2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

2 hours ago, Crypto Dentist said:

Makes no sense unless Drinkwater is as big of a jerk we think he is.

Judkins is Ole Miss, right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woodford said:

Just saw on Twitter where Judkins is entering the portal? 

This portal crap has gone all out of reason. Highly successful players at successful programs leaving because....why? They want a new jersey number? More money? It's a player's market out there but it sure is spoiling college football for this one fan at least. When It started I said I'd give it five years and then decide exactly how much I still cared. This is year four and I can tell you I already care a LOT less than I did before NIL/Transfer at will, 24/7/365 free agency set in. Great recruiting class? Found a diamond in the rough? Who cares? They could all be gone next week anyway. $110 tickets for a mid-level bowl game featuring two mediocre teams? That's silly.

I don't think this is sustainable.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This portal crap has gone all out of reason. Highly successful players at successful programs leaving because....why? They want a new jersey number? More money? It's a player's market out there but it sure is spoiling college football for this one fan at least. When It started I said I'd give it five years and then decide exactly how much I still cared. This is year four and I can tell you I already care a LOT less than I did before NIL/Transfer at will, 24/7/365 free agency set in. Great recruiting class? Found a diamond in the rough? Who cares? They could all be gone next week anyway. $110 tickets for a mid-level bowl game featuring two mediocre teams? That's silly.

Pay 18,19,20 year old kids exorbitant amounts of money, and let them transfer schools willy nilly. 

What could possibly go wrong?

Stupid.

About as dumb as letting sports writers vote on who is the national champion for over 100 years. 

College football, where idiots are in charge. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I can tell you that I’m closer to your end of the spectrum than I started out. The original NIL proposal didn’t sound bad at all but this is definitely not what I expected. You can’t blame the players though, they are just taking advantage of the opportunity in front of them. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It’s absolutely not sustainable @Mikey But never forget who took us here: NCAA administrators/TV contracts/Apparel makers/Coaches making millions. Everyone feeding at the trough on the backs of players. Most of whom will never play in the NFL. And don’t forget the games agents like Sexton have played for years. “Better give your coach a huge raise or he’ll take the job at School XYZ.” “Oh you’re firing my client, that’ll be $20 million not to coach.” In reality all that’s happening now is the players are driving the train now. FWIW, I don’t like it either but it’s here and it’s ugly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aujohnson said:

I think he meant freshwater. 😄

Ahhh. Gotcha. Sorry I should have figured that out!!Lol

8 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I can tell you that I’m closer to your end of the spectrum than I started out. The original NIL proposal didn’t sound bad at all but this is definitely not what I expected. You can’t blame the players though, they are just taking advantage of the opportunity in front of them. 

Yep

i hated it from the get go.  Always thought it would implode the sport.  I dont blame the kids.  If someone was gonna hand me legal money when I was their age I’d have taken it too.

… but the “adults” let it happen …

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Highly successful players at successful programs leaving because....why? They want a new jersey number? More money?

Not in Judkins’ case. Read the above tweet above your post.

27 minutes ago, Viper said:

Not in Judkins’ case. Read the above tweet above your post.

I did read it. That's according to the Ole Miss people. Who knows the truth besides those in the immediate circle?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

And just wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth when half of our prized WR class leaves after next season for greener pastures. Hide and watch!

Just now, jluvah said:

And just wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth when half of our prized WR class leaves after next season for greener pastures. Hide and watch!

Sad, but that's a distinct possibility.

I know it’s a different sport and I think the guy is a great addition to the team, but Chad Baker-Mazara is on his 4th team. That’s ridiculous 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I did read it. That's according to the Ole Miss people. Who knows the truth besides those in the immediate circle?

Looks like Lane and Judkins had a loser leaves town match and the HC won by default.

8TCcIPtXc8ulZQCxEi.webp

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, aujohnson said:

I think he meant freshwater. 😄

Freshwater - Drinkwater

Tomato - tamahto

His girlfriend is hot.

At this point just let them go pro out of high school and burn college eligibility. Those that want to come to school to develop and get an education come on. Most will flame out but if they want to make money so be it. Learn how the world works fast. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think contracts will be the next logical step perhaps in a new subdivision of CFB. I am 100% for transferring, but that doesn’t mean you have to or even should do it.

I propose a simply remedy to help ease the pain of this unnecessary transition:

1. You can’t transfer until after the spring semester. This would help deter guys from making rash decisions immediately after the season. It would help programs recruit and manage rosters. 

2. Eliminate ESD. NSD is the first Wednesday of February (or whenever) like usual. 

3. Conferences or schools share revenue. Pay a flat rate to every student athlete and allow NIL collectives to pay on top of that. This would help with Title IX. It’s not economical, but these are government entities to an extent, they don’t follow economic laws.  

4. Student athletes enter into contracts with schools or conferences, whoever is paying salary. If you leave before the contract is up you forfeit the money just like a regular contract. 

The sport needs competent leadership. I know that’s extremely rare in Western Civilization today so I doubt it happens but it really needs some guidance that is not putting corporate interests before the sport.

The next step is too change the playoff to 6 or 8 teams. Minimizing the importance of your greatest product (CFB regular season) is by far the most idiotic thing I have ever seen in American sports history. Why would I tune in every Saturday if I know it’s a not big deal and my team will make the playoffs anyway? The NFL would NEVER do that. They make sure your a$$ is in front of the TV every Sunday AND they play 17 games. It’s a crying shame what is happening to this great sport.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, woodford said:

Eliminate ESD. NSD is the first Wednesday of February (or whenever) like usual. 

The next step is too change the playoff to 6 or 8 teams.

morgan-freeman-good-luck.gif

Edited by Viper

44 minutes ago, woodford said:

The next step is too change the playoff to 6 or 8 teams.

Eight would have been ideal. 12 with the four "best" getting a further break by getting a bye in the first round is moronic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Eight would have been ideal. 12 with the four "best" getting a further break by getting a bye in the first round is moronic.

As we know the NCAA has always moved at a glacier pace and so for them to go from 4 to 12 in one season is extremely odd. 

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Really it’s just which 8 teams will join Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio St. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

As we know the NCAA has always moved at a glacier pace and so for them to go from 4 to 12 in one season is extremely odd. 

Next step- 36.

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Really it’s just which 8 teams will join Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio St. 

dabo-dabo-swinney.gif

• Haha 1