Men vs Vandy Game Thread

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I hope this is remembered as the game that got Denver Jones going. If he can give us double digits constantly…oh man

This for sure is the Denver we all thought we would see from the start.  Also nice to see that last seasons Jaylin disappeared.  I much prefer the seasons version.

War Damn Denver Jones Eagle bay baaaay!!!! L F G!!!! Wooooo!!!! Yesssirrrr!!!! A big how boutcheaaaa!!! 🧡💙🐯🐅🦅

IMG_6879.jpeg

IMG_6878.jpeg

IMG_6877.jpeg

IMG_6876.jpeg

IMG_6875.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

• Haha 2

This game showed both the good side of Auburn basketball and the bad side. Good side we play hard, on any game we can have multiple players in double figures and it can be different players. This 

Team feeds off energy of the Jungle and makes us one of toughest home teams.

Bad side no consistent PG scoring, bonehead plays like 2 over and back turnovers, some bad rebounding sequences.

On PG at this point in his career Aiden has a decent handle but isn't physical enough to get inside and score or use drive to setup other players. If his outside shot not falling he has no offense. Hoping a year with strength and conditioning coach will make him a complete player.

At this point Tre is a more complete PG who can help even when not having a game he does little things like 5 boards.

This will be an up and down year. Seeing Denver have a good game gives me hope. How we handle better teams at home and winning some road games like ole miss will determine how good we can become.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Bad side no consistent PG scoring, bonehead plays like 2 over and back turnovers, some bad rebounding sequences.

On PG at this point in his career Aiden has a decent handle but isn't physical enough to get inside and score or use drive to setup other players. If his outside shot not falling he has no offense. Hoping a year with strength and conditioning coach will make him a complete player.

At this point Tre is a more complete PG who can help even when not having a game he does little things like 5 boards.

gotta love Denver getting hot with the 3s.  We need that to happen every game, going forward.  I suspect that Pearl is telling Holloway to keep shooting until he breaks out of the slump.  That's his coaching style.   Can you imagine what kind offense we can generate if Holloway, Denver, and Tre get hot at the same time?  That will open up our inside offense and improve rebounding.

The SEC is getting really physical/violent, with the new charging rules and the lenient officials.  Denver, Holloway and CBM don't have the body types to absorb physical punishment.  Opposing coaches are telling their players to bang our guards hard and often.  Tre, KD & Lior are built wide & heavy, so they can absorb more hits.  KD has a honey badger mindset, so he thrives on the rough play.  Holloway has some growing and weight training to do before he reaches his potential.

13 hours ago, gravejd said:

AU up by 20 in case anyone following at home is concerned over comments lol. 

We haven’t played great overall though. 

Anyone who’s ‘concerned over comments’ is concerned about the wrong thing.

Now, concerned at the wildly erratic play of the basketball team last night…legit. Vanderbilt just isn’t a good enough team to have taken advantage of the mistakes and turnovers.

Turn in a performance like that vs the next 7 opponents, and it won’t be pretty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Now, concerned at the wildly erratic play of the basketball team last night…legit. Vanderbilt just isn’t a good enough team to have taken advantage of the mistakes and turnovers.

Turn in a performance like that vs the next 7 opponents, and it won’t be pretty.

If Vandy wasn’t like 345th in the country (or whatever the announcer said) in 3s, the game would’ve been a lot closer. 27 point win is nice, but Vandy is 0fer in conference. 

If we can walk out of Oxford with a win, or even a respectable loss, I’ll feel a lot better going forward. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If i was following this thread last night to know if AU was winning the game or not, I would have thought it was a nail biter or that AU was losing and I would have been concerned. I was posting a score update for those following along and not watching the game. 

Hey the team needs to get better and play better going forward. Its a true statement and no one is arguing that. I do question if some of you guys have expectations that are rooted in reality or not but i'm also not trying to manage those for ya. So if you want to be doom and gloom while Auburn is winning a game then you do your thing. I plan to enjoy what wins we can get cause its going to be tough sledding the rest of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Someone explain to me what determines who gets the 1st possession of the 2nd half?

Were you kidding?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

Were you kidding?

Actually, no. We won the opening tip and had the last possession of the 1st half, and the opening possession of the 2nd half.  Is it who has the possession arrow to end the 1st half? 

I've just never paid attention to how it works.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Actually, no. We won the opening tip and had the last possession of the 1st half, and the opening possession of the 2nd half.  Is it who has the possession arrow to end the 1st half? 

It is determined who gets the ball in the second half based on the possession arrow. 

• Thanks 1

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I feel like I'm too hard on Broome most of the time, but his help defense just seems non-existent. Does anyone feel like that? It's like he can't react fast enough. 

Edited by AU Is Gold
Grammar

2 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

It is determined who gets the ball in the second half based on the possession arrow. 

10.4 at least I had it as one of my options...just never thought much about it before.

Broome has his 3 pt. % up to 34% after his terrible start. Not bad, not bad. Holloway now at 32%.  I'm sure that will go up, but he needs to be more selective for a while. There are other good shooters not in a slump to dish to.

4 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Yes, as someone else answer above.  

The only thing we can do and hope is support these guys and hope every single game they get better and we be ready when it's tourney time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

The only thing we can do and hope is support these guys and hope every single game they get better and we be ready when it's tourney time

I can support you and criticize you at the same time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BizEagle said:

gotta love Denver getting hot with the 3s.  We need that to happen every game, going forward.  I suspect that Pearl is telling Holloway to keep shooting until he breaks out of the slump.  That's his coaching style.   Can you imagine what kind offense we can generate if Holloway, Denver, and Tre get hot at the same time?  That will open up our inside offense and improve rebounding.

The SEC is getting really physical/violent, with the new charging rules and the lenient officials.  Denver, Holloway and CBM don't have the body types to absorb physical punishment.  Opposing coaches are telling their players to bang our guards hard and often.  Tre, KD & Lior are built wide & heavy, so they can absorb more hits.  KD has a honey badger mindset, so he thrives on the rough play.  Holloway has some growing and weight training to do before he reaches his potential.

Lenient officiating?   Did you even watch the game last night, bro?   There were more ticky tack fouls than I have seen in a while.  

4 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

10.4 at least I had it as one of my options...just never thought much about it before.

And you are the problem with casual fans not understanding rules.  

• Dislike 2

42 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

And you are the problem with casual fans not understanding rules.  

That’s your response? You won’t survive the zombie apocalypse, Cosmo. 😆

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

That’s your response? You won’t survive the zombie apocalypse, Cosmo. 😆

My point was that people don’t know simple rules like that and that is an issue.  When things happen in a game and people lose their minds and curse the officials, many times it is because they don’t know what the actual rule is.  

As far as the zombie apocalypse, I plan on dying day one.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCAubs said:

My point was that people don’t know simple rules like that and that is an issue.  When things happen in a game and people lose their minds and curse the officials, many times it is because they don’t know what the actual rule is.  

As far as the zombie apocalypse, I plan on dying day one.  

Ha! I know ‘the rules’ I just never thought about the possession one.  I actually figured it out on my own if you saw my post…so, I’m getting there…😂

And, even so, I don’t have to be a master plumber to recognize a stopped-up toilet…

Also, I’m not one of the ref blamers.  We have enough of those around here.

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 1