For the love of God, pump the breaks

ScotsAU

I know some folks are still feeling the emotions of yesterday, are in panic mode, and still aren’t going to be able to listen to reason or logic here. So I’m probably going to get some hate in this thread. I’ll eat that because this needs to be said. 

In the words of AR… Relax! Take a deep breath or two. Go rewatch us against the previous three opponents. Go look at our recruiting rankings now. Then go back and look at how badly Harsin did in every aspect of the game while he was here. 

Yesterday was bad. There’s no getting around that. But yesterday was not cause for an immediate flip to panic mode. Go back to this board 5 days ago. Everything was generally very positive about the direction of the program. One bad game shouldn’t change that narrative. 

There are plenty of potential explanations. But end of the day, it fell on focus. The players did not respect that NMSU could beat them, and did not show up mentally focused. Who is to blame? Some of it could go on the current coaching staff. But Freeze started odd his presser for the week saying that this team made him nervous because they’ve won 8 in a row. I don’t think he was taking this game lightly. What’s more likely? A Harsin hangover. When was the last time Auburn won three SEC games in a row? 2020… before the vast majority of players were on this roster. They don’t know what it feels like to win three in a row and dominate an SEC school. As such, the most likely scenario was that these players ignored the warnings of their coaches that this game will be harder than they expect. 

That’s just one plausible theory that suggests the sky isn’t falling, and there are probably others. So before we all allow our emotions to get the best of us and give up on these coaches, how about we hit the pause button and see how they rebound? How about we wait and see how we play in our bowl game? How about we wait and see what our final recruiting class looks like? How about we wait and see what Freeze is able to do next year with less of Harsin’s remaining players and more of his own? So again, folks, stop being emotional. Relax.

I’ll hang up and listen… or probably not because I’m sure a lot of the posts are going to be from people still thinking with their amygdala instead of their prefrontal cortex. But I hope once everyone calms the fff down, folks will realistically consider what I’ve said.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I know some folks are still feeling the emotions of yesterday, are in panic mode, and still aren’t going to be able to listen to reason or logic here. So I’m probably going to get some hate in this thread. I’ll eat that because this needs to be said. 

In the words of AR… Relax! Take a deep breath or two. Go rewatch us against the previous three opponents. Go look at our recruiting rankings now. Then go back and look at how badly Harsin did in every aspect of the game while he was here. 

Yesterday was bad. There’s no getting around that. But yesterday was not cause for an immediate flip to panic mode. Go back to this board 5 days ago. Everything was generally very positive about the direction of the program. One bad game shouldn’t change that narrative. 

There are plenty of potential explanations. But end of the day, it fell on focus. The players did not respect that NMSU could beat them, and did not show up mentally focused. Who is to blame? Some of it could go on the current coaching staff. But Freeze started odd his presser for the week saying that this team made him nervous because they’ve won 8 in a row. I don’t think he was taking this game lightly. What’s more likely? A Harsin hangover. When was the last time Auburn won three SEC games in a row? 2020… before the vast majority of players were on this roster. They don’t know what it feels like to win three in a row and dominate an SEC school. As such, the most likely scenario was that these players ignored the warnings of their coaches that this game will be harder than they expect. 

That’s just one plausible theory that suggests the sky isn’t falling, and there are probably others. So before we all allow our emotions to get the best of us and give up on these coaches, how about we hit the pause button and see how they rebound? How about we wait and see how we play in our bowl game? How about we wait and see what our final recruiting class looks like? How about we wait and see what Freeze is able to do next year with less of Harsin’s remaining players and more of his own? So again, folks, stop being emotional. Relax.

I’ll hang up and listen… or probably not because I’m sure a lot of the posts are going to be from people still thinking with their amygdala instead of their prefrontal cortex. But I hope once everyone calms the fff down, folks will realistically consider what I’ve said.

This message board is no place for rational, common sense takes on the state of our program right now. It's doom and gloom or bust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

One thing I find about posters on this board is it is only make sense if you AGREE WITH THEM 100%. Actually, that is consistent theme across the board otherwise you are one or more below:

1. A bad fan

2. Bammer

3. Doom and gloom

4. Homer

5. Hater

6. Irrational

What am I  missing?

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Disagree….it was a nightmarish really really horrible and institutional embarrassing game.

Correct:

It is okay to say this was a terrible game and a loss to a team we had no business losing to while also acknowledging that Freeze shouldn't be fired and recruiting is the priority  right now. It is also fine to acknowledge that he has done BOTH good and bad in his short span here. But no, you can't compromise, you have to 100% AGREE WITH THE OTHER PERSON or you are WRONG!

• Thanks 2
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

One thing I find about posters on this board is it is only make sense if you AGREE WITH THEM 100%. Actually, that is consistent theme across the board otherwise you are one or more below:

1. A bad fan

2. Bammer

3. Doom and gloom

4. Homer

5. Hater

6. Irrational

What am I  missing?

7.  You don’t know as much as I do because I was a water polo walk on at Auburn. 

8.  Antifreezers

9.  “I’m a mod/admin so I know more than you.”

10.  You should see what The Nest is saying.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Correct:

It is okay to say this was a terrible game and a loss to a team we had no business losing to while also acknowledging that Freeze shouldn't be fired and recruiting is the priority  right now. It is also fine to acknowledge that he has done BOTH good and bad in his short span here. But no, you can't compromise, you have to 100% AGREE WITH THE OTHER PERSON or you are WRONG!

Can I say that I have liked and loathed the current staff and team, sometimes within the span of the same drive?  Or do I always have to agree with myself?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Disagree….it was a nightmarish really really horrible and institutional embarrassing game.

I thought most of the coaching staff yesterday handled the post game well - embarrassing, unacceptable, we failed the players, ect. Totally fell on their swords. Which had to be hard. Hate it but I’ll live with that. This was far more than a flukey 6 turnover close game loss. I greatly prefer that candor and disappointment to trying  to minimize the scale of this or saying it was because of … the roster.

Regardless, we’ll survive.

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

1. A bad fan

2. Bammer

3. Doom and gloom

4. Homer

5. Hater

6. Irrational

What am I  missing?

Because most people's takes,regardless of the subject, all go back to their like/dislike of the head coach. So there has to be 100% agreement .   U either for Freeze or against him is how most discussions are framed on this board. There's no happy medium. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not for Freeze per say. I'm for whoever the AU coach is until he proves he isn't the man for the job.  IMO, we are nowhere close to that point with Freeze.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Because most people's takes,regardless of the subject, all go back to their like/dislike of the head coach. So there has to be 100% agreement .   U either for Freeze or against him is how most discussions are framed on this board. There's no happy medium. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not for Freeze per say. I'm for whoever the AU coach is until he proves he isn't the man for the job.  IMO, we are nowhere close to that point with Freeze.

That is also BS. I am pro the hell out of freeze, but yesterday he did a very poor job of getting the team ready. I particularly do not like how he gave up play calling this season and I am not so sure I agree with him basically treating the players he recruited to get here (albeit in a short manner) in a state of ambivalence. He is recruiting for the future and I am gracious enough to give him time (not that I have a choice), but I am not going to sit here and keep moving goal post for what I see on the field. If he gets us a top tier class and a number 1 or 2 transfer recruiting class, then it was a good plan. Anything less will be problematic.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I didn’t like the hire initially but warmed a bit due to some positives.  Yesterday was like when you find out the girl you just started to think is cute is interested in some other guy.  Or girl.  (Gotta stay diverse.)   It’s not the end of the world but it still stings.  

Edited by Dwayne Pride

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

1. A bad fan

2. Bammer

3. Doom and gloom

4. Homer

5. Hater

6. Irrational

What am I  missing?

In fairness to @ScotsAU he did begin with “some folks”. 

18 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

It’s such a shame that all the good will, confidence and optimism this coaching staff  and team built over the past three games crashed and burned yesterday. Freeze will never live this down just like Saban is still reminded occasionally on his ULM loss in 2007.

Far as I am concerned, HF is back to square one with the Auburn family. Let’s see how he responds against Bammer, the early signing date and the bowl game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Because most people's takes,regardless of the subject, all go back to their like/dislike of the head coach. So there has to be 100% agreement .   U either for Freeze or against him is how most discussions are framed on this board. There's no happy medium. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not for Freeze per se. I'm for whoever the AU coach is until he proves he isn't the man for the job.  IMO, we are nowhere close to that point with Freeze.

Out of curiosity, what would that moment look like? 

I've been a supporter of Freeze, and still am.  But yesterday's debacle is hard to take.

I'll be OK if he holds together a good recruiting class.  But if yesterday's major downer carries over into a quitter's performance next week, and the recruiting class suffers, I don't know.

It's time for AU to win again.  I thought we were on the right road.  I still hope we are.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I thought most of the coaching staff yesterday handled the post game well - embarrassing, unacceptable, we failed the players, ect. Totally fell on their swords. Which had to be hard. Hate it but I’ll live with that. This was far more than a flukey 6 turnover close game loss. I greatly prefer that candor and disappointment to trying  to minimize the scale of this or saying it was because of … the roster.

Glad they handled post game well. Obviously did not handle the game any way at all. Went yesterday only because some of the family not using scholarship seating and as expected not overly packed. Easy to see from NMSU first drive and our first 3 and out that we were in for battle. Thought surely we would wake up but never happened. You are correct in no fluke. From my great seat looked like we were manhandled by what appeared to be the better team.

Know we will survive. Heck, not even throwing the towel in vs Bammer. Survival is just more fun when we win.

This has helped me immensely (it will make you laugh):

Edited by WillMunny

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

Hearing that way to much, ho0w about them addressing their failures then they won't have to constantly apologize.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

I agree. Hard for me to place blame on the last HC. All I’ve heard HF do all is year is to an extent show very little trust or belief in the players that are here now. Regardless, he’s now had his tail kicked two years in a row by this coach. Recruits are obviously needed, but so is Good Coaching. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I've been a supporter of Freeze, and still am.  But yesterday's debacle is hard to take.

I'll be OK if he holds together a good recruiting class.  But if yesterday's major downer carries over into a quitter's performance next week, and the recruiting class suffers, I don't know.

It's time for AU to win again.  I thought we were on the right road.  I still hope we are.

I kind of thought the same thing, but I am back to having tons of questions about coaching again. 

• Like 1