Stidham, Willis work with qb coaches

aubiefifty

seccountry.com

Two Auburn QBs spend Memorial Day weekend training with the stars

Justin Ferguson Auburn Beat Reporter

Auburn football’s two newest quarterbacks took full advantage of Gus Malzahn’s relaxed rules on outside training this Memorial Day weekend.

Jarrett Stidham and Malik Willis each spent some time this weekend working on their game with some of the best quarterbacks in the country, both past and present.

Stidham, who is expected to start for the Tigers in 2017 after transferring from junior college by way of Baylor, was part of Jordan Palmer’s QB Summit in southern California.

MORE: SI tabs Auburn QB Jarrett Stidham a Heisman dark-horse candidate

Stidham snapped a picture with two of the top quarterbacks in college football — Southern Cal’s Sam Darnold and Wyoming’s Josh Allen — on Sunday. Both Darnold and Allen are first-round prospects for the 2018 NFL Draft, and Stidham could end up right there with them next spring.

Auburn football-Jarrett Stidham-Malik Willis-Auburn Tigers-Sam Darnold-Josh Allen-Michael Vick-Memorial Day
Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham (center) spent time training with Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen (left) and USC quarterback Sam Darnold (right) at the QB Summit this weekend. (Instagram)

As for Willis, the true freshman from Georgia went back to his home state to train with former NFL superstar Michael Vick.

Sean McEvoy, Willis’ personal quarterback coach, also was in attendance with Willis and Vick.

This isn’t the first time Vick has worked with an Auburn quarterback. Last spring, Vick trained with John Franklin III, who arrived on the Plains from junior college. Franklin is now a full-time wide receiver for Auburn as a senior.

Malzahn used to prevent his quarterbacks from seeking outside training during the offseason. However, he deferred the decision to new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey this offseason. The first-year assistant has opened the doors for his signal callers to practice away from the Plains.

“Those guys want to go work when they’re away from here,” Lindsey said this spring. “And really, they’re just working on fundamentals and trying to improve and get better. That’s something that, as time has gone on, that relationship has changed over time.”

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:
“Those guys want to go work when they’re away from here,” Lindsey said this spring. “And really, they’re just working on fundamentals and trying to improve and get better...”

Onward. 

Stidham needs to bulk up those other guy's make him look small.Wish Willis would find a better role model and passer to teach him.Well at least their doing something productive and trying to improve.

4 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Stidham needs to bulk up those other guy's make him look small.Wish Willis would find a better role model and passer to teach him.Well at least their doing something productive and trying to improve.

A proven QB tutor?

"This isn’t the first time Vick has worked with an Auburn quarterback. Last spring, Vick trained with John Franklin III, who arrived on the Plains from junior college. Franklin is now a full-time wide receiver for Auburn as a senior." [from the OP]

Stidham looks small next to Allen and Darnold because he is small compared to them.

Darnold - 6'4"; 225 lbs.
Allen - 6'5"; 220 lbs.
Stidham - 6'3"; 210 lbs.

Heck, I think Darnold is bigger than his listing, and frankly, I don't believe Stidham is really 6'3". He's never going to look like Darnold/Allen. I'm just hoping he can outplay them!

30 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

A proven QB tutor?

"This isn’t the first time Vick has worked with an Auburn quarterback. Last spring, Vick trained with John Franklin III, who arrived on the Plains from junior college. Franklin is now a full-time wide receiver for Auburn as a senior." [from the OP]

This. Michael Vick? Could be a dang good QB coach but I'm MEH on the idea. 

49 minutes ago, kd4au said:

A better role model? 

If you're a smaller framed, scrambling QB, who wishes to learn from other QB's that have played your style, why wouldn't you want Mike VIck? There was a time, before the dog fighting thing and guys like Cam Newton, when Mike Vick was considered a guy who changed the game. I can't think of very many QB's who would be better to work with guys like JF3 and Malik. 

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

A proven QB tutor?

He was not known for his great passing.Now he may be a good coach IDK,but you would think there are better ones out there.

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

A better role model? 

He was convicted of dog fighting wasn't he?

I don't like Vick as much as anyone else but as far as retired DT QBs, that's about as good as it gets. 

JF worked with him last offseason iirc. That's not saying much but I don't think we saw some terrible drop in character from him. 

Im sure Malik and JF know of Vick's wrongdoings. Malik wants to learn to be a better QB, he's not going to train with him to learn from Vick's crimes. 

I like seeing our QBs working with different coaches. A different set of eyes scruntinizing their play might help identify/fix some things our staff couldn't. I've got a greater appreciation for it after the years of it being banned for sure.

Vick isn't adopting any of these kids and isn't going to be their position coach. Also, he's got a list of things that he can tell them not to do or that he wishes he'd done more of. 

Edit: @Charhair said a lot of what I was thinking. 

52 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Here comes the social commentary about Michael Vick.

He paid the price for his stupidity. Let it go already. Yeesh.

Has nothing to do with anything I posted. Just haven't seen all the rave reviews about Vick's coaching ability. No one I know has. Just a very good player. Nothing more. 

I am surprised that Vick is becoming a well known QB coach.  Vick's greatest weapon was his blazing speed, which you can't coach. He could probably help someone utilize their speed at the QB position. As for anyone worried about Vick messing up MW's mechanics or whatever silliness, his personal QB coach was with them as well.  And it is apparent that he (or someone) has done a fantastic job with Malik over the last year or so.  

49 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Now if he had any useful insights into Dawg fighting...

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Did his time. Get over it.

Oh and good for both athletes, taking the initiative to get better on their own personal time. Some of you guys will never be satisfied.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Yeah 10 years ago. He's come a long way. Get over it bro. 

Vick was a NFL qb and criticizing for working with him.....nobody mentioned the other qb camp....hemust've been a world beater!

Archived