or no way.  But looks to me like we will never give someone that authority as too many people want a say so in things.  Only time will tell if Freeze was the right hire or not but I definitely DO NOT think he is "the most Jesus like leader I ever seen or been around".
I will say this, not investing my entire Saturday afternoon around Auburn Football this last year I was able to get a lot done on Saturdays.  I still kept up with the games, watched most all of them, but more had them on in the shop or while I was busy doing something around the house.  Just hard to invest the time when it was obvious it was a train wreck and the person in charge was not the right person for Auburn.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol of course it turns into let'sbash Deion. 

Anyway this is a post that's made every time a new coach start. I understand to be excited when you start but it's just not smart to start making claims both positive and negative. Let's all just hope for the best.

I agree on not setting expectational goals. But I also definitely think when a positive sign comes, these should be publicly applauded.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WillMunny said:

Great coaching hires, good portal presence, improved recruiting - in the span of about 2 weeks.  The future is bright.  Even Pawl Finebum is on board.

To the Freeze detractors, I say this: take some time away, and we'll welcome you back before next season.

Thank you John Cohen.  You made the right hire.

You are new to AUFamily so you don't know. But those "Freeze detractors" will never leave, they will not stop, ever.

Gus was hated by some the moment he was hired, record setting offense didn't stop them, SEC championships didn't stop them, trip to a National Championship didn't stop them. Kept detracting until Gus was actually a coach on the way out and then thumped their chests with pride that they called it the day he was hired.

Oh, and welcome to "The family" :lol: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I agree on not setting expectational goals. But I also definitely think when a positive sign comes, these should be publicly applauded.

All that's fine but by doing so if it doesn't work out posters can't get mad if people want to speak on it in the future. I don't know what positive signs you are referring to but I do know Harsin people made this same exact post. And also some of the guys arguing the most were making negative posts about Harsin. So just off that you can't get mad if some people don't like freeze for whatever reason.

Also If you make negative posts about other people then want to say my guy is the guy you cannot be angry if it doesn't pan out.

My thing is how this place tries to set up only certain people can speak on things.......especially when the people that get to speak aren't speaking strictly on football, but have biases.....for whatever reasons they choose to have them

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Ha. My exact same thought.

I remember all the amazing things Harsin was doing.

• Like 3