NMSU Post mortem

TitanTiger

I thought Thorne may get a chance to be QB 1 next yr. Not sure now. Saw him on sidelines last nite and Robby Ashford, of all people, was trying to calm him down. I just don't think he and Freeze like each other. So there may be a mutual parting of ways. 

• Facepalm 1

From the first snap to the last, they just looked better. In every facet of the game. Honestly, I don’t think was much of a fluke loss as it was they were just better than us. 

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I thought Thorne may get a chance to be QB 1 next yr. Not sure now. Saw him on sidelines last nite and Robby Ashford, of all people, was trying to calm him down. I just don't think he and Freeze like each other. So there may be a mutual parting of ways. 

Thorne is a guy who would look good for an established team who needs an average QB. The pieces have to be there for him to be successful. We need a playmaker at QB because our program is not just there yet. I expect to see a major roster turnover next year, LSU style.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

From the first snap to the last, they just looked better. In every facet of the game. Honestly, I don’t think was much of a fluke loss as it was they were just better than us. 

They sure looked it for thTgame.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AUbritt said:

I still want someone to PAY for that loss.

Auburn already paid for this loss. Auburn paid NMSU $1.85 MILLION to drop by and beat our azzzzz.

Edited by AURex
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

The La Monroe comparison isn't really it.  What's more applicable is Saban in his first year at LSU losing to UAB at home.  He had zero championships under his belt then.  Just a string of four .500 seasons at Michigan State then a 9-2 one he cashed in on to get to Baton Rouge.  

Or Norvell in his second year at FSU losing to Jacksonville State.

Neither of those coaches at those moments had anything.  We know what Saban has done since.  Norvell has his team at 12-0 and poised to make the playoff if his backup QB can perform well enough.

We'll see if we can channel the same lessons from this game going forward.

Those games were close. UAB kicked the game winner as time expired. Jacksonville State won on a hail mary. We were never in this game with New Mexico blind sisters of the poor who lost to Hawaii and UMass.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stephen66 said:

Those games were close. UAB kicked the game winner as time expired. Jacksonville State won on a hail mary. We were never in this game with New Mexico blind sisters of the poor who lost to Hawaii and UMass.

No one was making any claim otherwise.  If you look close enough you can nitpick anything to death and show how they’re not *really* precisely the same  

It feels like some of you want to argue just to argue.

• Love 1

Just now, Stephen66 said:

They did, but they also just reeled off 7 straight wins. It is coaching. It is getting the most from what you have. It is about getting better each game of the season. My hat is off to them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

Didn't the STATistics tell us that Auburn's offense was getting better over the last 3 games?

It was. But you can’t mistake getting better with “we can just show up and beat people.”  You have to put forth the same level of effort and focus. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

It was. But you can’t mistake getting better with “we can just show up and beat people.”  You have to put forth the same level of effort and focus. 

No one has any real reason it happened. They showed up and had a poor plan matched with poor execution and effort. 

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No one was making any claim otherwise.  If you look close enough you can nitpick anything to death and show how they’re not *really* precisely the same  

Seems that way for many.

image.jpeg.cb13d43295072d906048a473daf7beba.jpeg

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Your wasting your time explaining this. Even though there are numerous examples of these kinda losses during a rebuild. Even though it was a total embarrassing loss.. Some can't see the forest for the trees. I  would say more times than not theses losses happen at some point in a rebuild 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Your wasting your time explaining this. Even though there are numerous examples of these kinda losses during a rebuild. Even though it was a total embarrassing loss.. Some can't see the forest for the trees. I  would say more times than not theses losses happen at some point in a rebuild 

Hurts worse when it’s us though. Totally agree with the comment.

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thorne is a guy who would look good for an established team who needs an average QB. The pieces have to be there for him to be successful. We need a playmaker at QB because our program is not just there yet. I expect to see a major roster turnover next year, LSU style.

Yeah, Thorne seems to be a game manager type QB. We ain't got the talent for him to just be a manager. 

• Like 2

in the light of day, in the morning after:

1) We were not prepared at all. This is a coaching thing. 

2) We have no Senior Leadership from the players. That is a player thing.

3) We have been totally embarassed by a team we should have mauled. That is a program thing. 

We are lite on talent and lite on leadership. The coaches can do only so much. But this game also completely published the "How to Beat a Hugh Freeze Coached Team." This game was a once in a lifetime loss. You have to 83 or more years old to remember an embarassing loss this bad. That loss came before Shug Jordan came to coach at Auburn. 

Was it a fluke? Was it a precursor of things to come? We will see. 

I still think Freeze needs to have time to right the ship. God knows Harsin left no talent for us. Worst recruiter in the SEC, possibly ever. I still think we will get far better. I still think Freeze is probably our answer, but man, that was a horrible ass kicking by a solidly less talented team than Auburn. If we play them 4 more times, we go 0-5. Our kids didnt seem to get animated, get fired up, get off their ass and folks, if they cant respond to on the field beat down, we need to punt half of them off the team.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, DAG said:

Maybe, maybe not. You can turn a roster upside down with the transfer portal too. Don't think this squad is his foundation and basically has acted like that throughout the season.

+1 I agree with this since its the only thing that makes sense, this whole year has really been no progress and this game proves that, its the only thing that makes any sense. The only other conclusion would be that is a really bad coach, so between those to I think this whole year he has been focused on recruiting but he better switch things up soon since we cannot keep getting whooped by the likes of NMSU.

The players deserve better and it's like he has thrown them under the bus, feel bad for the players they deserve better.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I like what you said here. I saw an AU team yesterday that was arrogant and unengaged. New Mexico did nothing special. They said we are prepared to play and you guys are a bottom basement dwelling sec team. I don’t think New Mexico had an elaborate game plan. Hoover would have beat AU and that’s Hugh Lukewarms  fault 

• Like 1

NMSU was not a good team. Below is their schedule and the records of the teams they have played before us. The teams they have beaten, not including us, have a combined record of (22-56). They have only beaten one team with a winning record before us. They have two losses to teams with losing records. 

Only UTEP and Middle Tennessee scored less than we did with 7 points each. Even winless Western Illinois scored 21 on them.

Only three times this year, against FIU, Western Kentucky, and UMass, have they scored 30 points or more. This was not a great defense or a great offense we played. 

People want to bring up Saban's loss to La Monroe as comparable but it really isn't. If you want a more accurate equivalent, it is Chad Morris at Arkansas losing by 26 at home to (9-3) Western Kentucky. I don't think it can be overstated how bad of a loss this was.  

UMass (3-8) L

Western Illinois (0-11) W

Liberty (11-0) L

New Mexico (4-7) W

Hawaii (4-8) L

FIU (4-7) W

Sam Houston (2-9) W

UTEP (3-8) W

La Tech (3-9) W

Western Kentucky (6-5) W

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

+1 I agree with this since its the only thing that makes sense, this whole year has really been no progress and this game proves that, its the only thing that makes any sense. The only other conclusion would be that is a really bad coach, so between those to I think this whole year he has been focused on recruiting but he better switch things up soon since we cannot keep getting whooped by the likes of NMSU.

The players deserve better and it's like he has thrown them under the bus, feel bad for the players they deserve better.

Deserve better? They played like crap.   Deserve better?  The coaches deserve someone that is going to give 100 % and not except this kind of effort.    Refuse to lose!!! It’s a mindset not instilled by a coach but by a burning desire inside that person.   This is not blame just the coaches scenario.    Blame goes to everyone.   

• Dislike 1

17 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Truth be known, I was worried about this game being too close for comfort.  Just seemed like a classic trap game before the Iron Bowl with an opponent that's better than the name on their jerseys typically make you think.  But I was more worried about sleepwalking to an ugly win than actually losing, much less losing this badly. 

So deflating after the momentum built by the last few weeks, especially that emphatic beatdown on the road last week.

Yeah, the refs were terrible.  Seemed like every time we made a play, laundry was on the field when we were on offense.  And that missed call on the fumble down 17-7 was a dagger.  But we just should not lose to New Mexico State even in a down or rebuilding year.  Period.  How this team gets back up to put up a fight next week vs Bama eludes my imagination.

No one ever talks about "trap games" with Saban or Kirby.  Trap games is only used when you know you're not well coached.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I’m with you. Not so sure that any of our scholarship QBs from this season will be at AU come next Fall.

Just now, japantiger said:

No one ever talks about "trap games" with Saban or Kirby.  Trap games is only used when you know you're not well coached.

This is horse sh$t.   Everyone talks about trap games.   Hell, Saban invented the term, rat poison.