Four Auburn players arrested

TitanTiger

A problem is that people love to tell others what they should be doing without walking in that person shoes. Then when athletes make mistakes it seems there is some jealousy involved. Athletes don't owe anybody anything.

Yea they do... they owe their teammates everything. That's what being on a team is all about, being there for each other and not doing anything to hurt the team.

And they will have to answer to their team but as far as the average fan getting super mad and judging them no, they don't owe the average fan anything. Especially the ones that want to say this is what's wrong with society and all of that.

You're right, they don't owe any of us anything. Football is just a game for us. Win or lose, life goes on. For their coaches and teammates, it's more than a game, it either is or is potentially a livelihood, and while not mad, I am VERY disappointed for those who's lives are now that much harder because they have to deal with just one more thing that they had no control over.

And I stand by my belief that people who put their personal pleasure ahead of the greater good, no matter how many people are doing it, are a huge part of what is breaking our society. Take a trip to South Africa sometime... or Japan... and see how a society that is centered around respecting others functions. It's a real eye opener.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In college, especially for highly regarded football players, these consequences are virtually meaningless to them, individually, (i.e. sit out half a football game)

Actually, you've got that backwards. You know what would have happened to me- random Joe College Student- if I'd gotten a misdemeanor possession charge? I probably would've had some money problems and my parents would've been really mad at me. I wouldn't have had coaches to deal with. I wouldn't have had my name run through the mud in the media. I wouldn't have had anonymous Internetizens casting all kinds of aspersions and questioning my character. I wouldn't have had to put up with nearly as much ridiculous crap as these kids will.

Plenty to disagree about but that one stuck out for me since it's a common refrain that gets batted around and never questioned.

You also likely didn't crave the limelight with all the recruiting pub, have a hat ceremony and tons of your family and friends, and those same "internetizens" singing your praise enroute to a scholarship to a major D1 school and your way paved for a multi-million dollar contract in the bigs if you just put in the work and kept your nose clean.

To each his own, but if you are gonna live by the public eye and reap its rewards, then ya oughtta have to accept the good with the bad when it comes to your own actions.

Let's see here. You think that:

-All these kids had a big hat ceremony

-They all instigated said hat ceremony themselves (because they all crave the limelight)

-Will be in the NFL if they just work hard and keep their noses clean

Is that right? Do you know the chances of even a 5* kid making it into the NFL?

Do sports fans not accept any of the blame for "singing their praise"? Do the coaches, teachers and parents who coddled them all the way through high school not accept any blame for how the kid turned out? Do the college coaches who literally beg these kids to come to their school- and then get paid upwards of $5 million a year by a program pulling in upwards of $70 or $80 million a year- maybe not contribute to a kid not fully buying the notion that it's the school who's doing him a favor? Did the kids create the limelight, or did you, I and the dozens of reporters who showed up at the grand hat ceremonies that they orchestrated themselves kinda beg them to step into it?

We're way off track, but you pointed us in this direction. It's awesome how people choose to bitch and moan about kids on the internet and then claim that it's just part of the package because a kid accepted an opportunity that they wish they had gotten.

Hilarious. It's all our fault.

You knowingly and willingly break the rules that are CLEARLY spelled out for you all through the process, and you get what you deserve. It's that simple. We didn't buy the product for them and make their decisions for them. Why do they get to do what they want with blatant disregard and others have to toe the line? I love how some people think everyone on the internet created these players and are apparently leading them all around like mindless puppets. There are just as many people in their lives, parents, coaches, loved ones, mentors, etc....that are giving them good advice on what to and what not to do as there are bad influences. They are the ones making the choices. At some point poor decisions have to meet consequences.

No, not all 5* players make into the NFL. Of course not. Few do. Fewer if they don't put in the work, or if they continue to make their own rules.

To think these players should be treated with kid gloves because the fan bases, or reporters lofted them up is ridiculous.

Go back and read the article again. They were stopped at 8:30 on a Saturday night somewhere near the corner of Gay and E Samford, roughly half a block from Amsterdam Cafe. Now, it's been a hot minute since I graduated from Auburn but I quite honestly can't even conceive of a reason that someone would be stopped at that time of night in that part of town, let alone searched thoroughly enough to discover weed. Unless they were walking down the street blazing away, I'd really like to know why the heck they were even stopped in the first place.

Why? They had illegal drugs. Period. Let's not blame cops which is where your post is headed. SMDH.

The why is a very pertinent question on the difference between a free state and totalitarian state. Now those are extremes yes, but logical extremes. Stop and frisk is illegal, profiling is illegal. In order to be stopped, a cop must witness an illegal act or have probable cause that one is occurring to stop someone. A lot of police officers use smell as probable cause for searching for weed. It's a well known scent in the mind of juries and it cannot be confirmed by any form of later analysis, so it can't be refuted. But even still, smell is only probably cause for a search. To be pulled over the cop must have witnessed them performing an illegal act, and if they weren't (which if they were they should've been given a ticket for it, in this case it looks like they were not) the entire stop is illegal, negating the search and seizure.

^^^ Cases get thrown out because of what you've explained.

Terry v. Ohio said stop and frisk was not illegal if there is reasonable suspicion.

Go back and read the article again. They were stopped at 8:30 on a Saturday night somewhere near the corner of Gay and E Samford, roughly half a block from Amsterdam Cafe. Now, it's been a hot minute since I graduated from Auburn but I quite honestly can't even conceive of a reason that someone would be stopped at that time of night in that part of town, let alone searched thoroughly enough to discover weed. Unless they were walking down the street blazing away, I'd really like to know why the heck they were even stopped in the first place.

The Auburn Police are an active bunch. Saw a middle aged white woman driving a nice SUV today between 8 and 9 AM on Opelika road near Dean. They don't discriminate, they just stop a lot of folks.

Good to know it's equal opportunity on just stopping folks for no reason.

I was joe average white frat guy at Auburn ... i stopped on a street - no traffic anywhere around - and backed 20' on the street into a parking lot. Police gave me a ticket for "illegal backing". I want to know if anyone has ever in the history of tickets, gotten that one before or since.

The Auburn Police are an active bunch. Saw a middle aged white woman driving a nice SUV today between 8 and 9 AM on Opelika road near Dean. They don't discriminate, they just stop a lot of folks.

Good to know it's equal opportunity on just stopping folks for no reason.

I was joe average white frat guy at Auburn ... i stopped on a street - no traffic anywhere around - and backed 20' on the street into a parking lot. Police gave me a ticket for "illegal backing". I want to know if anyone has ever in the history of tickets, gotten that one before or since.

Not where I live....here you can do a 180 degree U turn right in the middle of the street to park on the other side and nobody seems to care. However they have now prohibited the practice of parking in the middle of the street in front of the post office while you run in to put a letter in the box. Turning into a danged police state I'm telling you.

A problem is that people love to tell others what they should be doing without walking in that person shoes. Then when athletes make mistakes it seems there is some jealousy involved. Athletes don't owe anybody anything.

Yea they do... they owe their teammates everything. That's what being on a team is all about, being there for each other and not doing anything to hurt the team.

And they will have to answer to their team but as far as the average fan getting super mad and judging them no, they don't owe the average fan anything. Especially the ones that want to say this is what's wrong with society and all of that.

You're right, they don't owe any of us anything. Football is just a game for us. Win or lose, life goes on. For their coaches and teammates, it's more than a game, it either is or is potentially a livelihood, and while not mad, I am VERY disappointed for those who's lives are now that much harder because they have to deal with just one more thing that they had no control over.

And I stand by my belief that people who put their personal pleasure ahead of the greater good, no matter how many people are doing it, are a huge part of what is breaking our society. Take a trip to South Africa sometime... or Japan... and see how a society that is centered around respecting others functions. It's a real eye opener.

Yeah thing about it is you're probably more disappointed than the team...And things line forgiveness, and coming together, and picking up your team mate is going on that shows what's right with society as well that you are just glossing over because you're so disappointed in them...

Well now that we have beat this subject to death I'm hoping most of you will drop Laremy Tunsil a note to support his actions....let him know that it's a bad law in a backward state and he doesn't owe anyone anything and if he wants to use the weed he should go ahead because everyone else does it too.

After all, this is not a big deal these days and nobody really cares .....a minor wrist slap is all that it deserves.....nobody is going to hold it against him......well except those dozen NFL teams who jumped over him in the draft....but so what? ...just a bunch of old guys who don't understand the modern world.

Interesting comment on Sirus this AM from Neuhesal (SP) about this. He noted that last week Tunsil was on TV with his mask,etc, got hammered in the draft over it which cost him about $5million give or take.....and three days later 4 AU kids get caught with weed.His comments: Didn't anyone learn anything? And.....the NCAA and most schools are trying to hold a dam back and have no chance of stopping the use of pot in their schools or athletic programs...Two pretty good observations.......(1) nobody seems to learn from the mistakes of others and many kids don't even learn from their own mistakes.And (2) no matter what the schools are doing, they are not going to be able to stop it...too pervasive already and the athletes are just a reflection of students these days. Some schools are trying to prevent it with penalties and many schools are just ignoring it.So no matter how some people feel about the issue, and no matter what the law says.....preventing the recreational use of pot is a lost battle. JMO
It'll stop if they want it to stop... right now the penalty isn't high enough to stop anything. 1/2 a game? wouldn't have stopped me. If the NCAA and or schools started making a kid sit out a year, then it would stop. However, I don't think anyone would agree that the penalty should be that stiff, which is why it won't stop ;)/>
Isn't failing an NCAA administered drug test a calendar year suspension? Or does it depend on the substance they tested positive for?
The penalty for a failed NCAA test for pot is 50 percent of a season... but unless things have changed, the NCAA notifies the school before random testing and most kids have plenty of time to "be clean" prior to the test. From what I've been reading here, most are saying Gus/Auburn will give 1/2 game or less is what they are expecting to be given in this case... I just don't see where that does anything to stop it from continuing, but that may not be what they are looking to do.

Well now that we have beat this subject to death I'm hoping most of you will drop Laremy Tunsil a note to support his actions....let him know that it's a bad law in a backward state and he doesn't owe anyone anything and if he wants to use the weed he should go ahead because everyone else does it too.

After all, this is not a big deal these days and nobody really cares .....a minor wrist slap is all that it deserves.....nobody is going to hold it against him......well except those dozen NFL teams who jumped over him in the draft....but so what? ...just a bunch of old guys who don't understand the modern world.

I think most people were more intrigued by the getting paid by a coach thing than a video of him smoking weed before the draft.

That's just me anyway. He still got drafted in the first round, although it was a few slots later.

In college, especially for highly regarded football players, these consequences are virtually meaningless to them, individually, (i.e. sit out half a football game)

Actually, you've got that backwards. You know what would have happened to me- random Joe College Student- if I'd gotten a misdemeanor possession charge? I probably would've had some money problems and my parents would've been really mad at me. I wouldn't have had coaches to deal with. I wouldn't have had my name run through the mud in the media. I wouldn't have had anonymous Internetizens casting all kinds of aspersions and questioning my character. I wouldn't have had to put up with nearly as much ridiculous crap as these kids will.

Plenty to disagree about but that one stuck out for me since it's a common refrain that gets batted around and never questioned.

You also likely didn't crave the limelight with all the recruiting pub, have a hat ceremony and tons of your family and friends, and those same "internetizens" singing your praise enroute to a scholarship to a major D1 school and your way paved for a multi-million dollar contract in the bigs if you just put in the work and kept your nose clean.

To each his own, but if you are gonna live by the public eye and reap its rewards, then ya oughtta have to accept the good with the bad when it comes to your own actions.

Let's see here. You think that:

-All these kids had a big hat ceremony

-They all instigated said hat ceremony themselves (because they all crave the limelight)

-Will be in the NFL if they just work hard and keep their noses clean

Is that right? Do you know the chances of even a 5* kid making it into the NFL?

Do sports fans not accept any of the blame for "singing their praise"? Do the coaches, teachers and parents who coddled them all the way through high school not accept any blame for how the kid turned out? Do the college coaches who literally beg these kids to come to their school- and then get paid upwards of $5 million a year by a program pulling in upwards of $70 or $80 million a year- maybe not contribute to a kid not fully buying the notion that it's the school who's doing him a favor? Did the kids create the limelight, or did you, I and the dozens of reporters who showed up at the grand hat ceremonies that they orchestrated themselves kinda beg them to step into it?

We're way off track, but you pointed us in this direction. It's awesome how people choose to bitch and moan about kids on the internet and then claim that it's just part of the package because a kid accepted an opportunity that they wish they had gotten.

Hilarious. It's all our fault.

You knowingly and willingly break the rules that are CLEARLY spelled out for you all through the process, and you get what you deserve. It's that simple. We didn't buy the product for them and make their decisions for them. Why do they get to do what they want with blatant disregard and others have to toe the line? I love how some people think everyone on the internet created these players and are apparently leading them all around like mindless puppets. There are just as many people in their lives, parents, coaches, loved ones, mentors, etc....that are giving them good advice on what to and what not to do as there are bad influences. They are the ones making the choices. At some point poor decisions have to meet consequences.

No, not all 5* players make into the NFL. Of course not. Few do. Fewer if they don't put in the work, or if they continue to make their own rules.

To think these players should be treated with kid gloves because the fan bases, or reporters lofted them up is ridiculous.

Very, very well stated. We've got guys in foreign lands fighting and dying for nothing much more than taking care of their brothers in arms and a sense of duty to country.

Then we've got this bunch of coddled idiots who can't toe the line and play by the rules. And they embarrass and demean our university in the process. I wish Gus would dismiss them permanently and say publically that if our players can't represent our university well, they're done. Period. And beyond the embarrassment, they can't even win an SEC home game!

I'm sick of it.

...and he had a freaking video of himself smoking through a gas mask on his draft night. 64, if you really think that's apples to apples, then yes, you're out of touch. Btw, the top 2 teams in the draft were taking QBs all along and not all of the other 10 wanted a tackle, either. So no, 12 teams didn't pass on him.

The real takeaway is that you can have a video of yourself smoking pot in a gas mask surface on your draft night and a team in the top half of the first round will still pay you a lot of money to play football.

Also, why would any of us reach out to support Tunsil? All his teammates that he doesn't care about and let down probably already did (while taking a break from getting high and only caring about themselves).

...and he had a freaking video of himself smoking through a gas mask on his draft night. 64, if you really think that's apples to apples, then yes, you're out of touch. Btw, the top 2 teams in the draft were taking QBs all along and not all of the other 10 wanted a tackle, either. So no, 12 teams didn't pass on him.

The real takeaway is that you can have a video of yourself smoking pot in a gas mask surface on your draft night and a team in the top half of the first round will still pay you a lot of money to play football.

Also, why would any of us reach out to support Tunsil? All his teammates that he doesn't care about and let down probably already did (while taking a break from getting high and only caring about themselves).

He was being completely sarcastic about us reaching out to him.

He was being completely sarcastic about us reaching out to him.

Ya think?

Were any of the four driving?

Drugged Driving in Colorado

Also in 2013, there were 103 fatalities involving a drugged driver, and 36 of the 288 drivers tested for drugs had cannabis only in their system. Click here for more drugged driving statistics.

Legalization of Marijuana and Impaired Driving

Marijuana affects reaction time, short-term memory, hand-eye coordination, concentration and perception of time and distance. Getting high and getting behind the wheel of a car will get you arrested for a DUI – this law hasn’t changed with the legalization of marijuana in January 2014.

Police report said they were all sober

As a recovered doper with a degree in Addiction Counseling, I find this incident disheartening. These kids have been given a great chance for a degree and a possible lucrative post college career (quite likely a short one because of injuries) but they don't have enough gratitude for the chance and respect for the institution to dedicate themselves to their end of the bargain. They disrespected the coach, their teammates who aren't potheads and the fan base.

If I was an NFL scout, I'd note that these are kids who aren't motivated enough to dedicate their time to improving their game. Cowart, a five star recruit showed next to nothing last year. Is it because he was too busy getting high?

Marijuana today has much higher THC content than in the past with possible links to later psychotic incidents. Indisputably, heavy weed smoking is amotivational. These are kids in my opinion who should be at the bottom of the depth chart and have to earn playing time.

I majored in Psychology and worked with an addiction specialist practice for many years. I agree with you 100%.

I am just thankful that the majority of those posting on this board do not represent Auburn University or the athletic department in any capacity.

That was sarcasm...Just noting that the innocent fun cost him over 5 million and his team is sending him for drug evaluation before they sign him. Several folks spent a good part of the day minimizing the weed issue. It might be a small deal to a lot of our posters but in fact it is a pretty big deal to many people in the NFL management.

Yes, a few teams were caught by surprise and didn't have time to ask any questions before they were literally put on the clock. Had the video come out a few weeks earlier, it likely wouldn't have affected his draft position.

Again, if you think "smoking pot" = "letting someone video you smoking pot in a gas mask and then said video being tweeted from your account on draft night", then weed probably does seem dumb to you because you're on something much stronger.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that the NCAA doesn't test for Mary Jane. They are mostly interested in PEDs. The schools can test for it and the punishment is entirely up to them. I doubt the NCAA fells like you get and unfair advantage if you are smoking weed. As for the team I can bet you not one single player is mad at any of the four. If anything they will all come to their aid and defense. It's called being teammates. Coaches are probably ticked, not because they smoked weed but because the episode caused them to take time away from their other priorities to answer dumb reporters and fans questions about this being some major demoralizing affair. Chill folks it will be fall practice soon. WDE

Archived