Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

Pointing out guys that weren't good is moot. Like I said I'm literally talking Heisman winners were transfers, I didn't even go outside of that, like how the best QB in the world was a transfer.... There's not a debate that can be made as far as you can't just say well he couldn't start where he is at so he's not good. Can't argue it. That logic can't work. Period.

Weren’t they all multiple year transfers?

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

His qb coach from Liberty is on staff, not sure Bo Wallace was ever coached up By anyone.  He just got more comfortable in that type of offense.  

I actually just looked up if he had ever been a qb coach because so many Auburn fans make claims of him being a qb developer when Hugh himself says he doesn’t work on fundamentals with qbs and doesn’t know that stuff.  Maybe it is the Gus factor of thinking Hugh micromanages every aspect of practice like Gus did.

The bold and underlined section is where the optimism would come from. 
Clearly PT wasn’t a world beater by season end but he appeared to make the right decision more often than not. 
It seems as though Coach Freeze is leaning into that.

The guy that just left from Louisiana... That's a guy who PT should be able to beat out, he has an arm, he has a good TD int ratio, he has a good completion percentage, he has 3 years of eligibility. He's very athletic. Could do damage in a freeze offense. Can't be asking for a bunch of money.

Look at how hard that is to find a guy.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

The guy that just left from Louisiana... That's a guy who PT should be able to beat out, he has an arm, he has a good TD int ratio, he has a good completion percentage, he has 3 years of eligibility. He's very athletic. Could do damage in a freeze offense. Can't be asking for a bunch of money.

Look at how hard that is to find a guy.....

Appears, he is not looking. But I’m sure when he reads your post, he will go check him out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Appears, he is not looking. But I’m sure when he reads your post, he will go check him out.

Boy the way your feelings get hurt about PT I'm sure you're sexually attracted to him

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Boy the way your feelings get hurt about PT I'm sure you're sexually attracted to him

It was a joke, ha. Assume your was also ( mine was alot better than yours). Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2023 at 12:42 PM, cole256 said:

Pointing out guys that weren't good is moot. Like I said I'm literally talking Heisman winners were transfers, I didn't even go outside of that, like how the best QB in the world was a transfer.... There's not a debate that can be made as far as you can't just say well he couldn't start where he is at so he's not good. Can't argue it. That logic can't work. Period.

Yeah, how many of the QBs in the pros right now were transfers. Burrows, Hurts, Fields and killing it for the most part 

Cam was too of course. Nix might be the next. Willis… and more I’m sure. 

Edited by toddc

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Yeah, how many of the QBs in the pros right now were transfers. Burrows, Hurts, …

Cam was too of course. Nix might be the next. Willis… and more I’m sure. 

It’s a pretty big crap shoot. How much money do you throw at that. There are certainly more transfer QBs that continue to do nothing after a transfer than there are that become the best in the country. We just don’t hear about them anymore and can only focus on the successful cases. 
The Sanders kid people wanted us to get that went to Ole Miss. 

Leary to Kentucky last year. 

The guy that Cal got, that they were pumped about last year that’s back in the portal. 
Were those worth while expenses?

It’s a roll of the dice and expensive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aujohnson said:

It’s a pretty big crap shoot. How much money do you throw at that. There are certainly more transfer QBs that continue to do nothing after a transfer than there are that become the best in the country. We just don’t hear about them anymore and can only focus on the successful cases. 
The Sanders kid people wanted us to get that went to Ole Miss. 

Leary to Kentucky last year. 

The guy that Cal got, that they were pumped about last year that’s back in the portal. 
Were those worth while expenses?

It’s a roll of the dice and expensive. 

It's a bigger crap shoot with guys that aren't transfers. Fact is best in the country is a small group, looks like the transfer has a higher yield than no transfer.

You said Leary I don't know who that is but levis before him was a transfer and look. Was levis worth it? They would say absolutely

You mention the cal guy but as far as that conference go the best QBs are transfers. Was Bo and Penix and Sanders worth it? Absolutely.

But yeah you can always go to a group and find whatever outcome you want. 

Edited by cole256

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's a bigger crap shoot with guys that aren't transfers. Fact is best in the country is a small group, looks like the transfer has a higher yield than no transfer.

You said Leary I don't know who that is but levis before him was a transfer and look. Was levis worth it? They would say absolutely

You mention the cal guy but as far as that conference go the best QBs are transfers. Was Bo and Penix and Sanders worth it? Absolutely.

Also the LSU kid who won the heisman . Definitely a transfer. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

Also the LSU kid who won the heisman . Definitely a transfer. 

Like the last 5 out of 7 Heisman guys were transfers.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Like the last 5 out of 7 Heisman guys were transfers.

True, 5 of last 10 too, I believe. Transfers are definitely much more likely now than 10 years ago, though.

Edited by Hank2020

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

We have gotten four transfers recently if the odds are so good where are our results? Are we just bad at it? 

Do you think PT looked significantly worse than Bo at their time of transfer?

Daniel’s was pretty good his first year at LSU but it was a second year jump that got him to the Heisman. 

Kentucky went 10-3 and then 7-4 the second with Levis and no legit hardware to show for it. I have no idea what they paid but I’m not sure I see a return. 

15 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

We have gotten four transfers recently if the odds are so good where are our results? Are we just bad at it? 

Daniel’s was pretty good his first year at LSU but it was a second year jump that got him to the Heisman. 

Kentucky went 10-3 and then 7-4 the second with Levis and no legit hardware to show for it. I have no idea what they paid but I’m not sure I see a return. 

I mean it's been a minute but the only two national championships we've been to in modern-day college football were by first-year transfers.  As much as I gave Jarret Stidham crap, we also got to an SEC championship with him in his first year.

21 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

Think about what you are saying..... If Kentucky went 10-3 and 7-4 what would they had done without him? 

You trying to set some standard like a guy isn't worth it unless he wins a championship makes no sense. On top of you moving the goal post. 

Once again the point is it's dumb to try to stand on a premise of if a QB couldn't beat out the guy at his school he's not going to be good enough here. That's it. Nobody talking and making any point to make that logic be sound. Period. 

But beyond that if you can't see how Kentucky going 10-3 is not only good it's amazing for them then I don't know what to tell you. 

And lastly put that logic to yourself the other way around as far as your first sentence.. We have waaaaay more than 4 players that aren't transfers, if the odds are so much better than transfers where are your results? Are we just bad at it?

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I mean it's been a minute but the only two national championships we've been to in modern-day college football were by first-year transfers.  As much as I gave Jarret Stidham crap, we also got to an SEC championship with him in his first year.

And Cam didn't beat out Tim Tebow, or Brantley..... So he's not good enough to play anywhere else ...... Theoretically

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

I’m not trying to argue that they don’t have value and can’t be lightning in a bottle, just that getting a transfer costs money now and it is a gamble with that money. 
It’s very possible to hit big but there is the real possibility to just be burning money. 
It seems that the thinking right now in the athletics department is that burning money is more likely than PT success. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

And Cam didn't beat out Tim Tebow, or Brantley..... So he's not good enough to play anywhere else ...... Theoretically

And Nick Marshall was a defensive back . Jarrett stidham also was a back up.