Serious thoughts on the 2023 season

meh130

On 7/5/2023 at 10:55 AM, W.E.D said:

I don't disagree.  Wouldn't be an issue tho if the NCAA or someone just stepped up and paid players 

The whole reason the NCAA does not want to pay players is that they then become employees with rights. It’s a whole new ballgame when players are in fact, employees.

On 7/3/2023 at 4:03 PM, toddc said:

I doubt it for this season but I definitely think it happens in the 24 or 25 seasons.

Only happened twice in AU history. 

Terry Beasley in 1970 and Ronney Daniels in 1999.

Both of these were pass-happy teams and were very sub-par running teams. 1970’s leading rusher got 422 yards. 1999’s leading rusher got 330 yards.

I’ll wager 6 of golf’s PBRs it won’t happen in the next 3 seasons.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Only happened twice in AU history. 

Terry Beasley in 1970 and Ronney Daniels in 1999.

Both of these were pass-happy teams and were very sub-par running teams. 1970’s leading rusher got 422 yards. 1999’s leading rusher got 330 yards.

I’ll wager 6 of golf’s PBRs it won’t happen in the next 3 seasons.

I’d rather see a very adept (passing it around to multiple receivers) passing attack instead of overly dependent on one guy. I means hou have a great offense, the other the receiver usually gets the credit. Only an adept passing attack with our continuing good RB group will attract great receivers, great RB’s, great OL to the plains.

45 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I’d rather see a very adept (passing it around to multiple receivers) passing attack instead of overly dependent on one guy.

Exactly. We’ve seen some very dynamic passing offenses win a title in recent years (2018 Clemson, 2019 LSU, 2020 bammer), but they all spread it around to multiple WRs and RBs.

Extremely rare that a team wins a title with one WR getting north of 1000 yards with the 2nd best guy getting south of 500 yards. 2012 bammer is the only one to do it with Cooper at 1000 yards & Norwood at 461.

More of this 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, toddc said:

Great conversation starter!

I would start by asking “what constitutes ‘improved’?”   Is it W/L record?  Certain O and D stats that show improvement?   Roster building?   

I think a lot of those teams are definitely in position for a big jump!  Teams like AU and Nebraska should steadily improve for a few years, but may not be worlds better this year.   Teams like Iowa St. that lost 6 1 score games with some bad luck and already pretty stable have the chance to improve their record by a lot this year.   A team like Arky in the SECW is gonna be really difficult to get over that threshold to beat the bama’s, LSUs, even Auburn and A&M are in a better spot for long term success.  

• Like 3

On3 lists Ole Miss as Auburn's most important game in 2023

Taylor Jones

The Auburn Tigers were just one game away from bowl eligibility in 2022. With a new coach and fresh, experienced faces, things could turn around for the Tigers this season.

Which game will be that one game that is seen as the team’s turning point in 2023? Jesse Simonton of On3 breaks it down.

Buy Tigers Tickets

The game that can be seen as Auburn’s most important game of the season will be a home date with Ole Miss on Oct. 21 at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The game will be noteworthy for several reasons, one of which is the anticipated matchup between Hugh Freezeand Lane Kiffin.

The game will also be the first opportunity for Freeze to make a statement with his new program.

Good times, good times!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Good times, good times!

This is when Nick Marshall just toyed with them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Good times, good times!

I was at that one. Started up high in the upper deck. By the third quarter had lower level 50 yard line seats. 😅

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Prosch was so good

I had forgotten about him. True fullback if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

Somehow I ended up with seats in the UT donor's section. Man, it was fun just sitting quiet in our Auburn gear and listening to the high rollers gripe. Next morning in a Nashville Omlette Shop some UT fan stopped to say that Marshall was "The fastest player he'd ever seen". Vol fans aren't usually that nice. Great weekend!

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I was at that one. Started up high in the upper deck. By the third quarter had lower level 50 yard line seats. 😅

Full game still on YouTube. Skip the 1st quarter. 1st game where the speed and offense finally gelled into a unique weapon. The defense that game/season …. less so.

• Like 1

10 win ceiling

8 wins most likely

5-6 would be disappointing.

Need to stay healthy. The momentum will be there and big MO does wonders in college sports. JHS is going to be a mad house every Saturday. DSOR, OM, and IB will be off the charts. I can't wait.

Family vibes at Auburn are the real deal.

Put this up in the locker room!

We don’t get no respect! I don’t care who came up with it.

Edited by toddc
  • Haha 1

THIS 

• Like 1