Junior Day Visitors Freeze Style

toddc

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Bryan Matthews on Rivals today said it best.  Even though we'd have lost in a court of law, Harsin didn't deserve one flat dime of that $15M buyout.  His efforts in recruiting alone were a dereliction of duty.  Even factoring in that he came in under bad circumstances or that certain folks never gave him a chance - his recruiting efforts bordered on criminal.  It's one thing to go all out and just not have success.  It's entirely another to just be lazy, arrogant and stupid.

You can argue that CHF came in even worse circumstances and has absolutely killed it. Harsin was in over his head and by the time he may have realized it, he didn't do anything to salvage his position at Auburn. He just became a bum.

If you want to win the SEC you have to eat, sleep, breathe recruiting or you have to be like Steve Spurrier and your scheme/approach changes the entire sport. There is no in-between. I think we seriously lucked out not getting Lane. The more I reflect on it the more I think it would've ended in chaos.

Thinking long term, the only thing that could be the demise of CHF would be development. I don't think recruiting will be an issue. 24 will be top 10 and 25 could flirt with top 5 especially if we get off to a good to great first half of the 2023 season and nail down guys like Alvin Henderson and Ryan Williams.

I always drink the kool aid because I'm an idiot, but I am extremely excited for the future of the program. We need to get to a point where we can just crush mid to lower teams and do more preparation for the top tier teams we face.

Edited by woodford
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

You can argue that CHF came in even worse circumstances and has absolutely killed it.

True in terms of the state of the roster and recruiting.  

I was thinking more about the fact that Harsin came in under a cloud because none of the PTB supported him.  He was a complete audible from Allen Greene that was on no one's radar.  He never really had the people who matter's support and in fact some were possibly actively undermining him almost from the get go.

Even as toxic as the situation was for him, he made it 100x worse with how he operated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I was thinking more about the fact that Harsin came in under a cloud because none of the PTB supported him.  He was a complete audible from Allen Greene that was on no one's radar.  He never really had the people who matter's support and in fact some were possibly actively undermining him almost from the get go.

Even as toxic as the situation was for him, he made it 100x worse with how he operated.

No doubt. 

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It's one thing to go all out and just not have success.  It's entirely another to just be lazy, arrogant and stupid.

I'm just going to refer to him as Coach LAS now. 😅

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

I'm just going to refer to him as Coach LAS now. 😅

My fav is Arson Harsin.  I cannot remember what poster came up with that nickname but 👏👏👏 to whomever you are.  

• Like 3

Getting back to Junior day. I understand we had around 200 players attend.  It would be nice in the next few days to get some feedback as to how the players liked it and if it helped us with some individual players.  If it did help with some players which ones in particular? 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Getting back to Junior day. I understand we had around 200 players attend.  It would be nice in the next few days to get some feedback as to how the players liked it and if it helped us with some individual players.  If it did help with some players which ones in particular? 

Not sure if you listen to podcasts, but these are the best free updates I've come across. You'll hear a few predictions and interesting updates. It sounds like some 2024 commitments could happen on Wednesday. 

1. 247's - https://247sports.com/podcast/the-auburn-undercover-podcast-13/

2. and ON3's. Can't seem to find the podcast, but the YT link is below. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

My fav is Arson Harsin.  I cannot remember what poster came up with that nickname but 👏👏👏 to whomever you are.  

Y’all talking about Coach Haskins?  Recruits couldn’t even get Harrison’s name right…like how hard is to remember that Harley starts with an H?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

58 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

@HAPvsOA gave you the podcasts I was about to link. The one negative take away I got was from one of my early favorites of the RBs, Burnette. He was disappointed Cadillac was sick and couldn't attend and he reportedly said it was too crowded. Even the staff apparently didn't think 200 were going to show up as some kids shared invitations with other teammates, allegedly. Lots of positives though and the new football complex played a role in wowing prospects.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Y’all talking about Coach Haskins?  Recruits couldn’t even get Harrison’s name right…like how hard is to remember that Harley starts with an H?

Ya mean Coach Harkins from the University of Auburn?😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I think that is a reasonable and fair nutshell assessment of the entire Harsin/Auburn experience.

Not to defend Harsin, but to maybe find something positive in the aftermath: Wasn’t he instrumental in building up the “behind the scenes” staffing and organizational structure of the recruiting department? If so, did any of that survive the fallout?

Edited by PotPot
Added

3 hours ago, woodford said:

I always drink the kool aid because I'm an idiot

you and me both.

3 hours ago, woodford said:

but I am extremely excited for the future of the program

Also, you and me both.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

@toddc's been on this like white on rice in the Nest. Recruits loved their experience. So many I can't even keep track of 'em. 

22 minutes ago, PotPot said:

I think that is a reasonable and fair nutshell assessment of the entire Harsin/Auburn experience.

Not to defend Harsin, but to maybe find something positive in the aftermath: Wasn’t he instrumental in building up the “behind the scenes” staffing and organizational structure of the recruiting department? If so, did any of that survive the fallout?

Begrudgingly, you may be right about this. This, and the win in Baton Rouge, may be the only upsides to Harsin's tenure. Honestly, I give the win in Baton Rouge more to Bo's playmaking and scrambling ability than anything from Harsin and co. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Kinda like with Coach Chiznick when he was hired lol.

6 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

what's the nest? 

Where the cool kids hangout!!  I kid, but I will let @RunInRedFill you in. 

If possible, I would strongly advise joining!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

🤯 @UCF_Recruiting hosted just under one THOUSAND recruits in The Kingdom this weekend!

And I was impressed with 204! But we definitely had some of our top targets on campus and we all know Gus cannot recruit Oline! 

• Haha 1

Just now, HAPvsOA said:

🤯 @UCF_Recruiting hosted just under one THOUSAND recruits in The Kingdom this weekend!

And I was impressed with 204! But we definitely had some of our top targets on campus and we all know Gus cannot recruit Oline! 

this all should be in the gus thread on the rivals board.

• Thanks 2

On 1/27/2023 at 8:38 AM, toddc said:

2027 QB at the end! 🤩 

Can you say relationships!

Last time an Auburn HC seriously stalked a QB that far out, the coach was named Malzahn and the QB was 8th grader Kody Burns. I think Tubs was the one that got him and he was gone (or WR) by the time Malzahn was AU HC though. Just saying.

Edited by aucanucktiger

8 hours ago, woodford said:

You can argue that CHF came in even worse circumstances and has absolutely killed it. Harsin was in over his head and by the time he may have realized it, he didn't do anything to salvage his position at Auburn. He just became a bum.

If you want to win the SEC you have to eat, sleep, breathe recruiting or you have to be like Steve Spurrier and your scheme/approach changes the entire sport. There is no in-between. I think we seriously lucked out not getting Lane. The more I reflect on it the more I think it would've ended in chaos.

Thinking long term, the only thing that could be the demise of CHF would be development. I don't think recruiting will be an issue. 24 will be top 10 and 25 could flirt with top 5 especially if we get off to a good to great first half of the 2023 season and nail down guys like Alvin Henderson and Ryan Williams.

I always drink the kool aid because I'm an idiot, but I am extremely excited for the future of the program. We need to get to a point where we can just crush mid to lower teams and do more preparation for the top tier teams we face.

If we agree to this does it mean we are agreeing you are an idiot? Not wanting to be derogatory.

4-star Auburn target Jayden Lewis sets commitment date

Keith Niebuhrabout 1 hour
Jayden Lewis (Photo: Jeffrey Lee, Auburn Live)

One of Auburn’s top defensive targets in the 2024 class has set his commitment date.

Jayden Lewis, a 4-star cornerback from Anniston (Ala.), will announce his college choice Wednesday. The time is not yet known.

He just visited Auburn on Saturday for the first Junior Day of the Hugh Freeze era.

🚨Committing Wednesday !! Ready To Start Recruiting For My Class

— Jayden “Jaymoney” Lewis 🪦 (@JayALew5) January 31, 2023

Lewis, listed at 5-foot-10, 165 pounds, is the No. 20 corner in the country and No. 15 recruit in the state of Alabama’s 2024 class for the On3 Consensus.

At this time, Auburn is a big favorite to land him in the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine. The Tigers have a 97.5% projection rate. Tennessee at 1%, is next.

Auburn Live’s Keith Niebuhr (Jan. 23) and Jeffrey Lee (Jan. 28) each have logged predictions for Lewis to choose the Tigers.

Lewis raved about Auburn after visiting there Saturday.

“Auburn is a family feel for me,” he said. “I love the campus. I love the people. The main thing is going somewhere I’m wanted and not just where I want to go. And Auburn definitely wants me.”

In fact, the visit went even better than expected.

“It went great,” Lewis said. “It was everything I expected and a little bit more actually.”

Lewis arrived in Auburn Saturday morning and stayed until the afternoon. He was one of 204 recruits on campus for Junior Day.

He spoke to secondary coaches Zac Etheridge and Wesley McGriff and to Freeze.

“I spoke to all of them,” he said. “They are my type of coaches 100 percent.”

Two weeks ago, Lewis named a top six of Auburn, Arkansas, Florida State, Ole Miss, South Carolina and Tennessee.

Why did Auburn make the cut for Lewis?

“Mainly because they show me the most love,” Lewis said. “Every time I go it feels like home and I really want to go where I’m wanted, not just where I want to go. That makes a big impact on me. They’re always keeping in touch with me, keeping communication, making sure I’m straight.”

• Like 1