...monstrous task ahead for OL in 2020

bigbird

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/j-b-grimes-well-aware-of-monstrous-task-ahead-for-ol-in-2020/

Only Alec Jackson and Prince Micheal Sammons will stand above 6-5 and provide an opportunity to add depth at tackle. Sammons hasn’t played significant snaps at any point in his career, however.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a pretty scary situation for our program.

For those of us that want Gus replaced I'm feeling like it may actually be better for the health of our program to get through this year with Gus then let him coach through the inevitably debacle of a season we will endure in 2020 (yes I'm already throwing in the towel with our OL absolutely wrecking our season) and show him the door after that rather than have a new coach be straddled with having to recruit a completely new OL from day 1.

Ugh...

Replacing 5 seniors is always going to be a hard task but especially so when you don't recruit particularly well at certain positions.

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Replacing 5 seniors is always going to be a hard task but especially so when you don't recruit particularly well at certain positions.

Yeah. We don't even get to start developing next year's starters this year. 

Jackson, Sammons and Osborne. One just started playing OL, one had to be talked into staying with the program and is almost definitely not going to start this year, and the other one might be a guard. Our starters for 2020 are likely Trox, who won't be practicing or playing at all this year, and somebody who won't be on campus this fall. 

I don't think that's what you call depth. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

This is a pretty scary situation for our program.

For those of us that want Gus replaced I'm feeling like it may actually be better for the health of our program to get through this year with Gus then let him coach through the inevitably debacle of a season we will endure in 2020 (yes I'm already throwing in the towel with our OL absolutely wrecking our season) and show him the door after that rather than have a new coach be straddled with having to recruit a completely new OL from day 1.

Ugh...

That just puts us another season further from addressing OL recruiting.  Need a new coach that can come in and add 4/5 star OT talent.  

Unfortunately I think it’s going to hinder our efforts at attracting a top coach.

22 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

That just puts us another season further from addressing OL recruiting.  Need a new coach that can come in and add 4/5 star OT talent.  

Unfortunately I think it’s going to hinder our efforts at attracting a top coach.

As long as we're not dealing with any NCAA sanctions, we will be one of the most attractive jobs in the country whenever that time comes. As long as there's a candidate available, we won't have any issues hiring the next guy I don't think. 

Who are the coaches that you guys think we could hire to do what needs done in order for our program to thrive in our current environment with recruiting, development, etc? Honest question.

13 minutes ago, toddc said:

Who are the coaches that you guys think we could hire to do what needs done in order for our program to thrive in our current environment with recruiting, development, etc? Honest question.

Worthy of a separate thread.

FWIW, I see Gus staying another year unless he started 2-4

31 minutes ago, toddc said:

No clue. And no clue what the candidate pool will look like at the end of this year, or next. But if Gus is let go, I'm confident that our next hire will be a much bigger splash than we're used to. 

Edit: I should say "could be" instead of "will be". I have no idea who we'll hire, but it will be a major name if 1) we want it to be and 2) we don't screw it up in negotiations. IMO.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No clue. And no clue what the candidate pool will look like at the end of this year, or next. But if Gus is let go, I'm confident that our next hire will be a much bigger splash than we're used to. 

See this is my only fear. People (Not saying you) will want a splash hire...I would be fine with the right guy.. I guess the right guy IMO.. LOL

1 minute ago, DAG said:

This type of stuff can be your undoing....

I'm envisioning Arkansas over the last 4 years.

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I'm envisioning AU 1998.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

See this is my only fear. People (Not saying you) will want a splash hire...I would be fine with the right guy.. I guess the right guy IMO.. LOL

Yeah, I'm actually going to add an edit to my post. It might not be a splash hire, but it could be if we chose for it to be. My main point is that we will more or less have our pick of available candidates. What we do with that opportunity is anybody's guess, lol. 

4 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm envisioning AU 1998.

A guy with major championship pedigree who's getting it done at a mid-tier P5 school should be our floor. Amazingly, that is our ceiling for every hire I've been around for and every one of them has still won a title, earned a title that wasn't awarded, went undefeated and/or played in a title game. 5 coaches in almost 40 years and every one of them has won big. And they came from Wyoming, Samford, Ole Miss, Iowa State and Arkansas State. Those last two stole nick saban's cookie. Man, can y'all imagine what's possible here???

SOME GOT DANGED O LINEMEN, THAT'S WHAT'S POSSIBLE okay sorry for the yelling I was just proud of myself for getting back OT. 

30 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Just don't envision Tennessee over the last 11 years...

I definitely feel like Greene is trying to make the football only facility happen as fast as he can so that when the inevitable time comes to make a change then it's at least in progress. That will make us a more attractive job. Gus will be his own undoing unless a miracle happens before 2020 in OL recruiting. He's going to need a small miracle this season for everyone to remain healthy. I think Greene sees the bigger picture and knows if you want to accommodate that picture he's going to need a bigger house so to speak. 

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Edit: I should say "could be" instead of "will be". I have no idea who we'll hire, but it will be a major name if 1) we want it to be and 2) we don't screw it up in negotiations. IMO.

It is hard to figure where AG would go in finding a coach.  I would think that a search committee would be off the table or should be.  I do have confidence in him finding the right fit.  A coach that is closer to his personality, high energy and having social skills would be nice.

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I definitely feel like Greene is trying to make the football only facility happen as fast as he can so that when the inevitable time comes to make a change then it's at least in progress. That will make us a more attractive job. Gus will be his own undoing unless a miracle happens before 2020 in OL recruiting. He's going to need a small miracle this season for everyone to remain healthy. I think Greene sees the bigger picture and knows if you want to accommodate that picture he's going to need a bigger house so to speak. 

I just hope we cash that $2 million check from Gus before that happens!!!!!

9 minutes ago, gr82be said:

If we can get a Bruce Pearl like coach for the football team that would be amazing. I really just want a coach with a little more energy and excitement behind him. Gus interviews are utterly pointless.

25 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Just don't envision Tennessee over the last 11 years...

well they beat Auburn so there's that

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If we can get a Bruce Pearl like coach for the football team that would be amazing. I really just want a coach with a little more energy and excitement behind him. Gus interviews are utterly pointless.

I hope Bruce has an effect on the mindset whenever we're ready to make another big hire, in any sport. For once they really swung for the fences and damn, it has paid off and then some.

Again, not saying that we necessarily need a big name. But we need some pedigree and we need some juice. 

Archived