2025 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

56 minutes ago, AUwent said:

And, given all that, one more win in year 2 shouldn’t be too much of an ask. Unless we’re committing to starting a LOT of underclassmen to set up a big jump in year 3.

I agree. If we don't see improvement in the won/loss column we've probably hired the wrong coach.

47 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Nothing about Devin Williams’ commitment? Solid pickup, I’d say.

This place is dead, except for the nest which is always active. You should consider joining if you want active discussion. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

What the heck has happened to our recruiting?! And how the frick do we lose Derick Smith to Alabama? 

6 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

What the heck has happened to our recruiting?! And how the frick do we lose Derick Smith to Alabama? 

Not sure. Cause Pinkston, Lee, JHead AKA the Three Stooges said he was an AU lock

In today's world there may not be a lock anywhere, unless maybe a legacy now and then.

• Like 2

My opinion….bama is going to be throwing the bank at making sure they get the same caliber of recruiting results that they have grown used to over the last several years. Lots of folks have said that they didn’t have to pay anymore because of on the field results, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t pay. I think they will try and buy their way beyond the saban years and they are hopeful that similar results will galvanize a belief that it’s just because they are alabama. 
Also my opinion, if they get the on the field results they won’t have to worry about who or when the next coach is because people will believe it’s just the awesomeness of alabama. 

If we wet the bed on this with the way college ball is trending we won’t be a consistent challenge for them going forward. 
I don’t have the answer but I hope someone does. 

• Like 3

I know losing him sucked but…we’re still in the top 10 on 247 and just outside it on On3, and in the top 10 in average ratings of both. I really don’t see the cause of panic here?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

I know losing him sucked but…we’re still in the top 10 on 247 and just outside it on On3, and in the top 10 in average ratings of both. I really don’t see the cause of panic here?

The absolute gall that You of all the people is the one to say this!!! 

IMG_6638.gif

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

OK, now I’m concerned.

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I mean, he’s destined to be great, isn’t he?

It’s about dadgum time!

2 hours ago, CR said:

OK, now I’m concerned.

You should be very very concerned now.........................

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MCPeePants said:

And 4* Kalen Edwards just decommitted.   Rough month.

I saw that. It’s just becoming a crap shoot with players committing, decommitting, playing money games, etc. The college game is ruined and I care very little about it anymore, which is sad, because I’ve been loving it for 45 years. It’s a shame. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

It’s way too early to be worried in this NIL universe.   A kid can be committed for a year or more and then we can just swoop in and offer more.  Someone can also swoop in at the last minute and steal a kid from us.  This is what recruiting is now.  

• Like 1

I want this Auburn staff to do well. That being said, I will not give them the benefit of the doubt until/unless the teams stop having games where they look unprepared/unmotivated.

But back to recruiting. It concerns me that Auburn has lost two highly rated defensive linemen recruits since Jeremy Garrett went to the NFL. Those being 4* Antonio Coleman and 4* Kalen Edwards. I do believe that Vontrell King-Williams is too new to judge so far but it is not a good first step. I hope he can pull in some good talent to replace them.

17 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

It’s way too early to be worried in this NIL universe.   A kid can be committed for a year or more and then we can just swoop in and offer more.  Someone can also swoop in at the last minute and steal a kid from us.  This is what recruiting is now.  

You're right.  Like it or not (and I don't), that's what recruiting is now everybody has to adjust including players, coaches & fans.

A little bit of good news maybe;  I want to remind everybody on this forum that we really didn't start cooking with our Top 10 Recruiting Class last year until around Big Cat Weekend.  We still have the next Portal window coming up to get D-lineman, and then hopefully after Big Cat the 2025 commitments start pouring in like they did last year.

Bottom line is we can't blow a gasket every time a player chooses someone else over us or decommits.  Times have changed in recruiting. We will get our good share in the end.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

You're right.  Like it or not (and I don't), that's what recruiting is now everybody has to adjust including players, coaches & fans.

A little bit of good news maybe;  I want to remind everybody on this forum that we really didn't start cooking with our Top 10 Recruiting Class last year until around Big Cat Weekend.  We still have the next Portal window coming up to get D-lineman, and then hopefully after Big Cat the 2025 commitments start pouring in like they did last year.

Bottom line is we can't blow a gasket every time a player chooses someone else over us or decommits.  Times have changed in recruiting. We will get our good share in the end.

Great post Argo

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

While I understand and agree, it kinda makes it hard to get excited about anyting commit related.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fishepa said:

While I understand and agree, it kinda makes it hard to get excited about anyting commit related.

Yeah. I like to see players commit; don't get me wrong.  But the ones who commit before they are seniors don't get me excited like they used to before NIL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Yeah. I like to see players commit; don't get me wrong.  But the ones who commit before they are seniors don't get me excited like they used to before NIL.

At this point I don’t get excited about recruits until they sign their NLI. And it looks like a lot of people share that same opinion before NIL took over a 4 star OT commit thread would be filled with posts. Dice’s commit thread barely has any posts in it at all smh

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oh I love it. But I'll really love it if he signs the real paper on signing day. It's just different now. 

• Like 1