He just will not change

LPTiger

5 hours ago, LPTiger said:

TT, here are quotes from Vice president Harris -- "We need to reimagine how we are achieving public safety in America", "For far too long the status quo thinking has been to believe that by putting more police on the street you're going to have more safety and that's just wrong." When LA's mayor slashed the police funding by $150MM "I support investing in communities so they become more healthy and therefore more safe.   I applaud Mayor Garcetti for doing what he's done."    "If you are able to, chip in now to the ____________ to help post bail for those protesting on the ground in Minnesota."   As bad as she is at saying something that is coherent, these statements are about as clear as she can get.   

First, I didn't see anything about "defunding the police" in that.

Second, do you support continued overspending for services that are arguably failing?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You are spreading lies and misinformation.

The states with the most violent crime are predominately "red" states.  In fact, Alabama is the 7th most violent state.

Stop believing the propaganda.  Educate yourself.

Your takes are so bad sometimes I can't even tell if you are being serious.   You know why Alabama is 7th?  Because of Birmingham, Alabama which is run by democrats.   Huntsville, the largest city in Alabama, is run by a republican.   Guess how many homicides the largest city in the state averages on a yearly basis -- between 20 and 30.   Guess how many Birmingham averages -- between 130 and 150.    

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, homersapien said:

First, I didn't see anything about "defunding the police" in that.

Second, do you support continued overspending for services that are arguably failing?

Homer, didn't you the see the part about Harris applauding the LA Mayor for defunding the LA police to the tune of $150MM?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Mea culpa -- I voted from Trump in each of the last 2 elections.   I don't think I can do it again.  He just can't rise above the fray, be dignified, offer an ounce of grace or stop being a total narcissist.   When a tack might do, he ALWAYS opts for the largest and ugliest nail he can find.   Fox News has an article up wherein Nancy Pelosi described him as "looking like a scared puppy" when he was recently indicted.   Facing criminal charges in federal court can do that to you.  But, he simply couldn't let this slightest of slight go unnoticed.   And, he couldn't simply offer a similar trivial slight.    No sir, he had to condemn her soul to Hell.   LITERALLY.   He said "She is a sick and demented psycho who someday will live in Hell!!!   I disagree with everything that Nancy Pelosi stands for and doesn't;t stand for.   The money her husband has made off public firms where she has direct input is simply unethical.    But who am I, or Trump, to judge her very soul.   I''m just sick and tired of him being a complete and total a$$hole to just about everybody not named Trump (see e.g. his comment about Pence going to the dark side).   What makes it even worse maybe, is his openness and willingness to admit to his own narcissism.   In the same Fox article -- he says that he was careful not to say anything about Pelosi's husband's assault.  And in the next sentence he says "but now she has said something about me."   I'm convinced Biden is incapable of leading us for many reasons, and I can't stomach 4 more years of Trump's constant bragging (you're going to get tired of winning, x is the best it has ever been and it isn't even close) and constant acting like an a$$.   I pray somehow the good Lord makes it so that we have better options.

Like you I voted for Trump both times. I always had some issues with Trump and would have preferred a different Republican both times. Yet if I had the same choices again I would vote for Trump not because I like him but because of the alternative. You are correct he is narcissist who cares more about himself then our country.  While I think many of the court cases against Trump are political not all of them are.  There is plenty of evidence to prove he intentionally kept documents he should not have and when requested to return them he tried to hide them. As a person who at one time had to get a Security clearance what Trump did is very similar to what Hilary did with the mail server which she knew was illegal.  When you get a security clearance it is made very clear you do not use personal mail for government business. Not only do you not use personal email for government business but it is illegal to do so.  Like Trump she knew it was wrong and did it anyway.  That and policy is why voted for Trump over Hilary. 

I came close to voting for Biden in second election as I had partially bought into the nice Uncle Joe middle of the road narrative.  The reality is Biden is a career politician who has moved so far from the center it is not funny. He is BIG Brother Government that wants to control everything including free speech as we are seeing more and more evidence of collusion between White House and big tech.

I wish both parties would wake up. Republicans for still supporting Trump when there are many better options and Democrats moving further and further to the left where as information has come out showing where new information has high lighted how far we went in blocking legitimate theories on Covid, the Hunter Biden Laptop, etc. and despite that most main stream Democrats are not condemning it. 

I want people in both parties to take a stand when something or someone in their Party does something wrong, condemn it.  A few Republican's Christie, Mike Pence have taken a stand a few others no longer are giving Trump full backing but because of politics won't condemn him which is sad. What is worse is I am not seeing any Democrats taking the high road.  Why did it take 5 years to finally bring charges against Hunter Biden on an open and shut case on Tax and gun  violation?  As evidence has shown that despite  Biden initially saying he never had any contact with Hunter's business associates that has been proven false. 

The Republican's have not proven that Biden was involved and received some type of compensation but have brought forth enough evidence that the DOJ should be investigating and the Democrats should also be involved in looking into it in a by partisan manner.  The same Democrats and DOJ who went after Trump on the Steele Dossier when they new it had been instigated and paid for by Hilary and DNC. The same DOJ and Democrats who knew the Hunter Biden laptop was legitimate as the FBI had confirmed but still tried to make it look line Russian disinformation. These same people don't have the moral fortitude to at least demand a real investigation.

The lack of intestinal fortitude from both parties will probably leave me in the same moral dilemma in November of 2024 in having to decide which Presindential candidate will hurt the US the least as opposed to who I think could help us the most. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Is cutting a $3.2B budget by $150M defunding? Of course not. Have you ever seen a government  budget that didn’t have 4.68% of fat that could be cut? 

TT, don't get cute with the numbers.  The 2022 total LAPD budget was $2.9B of which $1B was for those good ole pension payments.   Let that sink in for a second.   So the operating budget was $1.9B of which $150 MM was later cut.   So it is a 7.5% cut.  And to put the $1.9B in context.   That same year LA spent $1B on homelessness.  

11 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Homer, didn't you the see the part about Harris applauding the LA Mayor for defunding the LA police to the tune of $150MM?

How large was that LAPD budget again?  And what does the term "defund" literally mean?

You are an ignorant cultist parroting MAGA talking points fed to you by lying media sources.

Edited by homersapien
  • Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

How large was that LAPD budget again?  And what does the term "defund" literally mean?

You are an ignorant cultist parroting MAGA talking points fed to you by lying media sources.

Why do you go to name calling?   You read a few posts that you disagree with and you start slinging horrific names.  That extremist attitude is the cause of a lot of the problems our country is facing.   The LAPD operating budget was $1.9B before the $150MM cut.

• Thanks 2
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Like you I voted for Trump both times. I always had some issues with Trump and would have preferred a different Republican both times. Yet if I had the same choices again I would vote for Trump not because I like him but because of the alternative. You are correct he is narcissist who cares more about himself then our country.  While I think many of the court cases against Trump are political not all of them are.  There is plenty of evidence to prove he intentionally kept documents he should not have and when requested to return them he tried to hide them. As a person who at one time had to get a Security clearance what Trump did is very similar to what Hilary did with the mail server which she knew was illegal.  When you get a security clearance it is made very clear you do not use personal mail for government business. Not only do you not use personal email for government business but it is illegal to do so.  Like Trump she knew it was wrong and did it anyway.  That and policy is why voted for Trump over Hilary. 

I came close to voting for Biden in second election as I had partially bought into the nice Uncle Joe middle of the road narrative.  The reality is Biden is a career politician who has moved so far from the center it is not funny. He is BIG Brother Government that wants to control everything including free speech as we are seeing more and more evidence of collusion between White House and big tech.

I wish both parties would wake up. Republicans for still supporting Trump when there are many better options and Democrats moving further and further to the left where as information has come out showing where new information has high lighted how far we went in blocking legitimate theories on Covid, the Hunter Biden Laptop, etc. and despite that most main stream Democrats are not condemning it. 

I want people in both parties to take a stand when something or someone in their Party does something wrong, condemn it.  A few Republican's Christie, Mike Pence have taken a stand a few others no longer are giving Trump full backing but because of politics won't condemn him which is sad. What is worse is I am not seeing any Democrats taking the high road.  Why did it take 5 years to finally bring charges against Hunter Biden on an open and shut case on Tax and gun  violation?  As evidence has shown that despite  Biden initially saying he never had any contact with Hunter's business associates that has been proven false. 

The Republican's have not proven that Biden was involved and received some type of compensation but have brought forth enough evidence that the DOJ should be investigating and the Democrats should also be involved in looking into it in a by partisan manner.  The same Democrats and DOJ who went after Trump on the Steele Dossier when they new it had been instigated and paid for by Hilary and DNC. The same DOJ and Democrats who knew the Hunter Biden laptop was legitimate as the FBI had confirmed but still tried to make it look line Russian disinformation. These same people don't have the moral fortitude to at least demand a real investigation.

The lack of intestinal fortitude from both parties will probably leave me in the same moral dilemma in November of 2024 in having to decide which Presindential candidate will hurt the US the least as opposed to who I think could help us the most. 

It is indeed sad if our ultimate choice again is Biden and Trump.

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

TT, don't get cute with the numbers.  The 2022 total LAPD budget was $2.9B of which $1B was for those good ole pension payments.   Let that sink in for a second.   So the operating budget was $1.9B of which $150 MM was later cut.   So it is a 7.5% cut.  And to put the $1.9B in context.   That same year LA spent $1B on homelessness.  

Don’t be an ass. If you want to discuss your take on the numbers, go ahead. Make a valid point like you did here, I won’t accuse you of being “cute with numbers.” So you want to work with a 7.5% cut in the operating budget? Fine. Again, if I were mayor, governor or President, I’d ask each department to identify their most successful programs and then ask them to make the case for continuing to fund those at the bottom. It would need to be a strong case. Even going with your numbers, if you retain 92.5% of your budget have you been defunded?

But you’re focused on one year with a former mayor of a particular liberal city and trying to make some broad brush point that has zero applicability to Biden. None. It’s disingenuous.

34 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Your takes are so bad sometimes I can't even tell if you are being serious.   You know why Alabama is 7th?  Because of Birmingham, Alabama which is run by democrats.   Huntsville, the largest city in Alabama, is run by a republican.   Guess how many homicides the largest city in the state averages on a yearly basis -- between 20 and 30.   Guess how many Birmingham averages -- between 130 and 150.    

I don't doubt the numbers, but we both know that you could swap mayors and those numbers wouldn't change very much.  So many things like population density, income, education, drug abuse and historical factors like race and other uncomfortable topics  all play a part in those number differences.  I'm not excusing the behavior at all, don't get me wrong, but it is about a lot more than just which party is the major party within the city's government structure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Don’t be an ass. If you want to discuss your take on the numbers, go ahead. Make a valid point like you did here, I won’t accuse you of being “cute with numbers.” So you want to work with a 7.5% cut in the operating budget? Fine. Again, if I were mayor, governor or President, I’d ask each department to identify their most successful programs and then ask them to make the case for continuing to fund those at the bottom. It would need to be a strong case. Even going with your numbers, if you retain 92.5% of your budget have you been defunded?

But you’re focused on one year with a former mayor of a particular liberal city and trying to make some broad brush point that has zero applicability to Biden. None. It’s disingenuous.

"Don't be an ass?"   Just like Homer, why the name calling?  When you quote a budget number that is off by a billion dollars, in my opinion, that is "being cute with the numbers."   When is "being cute with the numbers" considered such a slight?  More to the point you say the cut has "Zero applicability to Biden. None."   It is his Vice President that "applauded" the cut to the budget.  If crime were under control, budget cuts might be appropriate.  It wasn't under control and thus a 7.5% budget cut seems completely irresponsible.   It is akin to a war time president cutting defense spending.  As an aside, 27 people were shot in Chicago this weekend including an 8 year-old girl who died in the street she was trying to play in.   The party you defend has no answer for crime.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I don't doubt the numbers, but we both know that you could swap mayors and those numbers wouldn't change very much.  So many things like population density, income, education, drug abuse and historical factors like race and other uncomfortable topics  all play a part in those number differences.  I'm not excusing the behavior at all, don't get me wrong, but it is about a lot more than just which party is the major party within the city's government structure.

Homer's point was republican led states lead the nation in violent crime, and he noted Alabama was 7th.   The reason Alabama is 7th isn't because it has a republican governor.   It is 7th because one city, that is run by a democrat now and for the past 40 plus years, accounts for 35 % of all violent crime in the state.   To your overarching point, why in 40 years haven't the democrats who have run the city, not shown any improvement and why instead during that time has violent crime increased?  Ask any Birmingham cop and they will tell you that gangs and drugs are the cause of the violence.    

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

18 hours ago, LPTiger said:

TT, and Biden is a vote for the law?   The guy has literally been in office for 40 years making $150,000 per year yet he is worth over $20,000,000.00.   How is that possible in a lawful society?   His son is a drug addicted nare do well but commanded paychecks of over a million dollars per year.   How is that possible in a lawful society?   One of Trump's indictments is over classified docs.  Yet, the senator from Delaware (Senators can't remove classified docs for any reason) had classified documents in 2 different places.  Both candidates are not worthy to be living free in society much less being president.

https://justthenews.com/accountability/political-ethics/silk-road-paved-cash-court-records-confirm-millions-flowed-biden

8 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

"Don't be an ass?"   Just like Homer, why the name calling?  When you quote a budget number that is off by a billion dollars, in my opinion, that is "being cute with the numbers."   When is "being cute with the numbers" considered such a slight?  More to the point you say the cut has "Zero applicability to Biden. None."   It is his Vice President that "applauded" the cut to the budget.  If crime were under control, budget cuts might be appropriate.  It wasn't under control and thus a 7.5% budget cut seems completely irresponsible.   It is akin to a war time president cutting defense spending.  As an aside, 27 people were shot in Chicago this weekend including an 8 year-old girl who died in the street she was trying to play in.   The party you defend has no answer for crime.  

I gave a valid budget number. If you want to remove pension payments for the point of discussion fine. You can make that point without being as ass. Or maybe YOU can’t. Most people should be able to.

Chicago! Ok, if not LA, Chicago! Biden runs Chicago, right?

I started with the benefit of the doubt you were a serious person capable of meaningful conversation. My bad.

• Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Democratic leadership has never embraced the defund the police movement. Utter bull****. Who wants to defund the FBI? Justice department? Who refused to honor the capitol police?

Which Democratic leaders have embraced lawlessness? 

List the autocratic decrees you referenced?

14 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Neither is good. Theoretically I understand your point, but China being the largest holder of our debt - not so much. Rollover exposure. Owing more money than you can pay off in s lifetime rarely ends well.

The balance of payments is real.  This is a product of a massive trade imbalance.  This is a product of moving from a production based economy to a financialized economy.  This is policy driven by promoting the interests of Wall St. over all other interests. 

This dynamic can only exist as the dollar has status as the world reserve currency.  The real story here is,,, who takes most of the benefit. 

The relationship is a sort of financial imperialism.  We take "cheap" goods.  For those goods, we mostly pay cash for.  The surplus of cash must be reinvested (balancing of payments will occur).  Our goal is to use that investment to keep sales of treasuries up.  The funds are then used to finance our extreme military spending.  So, we do not want any country buying/investing in just anything.  We want to push them into buying little other than our debt.  Other countries are recognizing the futility and, exploitation in this model.  And why, they are attempting to move away from the dollar. 

We are not victims.  We chose this form.  Our "centralized planning" isn't done by the government.  It is done by Wall St.

We are not practicing capitalism or, democracy.  WE are playing a game of pure power and exploitation.

Deindustrialization was the final straw that broke the back of organized labor in this country.  Was that good for our country?

59 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Sure, Democrats have too much power in Alabama.  Yeah, that's the problem.  Having poor education, having high poverty, having low life expectancy, having one of the highest prison populations,,, have nothing to do with the pattern of violence.  And, it's not just Birmingham.

When will you learn that investments in society offer a return on investment, lower prison populations, lower numbers on public assistance, lower spending on policing, adjudicating punishing crime?  In short, when will you develop some sense of humanity?

16 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I would rather not have incandescent light bulbs than a President who has no humility and has pledged to use the office of President to get retribution for whatever perceived wrong or slight he believes has been inflicted upon his narcissistic ass.  Unfortunately, there is an entire industry devoted to partisan division.

I believe that is what many Republicans have accused Biden of doing right. To paraphrase Joe, "I'm making sure he does not become the next president" sounds a lot like retribution and taking out your top rival. That is not a good look and frankly one that you might see in a communist country or Russia, not the United States.

35 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Why did it take 5 years to finally bring charges against Hunter Biden on an open and shut case on Tax and gun  violation?  As evidence has shown that despite  Biden initially saying he never had any contact with Hunter's business associates that has been proven false. 

The assumption you are making is that the Republican U.S. Attorney, David Weiss, who Bill Barr assigned the investigation to and was allowed to complete the investigation, intentionally slow walked his investigation and did not spend those 5 years doing an extensive review of the facts before charging HB.  It is a little confusing to argue that there needs to be more investigation done and also complain that it took too long to investigate and come to a decision on what to charge.  That assumes that Weiss has not investigated the matter fully.  If Jim Jordan allows it, he will testify before Congress sometime this fall.

Robert Mueller being appointed Special Counsel was not based solely on the Steele Dossier. Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein appointed former FBI Director Robert Mueller, a registered Republican, to serve as special counsel to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 election.  It was prompted by Donald Trump firing FBI director James Comey after Comey met with Trump and Trump had requested that the FBI investigation into Michael Flynn be dropped.  He also demanded loyalty from the FBI director, although the oath members of the FBI take is to the constitution and not the President.  Comey did not pledge to do either and his resignation was thereafter requested.

Flynn later entered into a plea agreement admitting that he had been compensated by Russian and Turkish govt officials up until the time he joined the Trump campaign as an advisor.  Trump pardoned Flynn before leaving office.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I believe that is what many Republicans have accused Biden of doing right. To paraphrase Joe, "I'm making sure he does not become the next president" sounds a lot like retribution and taking out your top rival. That is not a good look and frankly one that you might see in a communist country or Russia, not the United States.

The context makes all the difference in the world.  You know that. 

24 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Homer's point was republican led states lead the nation in violent crime, and he noted Alabama was 7th.   The reason Alabama is 7th isn't because it has a republican governor.   It is 7th because one city, that is run by a democrat now and for the past 40 plus years, accounts for 35 % of all violent crime in the state.   To your overarching point, why in 40 years haven't the democrats who have run the city, not shown any improvement and why instead during that time has violent crime increased?  Ask any Birmingham cop and they will tell you that gangs and drugs are the cause of the violence.    

I get your point and the reply is fair.  I just don't believe that there is a connection between policy and criminal behavior to the extent that would change that trajectory.

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

You are spreading lies and misinformation.

The states with the most violent crime are predominately "red" states.  In fact, Alabama is the 7th most violent state.

Stop believing the propaganda.  Educate yourself.

Somebody let itchy know LA is a city. SMH

• Haha 1