Toomer's Oaks on Fire

BigWhiskey91

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, BeatBama1345162851 said:

Kudos to this young lady for running him down.  Come on guys?...

Was thinking the same thing. Why didnt some guys take him down and hold him until authorities arrived? He was easily outnumbered. Apparently the girl had more balls than every guy in that video.

6 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Was thinking the same thing. Why didnt some guys take him down and hold him until authorities arrived? He was easily outnumbered. Apparently the girl had more balls than every guy in that video.

Probably didn't want to get involved, especially if they have no idea if he was the guy or not. It's not like they had the benefit of the video cam feed instantly to know for certain he was the guy. Props to her though, for stayin on him and chasing him down. 

5 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Quick fires don't do much actual damage to trees. Ever seen a controlled burn to clear out scrub and brush in a hardwood or pinewood forest? Basically, thermal mass is the savior, along with all the water that's stored in the trunk. The outside of the tree may be scorched and the foliage may be burned away but the tree will come back. The Toomer's Oaks may not be huge but they are also not saplings. A quick fire just does not have the time of energy to do much damage beyond the "skin" of the tree.

It is my understanding that pines are built for it. I've seen fire-scarred oaks however, that take up to a decade or so for new bark to scab over the scar. Some use pruning paint to protect the exposed heartwood from bug invasion during the healing process.

7 hours ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

What the hell is wrong with that guy?! Did he ever get caught? Angry LSU fan?? And kudos to the girl ,who apparently was the only one, who had the balls to chase the culprit down! So sad to see haters out there trying to screw up our traditions. WDE!

I know you guys don't like bama fans here but seriously, this was a stupid thing to do. I'll be honest, I have no idea why the Auburn fanbase does this but it is your tradition and fine with me. Has this ever happened before with fire? TP has no problem burning.

I'm sorry but I'd go to jail if I witnessed him doing thisbor even if I found him after the fact. Dude deserves to have his teeth on the curb and a heel in the back of the head.

Do we have to start some Tiger Sentinals program where we get fans to sit in an outward facing circle to protect the trees up to 24 hours after a game?

1 hour ago, tigerchris said:

I just watched the security cameras.  The guy should be charged with an act of terrorism.  He put all those people's lives at risk and knew exactly what he was doing.

To that lady chasing and trying to hold him as he made a run for it and the guy trying to put out the fire as soon as he saw it, I give you a BIG War Eagle!.

What I would like to know is where are all the dudes standing around while the brave young lady was pursuing him?? She was in danger as well. The PD needs to punish this guy to the fullest extent of the law. 

Sadly it won't be the last time. Too many ignorant O2 wasters out there these days. 

I suggested that two fire retardant replicas of the original trees might have been a good idea up there because of society these days.....might be a good time to look at that if the tree dies.

7 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

I hope so.  From what I understand this is not the first time the Toomer oaks have been set on fire.  It has happened several times over the years.  The other oaks were able to survive the fires until their demise at the hands of bummer fan Updyke. I'm not sure how this can be prevented other than to have police stand around it.  However, police can't stand there all night.  It is sad that there are people in the world that are either hateful or stupid or both and would do such a thing. 

Auburn can afford guards on game days.

I do know a little something about trees and fire so..... A controlled or prescribed burn is often done in pine forests, but never in hardwood forests. Oaks are hardwoods and are always damaged by fire, sometimes killed and sometimes only scarred  near the ground by a smaller fire but there is always damage. Looking at the pictures, I'd guess that the tree is seriously damaged and will probably die.

That being said, this is AUBURN! Burn the trees, poison the trees, we'll plant more. To the Auburn haters of the world, to hell with you.

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Apparently fans ran him down.from what I've heard..cops ended up getting him.

You know this has happened before..bunch of drunk fans getting together down there..

They probably shouldn't let people roll for the rest of the year to teach everyone a lesson.

1 hour ago, E'Town4Bama said:

I know you guys don't like bama fans here but seriously, this was a stupid thing to do. I'll be honest, I have no idea why the Auburn fanbase does this but it is your tradition and fine with me. Has this ever happened before with fire? TP has no problem burning.

What you've never rolled trees? Give me a break

2 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

We could seriously care less if you understand why we do it or if you understand anything else about Auburn but thanks...

2 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Yes, it is our tradition and unlike your RTR rally cry, the tradition was started by actually beating the #2 out of Bama in '72.  Your RTR tradition was coming back to TIE Auburn in '07.  Keep celebrating your moral victory.

Archived