2016 3* S Marlon Character

ellitor

With signing day just 10 days away, I kinda thought we'd land at least 1 new commitment over the weekend.

You always think that, even the weekends when the recruits are all AU commits.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic news. He is a position of need depth for this year and starter in the not to distant future.

• 1 month later...

Q & A with Character

Marlon Character’s recruitment had a few twists and turns along the way before he ultimately signed with Auburn on Feb. 3.

It was a two-team race for the three-star safety, who was considering the Tigers and the South Carolina Gamecocks in the waning moments of his recruitment.

Character, who was originally committed to the Gamecocks, reflected on his relationship with defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson, why Georgia disappointed the Atlanta prospect and what rule changes he would make to recruiting today.

What school came in second? What could they have done better?

“South Carolina came in second. They could’ve recruited me a little bit harder.”

What was the biggest rumor about you that wasn’t true?

“There weren’t too many rumors. Probably some false information about height and weight. Maybe people thinking I was going to Georgia.”

Did you cut any media off?

“Yes, I did. When I wanted to clear my mind when things were coming down to the wire. I did.”

Which school disappointed you the most during your recruitment?

“I would say Georgia as far as recruiting me. I thought they’d come at me a little harder.”

Which college would you have considered if they offered you earlier in the process?

“I can say, if they offered me earlier, probably … I’m not sure.”

What was your biggest regret during the recruiting process?

Character: “My first commitment. I wasn’t 100 percent sure on it. I thought I was.”

Marlon Character, Sr. : “When he committed to South Carolina, on the ride home he said, ‘Dad, I want to commit.’ And I knew it was impulsive and I tried to make him wait. But he was hellbent on committing. I knew it was an impulse decision. It was only a verbal, so I allowed him to go ahead and do it. But I knew his mind would change eventually.”

Which coach that you didn’t sign with was the hardest to say no to?

“Coach (Travaris) Robinson. That was the only coach I had to say no to. Oh, and Coach (Torrian) Gray, from Virginia Tech. Coach Robinson, he recruited me until the day before signing day, and while he was at Auburn. He was pretty sure I was going to come play for him. (Robinson called Character’s father on signing day)

If you were in charge of the NCAA, what is the one rule you would change about recruiting?

“The dead period. I think coaches should always be able to talk to the recruits.”

Were there any bad traveling experiences?

“Probably my visit to Tennessee. It just wasn’t organized. It wasn’t organized at all.”

If you were in charge of the NCAA, what is the one rule you would change about recruiting?

“The dead period. I think coaches should always be able to talk to the recruits.”

Interesting.

the recruits can always call the coaches, even during dead periods, right?

Yes. Apparently Character wants coaches to call when they want.

One would think that Character would be in the minority on that issue. You would think that recruits, especially the ones being heavily recruited, enjoy time to breathe without being molested by college football coaches.

One would think that Character would be in the minority on that issue. You would think that recruits, especially the ones being heavily recruited, enjoy time to breathe without being molested by college football coaches.

Man, you and me both. Ew. But I'm a bit of an introvert (when I'm not bogging down this message board).

I'd say 90% of the 4 and 5 star recruits get tired of the calls/questions. Not just from the coaches but the recruitnicks from the schools who are recruiting them. It gets old I'm sure having to answer the same questions over and over and over again.

I'd say 90% of the 4 and 5 star recruits get tired of the calls/questions. Not just from the coaches but the recruitnicks from the schools who are recruiting them. It gets old I'm sure having to answer the same questions over and over and over again.

Yea... ask Cam...

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I wonder if we would ask him back since we are in such a need at DB.  Is he even allowed to come back by NCAA rules?

Not sure about rules, but I think his ship sailed when/how he left.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived