Things I like about Gus

nixtosanders94

In the spirit of being positive this week...and as an olive branch to those radical pumpers I’ve offended...I want to show that I can see positives in Gus too. I’m not being a smart ass here. This is a real attempt at being positive. I encourage everyone to follow with positives...

1. Gus is a great ambassador for Auburn- class act, honest, nice guy, seems to genuinely care about his players.

2. Has stabilized the program- no losing seasons, no wheels come off seasons like his predecessors. Six straight bowl appearances. 

3. Less off field issues- seems to run a fairly disciplined program. Few off field problems.

4. Hired Kevin Steele- took some criticism initially but Steele has brought defense back to Auburn.

5. Recruits well- consistently good classes

6. 2013- for all we had been through in 2011 and 2012...he gave the players confidence again and took us all on a hell of a ride.

Overall I like Gus. I believe he does want to win and cares about Auburn. For this week at least and maybe longer, I’m going to refrain from being negative about him. Im going to get up Saturday and enjoy a big game day and just pull hard for Auburn. If we win Saturday then possibilities open up. Who knows right? 

There, thats the best I can do with positivity on Gus. I genuinely and deeply hope we win this week and win big the rest of the year. War Eagle friends...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An amazing and humble and rare post my friend. I love CGM and I still believe he’s the man we need to have coaching Auburn. Thanks 

1 minute ago, api1957 said:

He has a cool car.

That electric bimmer? ...blech!

However, he has the financial ability to afford a Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Ford GT, ZR1 Corvette, Maseratti, Alpha-Romeo, McLaren, etc.  Actually, he can afford several of each and then some.

....what are we talking about again?

10 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

In the spirit of being positive this week...and as an olive branch to those radical pumpers I’ve offended...I want to show that I can see positives in Gus too. I’m not being a smart ass here. This is a real attempt at being positive. I encourage everyone to follow with positives...

1. Gus is a great ambassador for Auburn- class act, honest, nice guy, seems to genuinely care about his players.

2. Has stabilized the program- no losing seasons, no wheels come off seasons like his predecessors. Six straight bowl appearances. 

3. Less off field issues- seems to run a fairly disciplined program. Few off field problems.

4. Hired Kevin Steele- took some criticism initially but Steele has brought defense back to Auburn.

5. Recruits well- consistently good classes

6. 2013- for all we had been through in 2011 and 2012...he gave the players confidence again and took us all on a hell of a ride.

Overall I like Gus. I believe he does want to win and cares about Auburn. For this week at least and maybe longer, I’m going to refrain from being negative about him. Im going to get up Saturday and enjoy a big game day and just pull hard for Auburn. If we win Saturday then possibilities open up. Who knows right? 

There, thats the best I can do with positivity on Gus. I genuinely and deeply hope we win this week and win big the rest of the year. War Eagle friends...

The “less off the field” issues can’t be stressed enough. I have zero problems with how he manages the team in that aspect. No heartburn at all. 

Nice post!

Thanks for your words @nixtosanders94. All of what you say is true and I tend to focus on these, maybe a little too much. The truth always lies somewhere between strong opinions. We all love Auburn and Gus does too. We can't know all that he knows about the individual players and he might be waiting on some to show certain characteristics. 🤷‍♀️ I know he has reasons for what he does and I don't really understand them, just like everyone else. That doesn't mean he's always right. And it doesn't mean he's always wrong, either. You will be a lot happier if you don't get too, too worked up on the things you see as negatives. And I will try to be a little more realistic and not so sunny! haha

37 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I will forever be thankful for what he did that year. Looking back, I don't know that any other coach does that. While on this path in time...what happens if we don't have that magical run in 2013. Where would our recruiting be. I don't recall what other coaches we were looking at in that search but I think Gus has done a decent job for as young as he is. I too, believe he is still the man for the job @toddc Thanks for that post. That was a great post and I try to do the same. It is easy to get so upset and think we all could do better, but end of the day we Love Auburn and just want to win. Go get them Gus!. War Damn Eagle

27 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That electric bimmer? ...blech!

However, he has the financial ability to afford a Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Ford GT, ZR1 Corvette, Maseratti, Alpha-Romeo, McLaren, etc.  Actually, he can afford several of each and then some.

....what are we talking about again?

That bimmer is better than my equinox. I’m just mad that my wife won’t let me get the new Challenger.

I love that he wants our players to have high character as well as talent. When I went to the women’s football camp this summer he talked about how important the character aspect was to him because his players  are representing Auburn.  He genuinely cares about the players and they seem to know it. I thought the moment with Woody Barrett said a lot about his relationship with his players.

Archived