2023 4* Ohio St Transfer WR Caleb Burton Commits To AU!

gr82b4au

Ohio State WR transfer Caleb Burton commits to Auburn

5 minutes ago

When Caleb Burton came into his Auburn visit, he noted his expectations weren't all that high. But after visiting Auburn and a few other spots, the Plains was where he wanted to be as the former Ohio State receiver announced his commitment.

"I enjoyed it a lot," Burton said after his visit. "I enjoyed talking to everybody and learning a whole bunch of things. Really meshed with Coach (Marcus) Davis. Everything I’ve seen so far has been exciting. Nice campus, met some of the guys on the team and they seemed really cool."

Wide receiver has been a huge need for Auburn this whole offseason as Hugh Freeze looks to rebuild Auburn, with Burton a young, but exciting addition to the room. In the 2022 recruiting cycle, Burton was the No. 71 overall player and No. 10 wide receiver in his class, but joined a loaded Ohio State receivers room and redshirted as a freshman. Burton was injured on the first day of spring practice this year and ended up transferring afterward looking for a fresh start.

After Landen King and Tar'Varish Dawson both departed, Auburn has been even more in need of adding both depth and star power to a thin receiver room.

3COMMENTS

"I think it’s big and I know something they’ve been harping on is need more wide receivers on the team and I think that’s a great opportunity," Burton said.

Burton commits a day after Auburn landing its transfer quarterback, Michigan State's Payton Thorne.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Boom 

Excited about this kid. He is ready work and is ready to earn a WR1 . Love it

• Like 1

I’ll be honest with y’all out of the portal receivers we’re talking to this is the one I valued the least.

depth piece. There was some talk he was getting beat out by walk-ons.

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I’ll be honest with y’all out of the portal receivers we’re talking to this is the one I valued the least.

Zeek some of that talk could be misinformation or sour grapes.   In Hugh I trust. 

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

Zeek some of that talk could be misinformation or sour grapes.   In Hugh I trust. 

Can’t complain about a receiver that Ohio State evaluated and was willing to take. Four years of eligibility at least. 

• Like 2

Just now, Zeek said:

Can’t complain about a receiver that Ohio State evaluated and was willing to take. Four years of eligibility at least. 

No joke.   I've seen evaluations on him from the #1 receiver in that class to #10.   What I like is he catches the ball with his hands and not his body. 

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Walk ons? Suspect at best . Beat out by other scholarship athletes at tOSU? For sure 

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 Ohio St Transfer WR Caleb Burton Commits To AU!
24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

@Zeek Not sure he's a depth piece. You do realize he was injured at the start of Spring Ball that kept him out of most if not all Spring right?

• Like 1

• ellitor featured this topic
31 minutes ago, Zeek said:

For 2023 impact you're probably right, but he's a RSFR and we're going to need him in 24-26.

He's had awful luck with injuries and barely even practiced at OSU. Could be an issue going forward. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek Not sure he's a depth piece. You do realize he was injured at the start of Spring Ball that kept him out of most if not all Spring right?

What was the injury?

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

The last player we got from The Ohio State University signed a $52 million K 2 months ago.

Yup! TOSU know skill player on O & D.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I’m not mad at the pickup and I’m glad we got him but usually when you see information like that you want to pay attention 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

For 2023 impact you're probably right, but he's a RSFR and we're going to need him in 24-26.

He's had awful luck with injuries and barely even practiced at OSU. Could be an issue going forward. 

Unfortunately, he sounds a lot like Malcolm Johnson Jr😪

The kid has had injury issues but he was one of the most coveted players in Texas in the 2022 cycle.   If he can stay healthy, he will start.  Great hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Hope he turns out like that OSU

db we got a few years ago that was injury prone. Can’t for the life of me remember his name though.

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

Hope he turns out like that OSU

db we got a few years ago that was injury prone. Can’t for the life of me remember his name though.

Jamel Dean?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

What was the injury?

FYI:  knee injury in HS kept him out of his Jr season, then another injury the 1st day of spring practice this year when "he heard something pop."  Link

Hope he's past all that and his AU career is injury-free.