Ten Positives - Auburn vs Cal Edition

Zeek

i am tired as all hell but i am not down. there is always going to be hiccups along the way. i believe freeze knows what he is doing and an article from back when he hired his staff folks said we hired one hell of a staff. i cannot remember the folks that said it but i remember thinking these guys had always been legit when i read it. i think we have a decent chance against anyone not named ga this year. appreciate all the hard work you do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I used to make these threads and this morning feels like a good opportunity to do it again. The only rule is that you remain positive. There are plenty of other threads where meltdowns are already happening if you want to vent.

Here are 10 positives I saw:

1. The offensive line held their own against consistent blitzes and a loaded box. While we didn’t have a super productive night in offense, the offensive line wasn’t to blame for most of the negative plays.

2. Our running backs are good. All four ball carriers produced at different points. Despite the Call defense almost completely selling out to stop the run. Fumbles have to be cleaned up but if you go back and watch Damari’s I’m like 90% sure he got knocked out when he lowered his head. Other fumbles were from players just pressing too hard. Damari’s acceleration was a great chance of pace.

3. Rivaldo Fairweather is legit if he can get more opportunities.

4. Jay Fair is a really talented young receiver. He runs MEAN for a smaller skill player.

5. Kayin Lee did a better job as a DB than some of the guys we’ve let start over the last few years. One absolutely bonehead penalty but no other glaring mistakes.

6. Kaufman is an absolute menace on defense. Him and Scott are vitally important as run support in the box. 

7. Eugene Asante had one of the best and most impactful performances of an Auburn linebacker in recent memory.

8. Special Teams generated touchbacks, solid returns, critical pressure on field goals, and good punt coverage.

9. Our defense is way more opportunistic than we have been recently. Forcing turnovers and looking to be aggressive. Simpson is dangerous with the ball in his hands.

10. We’re 2-0 heading into a game where we should be able to work on some kinks. Texas A&M is very beatable and we’ve had luck at College Station. If we could start 4-0 we have a lot of potential to play spoiler this year.

Heck yeah. Love the positivity. Low-scoring games may be boring, but there were positive moments for Auburn last night. When the defense settles in, they can be downright nasty in a good way. Loved what I saw there. Offense is trying, and I think it’ll click eventually. This is a whole new team and staff coming out of some seasons over the last five years in which we would have lost last night’s game. War Eagle!

Edited by Auburn Tiger
  • Like 2

i am hoping assante wins a player of the week award for his play. and i saw one of our players put on a seatbelt type thing after a pick.............is that our turnover chain? anyone? and what do they call it? i wonder if they got the seatbelt from a scooter? grins

43 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Eugene Asante had one of the best and most impactful performances of an Auburn linebacker in recent memory.

He was great. I can't recall a better one game performance recently. I'd have to go back to Curt Crain (25 tackles) vs Bammer in '87? or Freddy Smith's insane performance against one of the Big-12 teams back in the Barfield days to find something equal.

• Like 5

2 random historical thoughts:

Tuberville lost these kinds of road games against middling competition all the time - Syracuse, GT, UNC bowl game, Ole Miss, Ark, - I’m probably missing a few. 

This game seemed very similar to our trip to Kansas State in Gus’ second year. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

2 random historical thoughts:

Tuberville lost these kinds of road games against middling competition all the time - Syracuse, GT, UNC bowl game, Ole Miss, Ark, - I’m probably missing a few. 

This game seemed very similar to our trip to Kansas State in Gus’ second year. 

That's a good comparison. The back end of it also feels like the 2010 Mississippi State game to me. Where we were fortunate to win at all and can be used as a blueprint of what NOT to do on offense. Big difference being we don't have Cam Newton on this team. 

It was an ugly win and one we will move past, but a win nonetheless.

• Like 1

Team tackling was excellent last night - it was usually 3 players in on their runs and it locked them down. An improvement over week #1 as well

We had some good results in the red zone. No FGs? Actually a good sign. 2 pass plays in the red zone for TD's

• Like 2

Unlike 2015 Jacksonville St. and a handfull of other exemplars where multiple individuals or units just walked through games uninterested, this team continued to work all game at Cal. Regardless of how hapless they appeared at times, they were still running the routes, blocking, and pursuing even when it was feeling like an inevitable loss early in the 4th. I guess the coach-speak folks would say you can build on that, vs the alternative. Raw, unpolished, and pretty out of sync as a team (to include the play calling), but with some skill performances and occasional success. I'm surprised that so many seem so surprised that a 9 month total overhaul didn't field the 2004 or 2010 Tigers by game 2. Overall, still good.

• Like 2

What I really liked seeing is that the problems we had seem correctable. Defense made a huge stride forward after coming out a little flat last week. Offense showed glimpses. Unforced errors stifled several drives. Freeze hinted all off-season that the large number of new faces and brand new schemes has caused the consistency to not be where he wants it. Last night kind of exposed that. 
That issue plus finding a right balance of snaps for Ashford needs to be corrected. But those are things that should clean up as the team gets practices and plays more.

32 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

What I really liked seeing is that the problems we had seem correctable. Defense made a huge stride forward after coming out a little flat last week. Offense showed glimpses. Unforced errors stifled several drives. Freeze hinted all off-season that the large number of new faces and brand new schemes has caused the consistency to not be where he wants it. Last night kind of exposed that. 
That issue plus finding a right balance of snaps for Ashford needs to be corrected. But those are things that should clean up as the team gets practices and plays more.

I think they went more to Ashford than they were planning due to PT poor play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

Nixon and Asante are legitimately just better options than Keys and Riley 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

That's a good comparison. The back end of it also feels like the 2010 Mississippi State game to me. Where we were fortunate to win at all and can be used as a blueprint of what NOT to do on offense. Big difference being we don't have Cam Newton on this team. 

It was an ugly win and one we will move past, but a win nonetheless.

This game reminded me a lot of the Miss St 2010 game as well. I feel it’s mostly just growing pains of the new team and new coaches.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i am tired as all hell but i am not down. there is always going to be hiccups along the way. i believe freeze knows what he is doing and an article from back when he hired his staff folks said we hired one hell of a staff. i cannot remember the folks that said it but i remember thinking these guys had always been legit when i read it. i think we have a decent chance against anyone not named ga this year. appreciate all the hard work you do.

Hope so but we need a Taxas type of QB before the Dawg's game

• Like 1

For me, at I believe you eluded to this in your top 10 Zeek, team showed no quit. Defense stepped up until the offense gave us enough to get the win. Not all of them are going to be pretty and I'm fine with that.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 6:21 AM, Zeek said:

I used to make these threads and this morning feels like a good opportunity to do it again. The only rule is that you remain positive. There are plenty of other threads where meltdowns are already happening if you want to vent.

Here are 10 positives I saw:

1. The offensive line held their own against consistent blitzes and a loaded box. While we didn’t have a super productive night in offense, the offensive line wasn’t to blame for most of the negative plays.

2. Our running backs are good. All four ball carriers produced at different points. Despite the Call defense almost completely selling out to stop the run. Fumbles have to be cleaned up but if you go back and watch Damari’s I’m like 90% sure he got knocked out when he lowered his head. Other fumbles were from players just pressing too hard. Damari’s acceleration was a great chance of pace.

3. Rivaldo Fairweather is legit if he can get more opportunities.

4. Jay Fair is a really talented young receiver. He runs MEAN for a smaller skill player.

5. Kayin Lee did a better job as a DB than some of the guys we’ve let start over the last few years. One absolutely bonehead penalty but no other glaring mistakes.

6. Kaufman is an absolute menace on defense. Him and Scott are vitally important as run support in the box. 

7. Eugene Asante had one of the best and most impactful performances of an Auburn linebacker in recent memory.

8. Special Teams generated touchbacks, solid returns, critical pressure on field goals, and good punt coverage.

9. Our defense is way more opportunistic than we have been recently. Forcing turnovers and looking to be aggressive. Simpson is dangerous with the ball in his hands.

10. We’re 2-0 heading into a game where we should be able to work on some kinks. Texas A&M is very beatable and we’ve had luck at College Station. If we could start 4-0 we have a lot of potential to play spoiler this year.

well done. I was surprised that you found 10 good things from that game, but agree with all of them, although I was still expecting a little more dominance from the O-line. But until we can scare people with our passing game, it's going to be difficult to run wild with every team loading the box. I really hope that they stop the 2 QB approach for a game and let Thorne get comfortable for a game or 2 before they bring it back. He seemed off for most of the game until that last TD drive.  

On 9/10/2023 at 10:00 AM, aubiefifty said:

i am hoping assante wins a player of the week award for his play. and i saw one of our players put on a seatbelt type thing after a pick.............is that our turnover chain? anyone? and what do they call it? i wonder if they got the seatbelt from a scooter? grins

Yes. The seatbelt is our turnover chain. Saw an interview today, where it was brought up. One of the guys got it off of Amazon. LOL. 

• Haha 1

Just now, yngwie1995 said:

Yes. The seatbelt is our turnover chain. Saw an interview today, where it was brought up. One of the guys got it off of Amazon. LOL. 

i will be watching videos tonight then! when i post i look for a while and come back later and catch up/ thanx for letting me know.

On 9/10/2023 at 4:45 PM, SphyNxXx said:

This game reminded me a lot of the Miss St 2010 game as well. I feel it’s mostly just growing pains of the new team and new coaches.

Speaking of 2010.... I don't know about everyone else, but that season started off kinda rough, as I remember (even though we went undefeated). I just remember when we played Clemson feeling like "well, we're gonna lose one eventually...." and I probably felt that way about other games. Lots of close games that season if I recall right.

Not saying this will be a 2010 type of season or anything. But if our offense starts to click, it could be a good season.

Edited by yngwie1995

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i will be watching videos tonight then! when i post i look for a while and come back later and catch up/ thanx for letting me know.

No problem. BTW, Keionte Scott talks about it around the 1 minute mark....

• Thanks 1