Offense Needs to Change

Zeek

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

If you are referring to WR screen and go deep then I hope Chip has more to offer and I know he does.  The routes we run and the passing game do not look like what Chip has done in the past.

This is what Chip is capable of.  2 backs with 1000 yards and the passing to go along with it.  Most fans thought we were going to see more changes.

Lindsey's Golden Eagle offense ranked among the best in the nation in 2015 in several offensive categories, including fifth in total touchdowns, seventh in total points, eighth in total passing yards and completions, and 12th in points per game and passing yards per game. The 2015 Golden Eagles tallied nearly 6,800 yards of total offense, including more than 4,200 passing yards and just under 2,500 rushing yards. The national leader with 102 explosive plays, they were just the second school in FBS history with a 4,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard receiver and two 1,000-yard rushers.

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Ya, but who was calling the plays really?

Was it Lindsey? or was it Monken, who had taken the S. Miss job after spending 2 years as the OC at Oklahoma State and then left to take the OC position at Tampa.

It was the shooter on the grassy knoll. :-\

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Damn, you people like to type a lot. 

A whole lot of nothing . Things would be a lot easier when people realize Gus is who he is. I am guilty of getting into this debate but I find it easier to just accept reality. You are getting a good coach , with the right personnel can possibly lead us to the promise land. Right personnel does not equate to top ten talent either.

6 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

It was the shooter on the grassy knoll. :-\

Oh, that question isn't allowed in this case? Half the thread is about who really was calling the plays.

Seriously, this thread has been done how many times in the past year alone?

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Speaking of the usual suspects great movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114814/

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." You never fully appreciate that line until you've had something similar happen to you. Lucky me, I've had it happen twice. Bummer! Obviously, I'm talking about the movie that produced the original lines.

• WarTiger changed the title to Offense Needs to Change
On 2/23/2018 at 12:39 PM, abw0004 said:

I will add my two cents just for the fun of it, although I have a feeling this thread will continue for at least another month as this is the dead period for new material.

Honestly no one really has an idea of exactly what is for sure happening of who really controls the offense.  People may guess, or think they know, but unless you are a coach you really have no idea.  We are all just a bunch of people typing words onto a forum that love Auburn.  So let's look at the only facts and statistics we do have:  

Gus this year tried to make it clear to the Auburn family he was not calling plays by flipping his headset up and staying 20 yards from the line of scrimmage when the offense was on the field.  He also had a note card instead of the traditional sheet.  People saying Chip was told to run certain plays or had a script is simply a guess.  You could be right, or you could be wrong.  But we just do not know.  Seeing our guys in game time is only a fraction of the effort put into a season.  It is like looking at an iceberg, only 10% of it is above the surface of the water.

This year, Auburn was one of the most balanced teams in the country.  One of four teams, to be exact, to average 225 yards per game in the air and on the ground.  This year, Auburn also set a record for the most average points per game in a season.

Now I know I am a sunshine pumper, and wear that badge proudly because it is just who I am, so you can take what I am about to say as you wish.  We have definitely gone through growing pains with Gus.  But Gus has been trending up every year, which is always good.  No plateau.  He wants us to succeed.  His biggest problem was his success in 2013 and trying to live up to that since.  If you remember in 2013, broadcasters were bragging on Gus saying he never sleeps, that he is always scheming to give his team a competitive advantage.  He knows where he needs to improve and even with the security in his new contract, he is looking for ways to improve them.

I think people on both sides of the spectrum can agree that Gus always fixes the big problem the previous season in the next season.  Every move he has made in the offseason we question at first, and then after we step back we say "Oh I get it now."  Remember when Steele was hired?  Or Burns?  Or T-Will?  Or Woodson?  All of those have panned out (TBD on Woodson although he is already making waves in recruiting).

Here is what I expect to see by Fall camp in improvements for us.  I expect for Kodi to continue to expand the route tree for the WR's.  I expect Chip to help Stidham improve in seeing the field under pressure.  I do not expect a drop-off in RB play with Horton at the helm.  I could see some growing pains with the OL, but I trust in Grimes to coach these guys up.  With all of this, I expect to see an improvement in our play.  The only thing I do not think we will see is more tight end uses, although I think I could be surprised that Shenker blows us away as I know he is a versatile TE that redshirted last year.

Just my two cents since this thread is most likely in it for the long haul...  :bananadance:

To be fair, and  this is something Gus said when he hired Chip and that means Chip agreed to it, Chip was going to be allowed to run Gus' offense not his.  Gus gave Chip "his" offensive playbook and Chip was supposed to be free to run "Gus' offense" how he wanted.  I think that is causing confusion.  Yes Chip called the plays (except for Ga Southern, Clemson, and 3 qtrs of LSU) but they were plays Gus designed not Chip.  Chip is running Malzahns' run play action offense not his own air raid offense.  So that is why somethings have stayed exactly the same.  @StatTiger has done a phenomenal job of analyzing the offense from when Gus called plays as OC, as a  HC, when Rhett was given the O, when Chip  was at Arizona State, and when Chip came to  us.  With  Rhett and Chip, the plays never changed, we rarely still see slant routes, but up  the middle on first, run it again on second, throw it deep on third if its more  than 5 yards to go doesn't happen with Chip or  Rhett.  I think going forward what we want to see is Gus allowing Chip to include more of his air raid scheme.

9 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

To be fair, and  this is something Gus said when he hired Chip and that means Chip agreed to it, Chip was going to be allowed to run Gus' offense not his.  Gus gave Chip "his" offensive playbook and Chip was supposed to be free to run "Gus' offense" how he wanted.  I think that is causing confusion.  Yes Chip called the plays (except for Ga Southern, Clemson, and 3 qtrs of LSU) but they were plays Gus designed not Chip.  Chip is running Malzahns' run play action offense not his own air raid offense.  So that is why somethings have stayed exactly the same.  @StatTiger has done a phenomenal job of analyzing the offense from when Gus called plays as OC, as a  HC, when Rhett was given the O, when Chip  was at Arizona State, and when Chip came to  us.  With  Rhett and Chip, the plays never changed, we rarely still see slant routes, but up  the middle on first, run it again on second, throw it deep on third if its more  than 5 yards to go doesn't happen with Chip or  Rhett.  I think going forward what we want to see is Gus allowing Chip to include more of his air raid scheme.

At the very least some crossing routes and slants. Not a whole lot to ask for...

11 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

To be fair, and  this is something Gus said when he hired Chip and that means Chip agreed to it, Chip was going to be allowed to run Gus' offense not his.  Gus gave Chip "his" offensive playbook and Chip was supposed to be free to run "Gus' offense" how he wanted.  I think that is causing confusion.  Yes Chip called the plays (except for Ga Southern, Clemson, and 3 qtrs of LSU) but they were plays Gus designed not Chip.  Chip is running Malzahns' run play action offense not his own air raid offense.  So that is why somethings have stayed exactly the same.  @StatTiger has done a phenomenal job of analyzing the offense from when Gus called plays as OC, as a  HC, when Rhett was given the O, when Chip  was at Arizona State, and when Chip came to  us.  With  Rhett and Chip, the plays never changed, we rarely still see slant routes, but up  the middle on first, run it again on second, throw it deep on third if its more  than 5 yards to go doesn't happen with Chip or  Rhett. I think going forward what we want to see is Gus allowing Chip to include more of his air raid scheme.

Great post, except I don't agree with the highlighted part. I want to see Chip learning how to improve Gus's offense, not go to "air raid". The only way Auburn should use some variation of air raid is if five running backs are injured, plus both guys that were moved from some other position to play RB got inured too. Gus's offense is the best in the SEC. Improving anything is good but you never want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Archived