Men vs UK Game Thread

6 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

You touched on all my points

one thing is , they believed in their plan. They executed. 

Kentucky could be the most talented team in America that has not figured out how to play together yet. 

AU is maybe the 3-4 best team in the league.

It’s reality . 

Behind?

7 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Behind?

Bama, Ky and Tenn.  I believe at last look Auburn was the 3rd highest rated SEC team according to bracketology

• Like 1

Honestly this roster is probably 6th-ish in terms of talent. Ark, Bama, Ken, Tenn, SCar, off of the top of my head. Ark has bastardized roster construction and is feeling the blowback of that. KY had some guys who weren’t playing early for reason or another. 

point of this post is that A. We’ve over accomplished relative to the talent level B. When you have less talent, you have a lower margin of error C. It’d be nice to have a few more top level guys

I think our strength really is having 10 contributor level players, but the problem to me is that like 3-4 of those dudes aren’t really that good this season. Not gonna relitigate who those guys are, but I really think that the 2017 and 18 teams are like a baseline level of talent we should be looking for. As far as the good Aub teams, this team is probably on the lower end of the ladder. Thankfully, it’s an overall year where there aren’t too many standout SEC teams in terms of talent, so it’s not like we’re way worse than anyone else. 

I don’t think we need a massive roster upheaval, but whether bc of more growth or bc of transfer, we need like 3 more pieces imo.

• Thanks 1

IMO , I believe Aden would have less pressure if he was playing with someone like Sears.  He probably would feel less pressed to score and be more comfortable. U get 20 or more from that position in this game and u win. To date I don’t believe Donaldson or himself are the floor generals needed. Still time for someone to truly emerge

6 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Missing the version of Holloway we had against Baylor 

Missing the version of Holloway that made him worth a scholarship. 😝

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Honestly this roster is probably 6th-ish in terms of talent. Ark, Bama, Ken, Tenn, SCar, off of the top of my head. Ark has bastardized roster construction and is feeling the blowback of that. KY had some guys who weren’t playing early for reason or another. 

point of this post is that A. We’ve over accomplished relative to the talent level B. When you have less talent, you have a lower margin of error C. It’d be nice to have a few more top level guys

I think our strength really is having 10 contributor level players, but the problem to me is that like 3-4 of those dudes aren’t really that good this season. Not gonna relitigate who those guys are, but I really think that the 2017 and 18 teams are like a baseline level of talent we should be looking for. As far as the good Aub teams, this team is probably on the lower end of the ladder. Thankfully, it’s an overall year where there aren’t too many standout SEC teams in terms of talent, so it’s not like we’re way worse than anyone else. 

I don’t think we need a massive roster upheaval, but whether bc of more growth or bc of transfer, we need like 3 more pieces imo.

We are more talented than South Carolina. A good bit of the sec is. I agree with all the rest. They have vastly outplayed their talent level up until this point. That was a really bad loss though vs lsu at home yesterday.

I would throw in Florida and TAMU as well to your list. If we had TAMU starting back court of Wade Taylor and Boots Ragland we would be the best team in the country. Steven Pearl said on his weekly Tuesday appearance that Florida has top 3 talent in the sec. I agree. They have some dudes and can really shoot and score the basketball.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

KY , TN, Bama 

I would say 3rd behind Tn, Kentucky…if we wake up on the right side of the bed on game day. That’s our biggest weakness.

• Like 1

Well that was about as deflating of a loss as a team can have right there. Sure would have been nice to go into the bye feeling a bit better about things. But after taking a couple days to reflect on the game I don't think there is any reason to freak out. We knew this team could have terrible shooting nights, we actually had one of these poor shooting nights at home early in the season against Virginia Tech. We forget about it cause we won that game but in that one we shot 2-16 from 3pt land. 

In this instance Kentucky was too pumped up and too talented for us to survive a poor shooting night. Add on the foul trouble Tre was in throughout the game and we just could never get any momentum going. Give Kentucky a ton of credit...they jump on us early and stayed on us and we never really could get the crowd into it and impact their game. That was text book on how to go in and win in a tough environment. Tip your cap they were able to pull it off. I'll also give the refs a little credit for the Kentucky win as well. I felt that a LOT of calls went their way. Not saying the refs lost the game for AU but they didn't do us any favors either. 

I think the biggest take away for me is that I hope Tre is smarter with the fouls going forward. He is our floor general and we cannot lose him for long stretches of the game and hope to still play good offense. If he has to back off on defense to accomplish staying in the game then he needs to learn to do that.