Other than Bo Jackson, who is AU's No. 1 RB?

StatTiger

For the one season, Tre was unstoppable.  The entire stadium knew Tre was getting the ball that last drive vs FSU and he took it straight to the house.  Dude was ridiculous.

I had more faith in Ronnie than Cadillac, though both were beasts.

Not even Ronnie or Cadillac just flat took over games though in my opinion.  Bo did.  Tre did.  Pettway did last year also.  If he can do it for a full season, we could have a special run...

• Like 3

Only knock on Fullwood was that he was prone to fumble but was quick as a cat. Davis would have gotten a lot more yards if Bowden would have used him properly. We would have beat Penn State but Tiny Terry wanted to throw.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Only knock on Fullwood was that he was prone to fumble but was quick as a cat. Davis would have gotten a lot more yards if Bowden would have used him properly. We would have beat Penn State but Tiny Terry wanted to throw.

In a Hurricane to boot

2 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Your memory and mine differ. Davis was running all over Penn State, apparently headed for a 250 yard outing. Then Davis got a concussion and had to come out for the rest of the game. Unless you think Bowden hit him with a hammer after he got hit on the field, it's pretty hard to blame the coach for that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Your memory and mine differ. Davis was running all over Penn State, apparently headed for a 250 yard outing. Then Davis got a concussion and had to come out for the rest of the game. Unless you think Bowden hit him with a hammer after he got hit on the field, it's pretty hard to blame the coach for that one.

Your memory is spot on. I believe he received the concussion on his long run to the 2yd line. He hit his head on the turf and did not take another snap. At least that is how I remembered his concussion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Really? I'll defer to you on any technical scores and he was no Gayle Sayers in the running looks department, but I loved his low center of gravity and leg drive. Not a home run guy but could regularly turn 2 into 10. (Just like Golf's PBRs.)

Dyer could hit the corner on a buck sweep and be gone. Don't understand why people think he didn't have speed or a good "running style." 

FULLWOOD! But I loved to watch Kenny Irons and James Bostic's styles of running with what seemed like pure anger and determination. I also would have loved to have seen what Brooks and Cribbs could have done with a better team around them. Tre Mason is probably the most underrated of our great backs.

Honestly, too many to narrow it down to just 5, IMO. We have had some absolutely outstanding RB's wear our uniform over the years. 

*we took a brief hiatus during the Tater Tot years

• Like 2

He may not have been the best, but my favorite was James Brooks. Most of my childhood was spent mired in the losing streak to Bama and some less than stellar Aubirn teams. But at least we had Brooks and Cribbs. Brooks was both electric and powerful. And no one wore a tear away mesh jersey better. ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, muxi87 said:

For the one season, Tre was unstoppable.  The entire stadium knew Tre was getting the ball that last drive vs FSU and he took it straight to the house.  Dude was ridiculous.

Not even Ronnie or Cadillac just flat took over games though in my opinion.  Bo did.  Tre did.  Pettway did last year also.  If he can do it for a full season, we could have a special run...

Cadillac took over many games. 

Fullwood, then Brooks.  They were both a threat to go the distance every time they got the ball.

12 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

Dyer could hit the corner on a buck sweep and be gone. Don't understand why people think he didn't have speed or a good "running style." 

May be just me, but Dyer is the only major college starting running back that I ever saw consistently run with a limp.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, muxi87 said:

Tre and Ronnie were similar. Tre certainly repeated Ronnie's famous TD against Tennessee several times.

i have watched all of the names mentioned...and if it was not for playing behind Bo, and playing in the wishbone, Fullwood would have had close or better numbers than Bo.  look at the numbers. He had so so fewer carries than Bo, but his avg was unbelievable.  Give him as many carries as Bo and he may surpass his totals. The guy could cut or let it loose. He would have been great in the I formation. 

Now we know he didnt have the power or the 100 yd speed of Bo. But he was elusive, and pretty powerful and could get past the LOS faster than anyone I saw live at AU...

For pure heart in a smaller body..give me Tre or Cadillac...

Edited by steeleagle

For me it was one freak of nature named Bo Jackson, his combo of speed, power and just mental toughness may never be seen again and then and lot of great running backs that are too good to single out just a few.We have really been blessed to have so many great backs at AU.

What a great list of amazing running backs.  After Bo; I liked James Brooks for sheer will power....I don't guess he ever weighed more than 170 soaking wet; so quick, so fast, versatile (runner, returner and receiver) and he would lower his shoulder and just flat out run thru tacklers...and a long NFL career after Auburn to boot.  What a hoot to watch in the same backfield with Cribbs.  He's probably my favorite in a list of other GREATS.    

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

2nd best behind Bo? Tucker Fredrickson.

Unfortunately did not get to see Tucker play as he pre-dated me (but I did name one of my dogs after him:)). Saw all the others mentioned play and if any were better than Fullwood I don't know who it was; loved Brooks too.

Add: Fredrickson also got a shout out in a great movie, "Brian's Song".

Edited by fredst

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

Unfortunately did not get to see Tucker play as he pre-dated me (but I did name one of my dogs after him:)). Saw all the others mentioned play and if any were better than Fullwood I don't know who it was; loved Brooks too.

Add: Fredrickson also got a shout out in a great movie, "Brian's Song".

Yes he was as well as Auburn

During Brian’s high school career, the football star in his area was future New York Giants running back Tucker Frederickson, who went to South Broward High School and later played for Auburn. The boys from Central and South Broward were very competitive. Brian's girlfriend, Joy Murrath, would often tease him about South Broward’s superiority, which would infuriate Brian. But that rivalry had its limits. Years later, during Brian's time in the hospital in New York, Frederickson would spend a lot of time visiting him, bringing along his color TV for Brian to use.

15 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

FULLWOOD! But I loved to watch Kenny Irons and James Bostic's styles of running with what seemed like pure anger and determination. I also would have loved to have seen what Brooks and Cribbs could have done with a better team around them. Tre Mason is probably the most underrated of our great backs.

Brooks & Cribbs (not to mention William Andrews) on a Dye, Tubbs, Chizik/Malzahn team?  ...this might be a different conversation.

• Like 2

To hard. What defines best RB? Size, speed, durability, rushing yards, total yards, TD's, style of play? I think if you talk about best RB, then you also have factor in other intangibles they brought to the team. Was the offense built around them? What did other defenses do against Auburn, specifically, was it their goal to stop running back X and force other offensive players to step up. Did Auburn wins games due to RB X carrying the team on his back?  So on type stuff. All the above you can say yes with Bo (and Cam).  As for the other names listed so far, not so much. 

Edited by AlaskanFAN