Roster Management - Spring Game Week Edition

Zeek

Tell your employer that I said to give you more free time ZEEK, or he/she is terminated immediately!

• Haha 1

Good stuff @Zeek!!!

I do like this roster better than any we’ve had in the last few years.  
PT is a serviceable QB.   Hank is talented and confident.   I like WW a lot and he has the potential to be the QB of the future!

Our RB room is loaded.  Not much separating 1-3.  Skill sets are just a little different.   Battie can also get the job done.  And Sean is a bruiser that has a role.   
I like WR much better.  As CHF said, we’re a different team with CC!   I think Perry and Malcolm will be ready to contribute by the time we host Okie.  I like the additions of Lewis and SJ5.   Smart players and good locker room guys!   The chemistry between SJ5 and PT might be a factor.  CHF was hoping it could be.   
TE has experience and depth.   I’m looking for Fairweather to have a big year.  
This is the best OL we’ve had in a good while.   We have skill and depth.

All said, I think our offense will be anywhere from decent to surprisingly good.

DL has some talented youngins.   Unfortunately, DL isn’t a place you expect youngins to have a lot of success.   As @Zeek stated.  This is currently the biggest weakness on the roster.  We need a couple of transfers post Spring to help us here.   
I like LB.  Experienced starters and very talented young guys.  I was thinking Barber was a MLB.  I would love to see him and Riddick on the field together some!

We’ve got a lot of talent and depth at CB.  We need some young talented Safeties to step up.  The potential is there.  

IF we get help in the IDL and/or the current guys play above projections, I think this can be a 8-9 win team regular season.   That would be plenty for a proof of concept year and allow us to build for the next couple of years.   We’re set up to have a good recruiting year and season in 2025 with a ? because of first year starter at QB.   

• Like 2

Sounds like Cam Coleman is as expected.

• Like 1

Can also takes a lot of expectations away from the receivers that were here last year. When he walks on the field, Brown, Fair, Moore, and Burton , whatever combination, will be better, and feel less pressure. Not to mention the best defender of the opponent is not on them. If Lewis and Cain show out, we just need someone to throw it somewhere close. Then we can pound people with the run, til they bring everyone up to stop it. Rinse, repeat. 

Let's hope this happens. 

• Like 1

Thx Zeek. We have GOT to get a sports management program set up.

• Like 2

The biggest is going to be the DL, there’s talent but there’s no depth and it’s a lot of young guys. This is going to be another rough season, Freeze should probably just play a lot of the young guys this year and just throw them in the deep end and see which ones swim 

Also I hope HB really pushes for that QB1 spot, make that QB room as competitive as possible 

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 1

Good post. Thanks. 

If that depth chart proves out post-Spring, who do you expect to transfer?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Can also takes a lot of expectations away from the receivers that were here last year. When he walks on the field, Brown, Fair, Moore, and Burton , whatever combination, will be better, and feel less pressure. Not to mention the best defender of the opponent is not on them. If Lewis and Cain show out, we just need someone to throw it somewhere close. Then we can pound people with the run, til they bring everyone up to stop it. Rinse, repeat. 

Let's hope this happens. 

Right, there is a reason position groups are typically judged holistically. All ships rise.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Good post. Thanks. 

If that depth chart proves out post-Spring, who do you expect to transfer?

I think Holden Geriner, is probably a wide receiver (maybe a Koy Moore), and other than that maybe a Battie? Auburn has had pretty good luck not losing players we don't want to lose post-spring.

Hope we can pick up some DL talent/depth in the next portal series...DL is so critical to today's game and we saw what happens last year when you can't pressure the QB enough.

• Like 3

Thanks, Zeek - great points. May sound cynical but other than center, I doubt the "better" OL schtick, it's another mediocre patchwork of promising talent and underachieving transfer veterans. QB discussion of course should include perpetual oline mediocrity and our crazy OC turnover. Like most QBs, Thorne when healthy thrived with a great MSU O line. Sad abt Geriner but you're prob right. 

Many individual bright spot guys on this team who will play on Sundays.

37 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Thanks, Zeek - great points. May sound cynical but other than center, I doubt the "better" OL schtick, it's another mediocre patchwork of promising talent and underachieving transfer veterans. QB discussion of course should include perpetual oline mediocrity and our crazy OC turnover. Like most QBs, Thorne when healthy thrived with a great MSU O line. Sad abt Geriner but you're prob right. 

Many individual bright spot guys on this team who will play on Sundays.

I am a big believer in Jeremiah Wright when healthy at the guard position. Miller at Right Tackle I am a little concerned about. 

The early reviews at left tackle have been positive.

• Like 1

I don't see any stats/highlights/skillsets/scholarship/NIL offers that make the RB room any more than average. We need a DL to show them how average they are.

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

I don't see any stats/highlights/skillsets/scholarship/NIL offers that make the RB room any more than average. We need a DL to show them how average they are.

I get your point, but I think it’s a good mix overall. Hunter has the experience and I like what I’ve seen from Alston and Cobb (in that order) in limited opportunities. Maybe not an elite group, but above average. 

The problem for years has been zero downfield passing threat. Or really no passing threat at all. Never much room for the RBs. 

I like our RBs, but I think we'd all be shocked to see tape of them, followed by tape of Tre Mason and Kerryon Johnson.

We'd see that our RBs are closer to average than we might think.  But still, they are above average and would certainly benefit from a balanced attack, which we haven't had for a long time.

• Like 1

Seeing that Burton has made a bit of a splash in camp, but that it’s being kind of overlooked by the flashy play of Coleman. I’d have him second or third on the depth chart. 

Have a winning season. Is that too much to ask?? 

could be the biggest (Size) Oline AU has seen in a while. 

I couldn’t be more worried about QB. 

• Like 6

The best news about the O line is the amount of them we have and are recruiting every year. Especially at tackle. It's been beaten to death , but HF and staff have really prioritized the lines on both sides. D line will be the priority in the portal, but we've got some good young ones for depth.

4 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Have to agree with you. JH is proven, but as good as Alston and Cobb have looked in limited time, I’m far from convinced either are built for more than 10-12 carries a game in this league. To me,  just as last year, I am already hearing HF being negative about PT. He brought him to AU, didn’t  go after another, even partially proven QB in the portal, but still, unless it’s all smoke and mirrors, continues to be using and treating PT as more of an excuse for failure, instead of building him up any. I mean damn, the kid played QB in the second best conference in the land and put up decent numbers. My point is, I want HF to put up or shut his damn mouth, because he’s proven nothing in the SEC. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Have a winning season. Is that too much to ask?? 

could be the biggest (Size) Oline AU has seen in a while. 

I couldn’t be more worried about QB. 

For me it’s almost paradoxical. Not pleased with QBs and hate how at least in one aspect we have harsher academic standards than almost everyone else in the conference leading to us being handicapped with the portal—but also very excited about literally everything else on offense.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AUwent said:

For me it’s almost paradoxical. Not pleased with QBs and hate how at least in one aspect we have harsher academic standards than almost everyone else in the conference leading to us being handicapped with the portal—but also very excited about literally everything else on offense.

So I don’t know either way, so take me to school. Is admittance the reason we are having issues getting players? This is new to me. 

2 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

So I don’t know either way, so take me to school. Is admittance the reason we are having issues getting players? This is new to me. 

We don’t offer sports management. Correct me if I’m wrong, but everyone else in the league besides Vandy does. Regardless, it kept us from getting both Grayson McCall and Kaidon Salter.

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We don’t offer sports management. Correct me if I’m wrong, but everyone else in the league besides Vandy does. Regardless, it kept us from getting both Grayson McCall and Kaidon Salter.

Guys what is Sports Management? Like agent classes? 

So if all our RBs transfered, would they go to DIII? DII? Power 5 schools? I actually think a few, maybe one or two, SEC teams , might take a couple or three of our RBs. My uat buddy would love to have JH , Cobb, or Alston. But he's probably not as knowledgeable as you guys.