Play the season without fans at the stadium

doc4aday

1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

So if we have football this season....without a vaccine yet, how many of you would go? (Sorry...I just want to talk about football lol). And btw...if you have underlying conditions, I’m sure that is a no. I would likely feel a lot better about an outside stadium than an inside arena for basketball.

I don't go as often as I used to. With every game on TV, I've been watching "from the comfort of my own living room". But if there was a game I really wanted to attend, the virus wouldn't figure into my decision.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

So if we have football this season....without a vaccine yet, how many of you would go? (Sorry...I just want to talk about football lol). And btw...if you have underlying conditions, I’m sure that is a no. I would likely feel a lot better about an outside stadium than an inside arena for basketball.

No way. There are several events that I want to go to this fall but I don't anticipate I'll be making any of them. It's clear that no matter how much I control my own actions, I can't depend upon others to behave responsibly. This assumes that we're not meaningfully closer to a treatment or vaccine before then. 

I had tickets to an event in Savannah in April. That got cancelled, of course. The event was rescheduled for October. I had the option of getting a refund, but I accepted a ticket for the rescheduled event instead. I don't know that I'll be going and I'm not certain the event will even be held, but it's an arts organization and I wanted to help them out with their cash flow. We'll see where things stand in the fall. It will still be very hot and humid down here well into October, so the bug might still be taking its summer nap when the concert rolls around. 

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There are two tests, one that shows if you are currently "sick" and the antibody test that shows that you once had the virus and are now over it. That's how people know he no longer has the virus.

That's why I wrote: "At one point in the past he was contagious but that time has passed." See my previous post. If one thinks the recent Stanford University survey extrapolates to the rest of the country, then 85% of the people that get this virus never even recognized that they had it. It appears Dye falls into that category. We simply cannot indefinitely quarantine every person that MIGHT spread the virus.

Philosophy on the question doesn't matter much anyway. If restrictions aren't continually lightened, organized civil disobedience by millions of Americans is only a few weeks away.

Yes and during that point he had no idea he had it so who the heck knows if he affected anyone else during that time since he had no clue he had that. Did you just not read that section. I never said self quarantine everyone. However, if you are one of those people who meet the criteria for being at risk for attaining the virus, I would highly recommend you follow proper precautions as to not only protect yourself but your fellow love ones. Funny, you were preaching this too another poster, yet you don’t want to follow those same standards. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yes and during that point he had no idea he had it so who the heck knows if he affected anyone else during that time since he had no clue he had that. Did you just not read that section. I never said self quarantine everyone. However, if you are one of those people who meet the criteria for being at risk for attaining the virus, I would highly recommend you follow proper precautions as to not only protect yourself but your fellow love ones. Funny, you were preaching this too another poster, yet you don’t want to follow those same standards. 

Bet you wish you could have had this conversation with some of your patients a couple weeks sooner. Of course, this shows they very well might not have listened to you.

As for the antibody test, I'm well aware of the difference but I haven't seen it reported anywhere that that's what he had done. Everything I've seen reported said that he tested positive for the virus "a few days ago"/"last week" (I've seen it both ways and not any more specific than that) and is currently "essentially asymptomatic". I've seen no mention of an antibody test or all-clear. 

17 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Nope. I love the gym more than anything but even though mine is open, I try to go as early or late as possible , to stay away from even the minimal amount of people. I adhere to all safety recommendations. My gym does a great job of follow restrictions as well as it is connected to my health system. If I feel it to be deemed unsafe I just do home workouts. And yes I do lift with a mask. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bet you wish you could have had this conversation with some of your patients a couple weeks sooner. Of course, this shows they very well might not have listened to you.

As for the antibody test, I'm well aware of the difference but I haven't seen it reported anywhere that that's what he had done. Everything I've seen reported said that he tested positive for the virus "a few days ago"/"last week" (I've seen it both ways and not any more specific than that) and is currently "essentially asymptomatic". I've seen no mention of an antibody test or all-clear. 

Patient adherence man patient adherence. But then want to complain about healthcare cost 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No way. There are several events that I want to go to this fall but I don't anticipate I'll be making any of them. It's clear that no matter how much I control my own actions, I can't depend upon others to behave responsibly. This assumes that we're not meaningfully closer to a treatment or vaccine before then. 

I had tickets to an event in Savannah in April. That got cancelled, of course. The event was rescheduled for October. I had the option of getting a refund, but I accepted a ticket for the rescheduled event instead. I don't know that I'll be going and I'm not certain the event will even be held, but it's an arts organization and I wanted to help them out with their cash flow. We'll see where things stand in the fall. It will still be very hot and humid down here well into October, so the bug might still be taking its summer nap when the concert rolls around. 

Where I live (out west) restaurants are at 50% capacity and for the most part, difficult to get in; so people are getting back out.  I simply can’t stay in. It really started getting to me more than I thought it would. I feel like I take appropriate measures when I go out and plan to be inside. However, outside (playing golf or tennis or just walking) I feel safe not wearing a mask. Seems there is a very wide spectrum of opinions and I find it interesting that more in my age group (old...😊) are likely to be LESS nervous about getting out, while many I know in the 25-35 year old range are much more scared of the outside. That’s very anecdotal but odd given the statistics.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I have been a proponent of those in nursing homes and with underlying medical conditions to be cautious. The worse the physical condition, the more caution. My physical condition doesn't demand extra caution.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes and during that point he had no idea he had it so who the heck knows if he affected anyone else during that time since he had no clue he had that

It's pretty close to a certainty that Dye passed the virus to others. Who did he get it from? Somebody else that didn't know he/she was contagious at the time. That cannot be stopped with reasonable  measures.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I have been a proponent of those in nursing homes and with underlying medical conditions to be cautious. The worse the physical condition, the more caution. My physical condition doesn't demand extra caution.

It's pretty close to a certainty that Dye passed the virus to others. Who did he get it from? Somebody else that didn't know he/she was contagious at the time. That cannot be stopped with reasonable  measures.

Are you 65 or over? 

or somebody who knew the precautions and chose not to do them. Kind of like you are doing , no? 

Thats why everyone needs to be solely responsible for their actions and not be as dismissive as you are being. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Also, he said that in February. He's since changed his stance, like anyone who's actually bothered to keep up with real information instead of just cherry picking the talking points that allow them to go on being selfish and lazy. In fact, on May 13th, he made his feelings about masks quite clear:

He's also tweeted numerous times to follow CDC guidelines. There's really not much ambiguity about any of this. Tim, you need to do a better job informing yourself.

This is why Americans can't be treated like grownups. 

2 % .......like putting up a chain link fence to stop mosquitoes. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Pat freaking Dye is an asymptomatic carrier, for crying out loud. He simultaneously is Exhibit A of who should have been completely quarantined for his own safety and poses the greatest threat to others. Yet, it sounds like some of you would have been in complete support of him wandering around Wal-Mart and signing babies with no mask on. 

Please show me a quote from someone in this thread; or any thread for that matter; who said 1) people over 80; I'll even take 70 or 65   and/or  2) with pre-existing major illness; should not stay inside and quarantine themselves?  

Advocating for letting healthy people carry on with their lives (the 80% of the population) is not the same as advocating for old-sick people to  cavort around Wal-mart signing babies with no mask on.  This kind of reaction is why we can't have nice things and our economy is now in a self inflicted shambles.  Was Pat out at Walmart?  signing babies?  Cavorting around much of anywhere?  If he was, he's an idiot.  If not; maybe it's like Cuomo said; we locked people up and; not surprising to anyone with a brain; they got sick with a disease that spreads in close quarters like every other god-damn corona virus or flu or cold or just about ******* anything contagious. 

Play the games.  Live life.  No one gets out alive.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

yes it can.  that is why we need to isolate until the numbers are low enough to contact trace and have  proper  testing..  That is why we need to be extra cautious until we can actually flatten the curve.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Are you over 65? 

or somebody who knew the precautions and chose not to do them. Kind of like you are doing , no? 

Thats why everyone needs to be solely responsible for their actions and not be as dismissive as you are being. 

As I stated earlier, I am 12 years past 65. I'll do reasonable things such as use hand sanitizer as soon as I leave a store. Will I stay out of a store because of the virus? No. If the employees in a store aren't taking extreme measures then I won't while I'm in there. Apparently, in your position you are seeing the worst of this virus. I'm sorry for that, but the rest of the country isn't seeing what you are seeing. We aren't experiencing what you are experiencing. Everybody you see is very sick. Most of us don't even know someone who got very sick because of this. Your world is 100% virus. Mine is 20% virus and that 20% is merely inconvenience and six o'clock news.

9 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Where I live (out west) restaurants are at 50% capacity and for the most part, difficult to get in; so people are getting back out.  I simply can’t stay in. It really started getting to me more than I thought it would. I feel like I take appropriate measures when I go out and plan to be inside. However, outside (playing golf or tennis or just walking) I feel safe not wearing a mask. Seems there is a very wide spectrum of opinions and I find it interesting that more in my age group (old...😊) are likely to be LESS nervous about getting out, while many I know in the 25-35 year old range are much more scared of the outside. That’s very anecdotal but odd given the statistics.

That this has primarily happened during what is the most temperate time of the year for much of the country is an immeasurable stroke of good luck. We live in a neighborhood with miles of bike paths, two beaches (on the Sound and not on the ocean, so not great for swimming, but great for letting the kids play), and a few other greenspaces. And we have spent most of our free time using them. Summer heat and humidity is coming, but hopefully that beats the virus down for a few months and we can feel a bit better about the occasional time spent in indoor spaces other than our home. 

Just now, Mikey said:

As I stated earlier, I am 12 years past 65. I'll do reasonable things such as use hand sanitizer as soon as I leave a store. Will I stay out of a store because of the virus? No. If the employees in a store aren't taking extreme measures then I won't while I'm in there. Apparently, in your position you are seeing the worst of this virus. I'm sorry for that, but the rest of the country isn't seeing what you are seeing. We aren't experiencing what you are experiencing. Everybody you see is very sick. Most of us don't even know someone who got very sick because of this. Your world is 100% virus. Mine is 20% virus and that 20% is merely inconvenience and six o'clock news.

Fair enough 

3 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Please show me a quote from someone in this thread; or any thread for that matter; who said 1) people over 80; I'll even take 70 or 65   and/or  2) with pre-existing major illness; should not stay inside and quarantine themselves?  

Advocating for letting healthy people carry on with their lives (the 80% of the population) is not the same as advocating for old-sick people to  cavort around Wal-mart signing babies with no mask on.  This kind of reaction is why we can't have nice things and our economy is now in a self inflicted shambles.  Was Pat out at Walmart?  signing babies?  Cavorting around much of anywhere?  If he was, he's an idiot.  If not; maybe it's like Cuomo said; we locked people up and; not surprising to anyone with a brain; they got sick with a disease that spreads in close quarters like every other god-damn corona virus or flu or cold or just about ******* anything contagious. 

Play the games.  Live life.  No one gets out alive.

More than likely some dumbass with the virus (known or unknown)  that was walking around  without a mask gave it to someone that passed it to dye.    

Do you still not understand how viruses are transmitted?

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm sorry for that, but the rest of the country isn't seeing what you are seeing.  

There you go spewing your made up propaganda without providing any evidence.  

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ap-norc-poll-83-americans-concerned-lifting-restrictions-70792419

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/494028-poll-more-than-70-percent-of-americans-support-stay-at-home-orders

https://www.foxnews.com/science/majority-workers-not-feel-safe-if-their-state-reopened-now

Sorry you have vested interest fallacy and can not see the light.

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

More than likely some dumbass with the virus (known or unknown)  that was walking around  without a mask gave it to someone that passed it to dye.    

This wasn't directed to me, but I do understand how viruses are transmitted. Much information from the several on-topic courses I took at Auburn still rattles around in my brain. I also understand the draconian measures that would be required for an entire population to take the necessary measures to totally stop transmission of the virus. Americans are not going to be willing to take those measures. For Dye to have been prevented from first getting and then passing the virus along would have required things we are not going to do, measures we are not going to take.

12 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Well, actually, no; that is not correct.  The "data" says he most likely (86% of the cases) got it from either being in a care facility, prison or by being locked up in his on home.  I get it; you have health conditions and are rightly afraid for your own health.  You should stay as isolated as practical until such time as this thing runs it's course.  No one blames you for needing to do this....no one thinks anything other than that being prudent precautions.  As an 80 year old with chronic kidney disease; so should the Coach.  But your health conditions are not sufficient cause to shut down the nation.

Fortunately I live in a state that put up with the 15 days flatten the curve nonsense (the curve was never going to exceed capacity); but not the indefinite suspension of liberty.  

I have not seen what Auburn athletics is doing; but A&M AD (like some others in another post) said June 1st for re-opening athtetic facilities with new health and safety protocols.  I look forward to meeting anyone on here wanting to share a Scotch (I'll buy) at the Auburn vs A&M game this fall; oh, caution, I shake hands and will likely have a cigar no matter who wins (2 of my kids are Aggies).

Just now, japantiger said:

care facility, prison or by being locked up in his on home

Fortunately I live in a state that put up with the 15 days flatten the curve nonsense (the curve was never going to exceed capacity); but not the indefinite suspension of liberty.  

Which state are you in ?   

you will not be young forever.  I was  once 10 foot tall and bullet prof also,   but I didn't live as long as I have by being frivolous  I am a survivor.  Old people live to be old by logically understanding risk  and avoiding it.   It is not a matter of bravado. 

Please explain to me how you think someone that is  locked up at home  can catch any virus? 

Wait, a high percentage of people have gotten sick in their homes/care facilities/prisons in the 2 months that almost everybody has been spending almost all their time at home/in care facilities/in prisons? That's wild, man. 

Let's open everything up like some of y'all want to and see how those numbers shake out after a month.

10 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Which state are you in ?   

you will not be young forever.  I was  once 10 foot tall and bullet prof also,   but I didn't live as long as I have by being frivolous  I am a survivor.  Old people live to be old by logically understanding risk  and avoiding it.   It is not a matter of bravado. 

Please explain to me how you think someone that is  locked up at home  can catch any virus? 

My friend at this point this thread has run its course . I would stop giving my attention to this guy. Let him walk his own path. I’m done debating with a couple of others. Spend that time in discussing ways to keep our players safe. Praying for you and your health btw. Thanks for walking a safe regiment .

20 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Two of these articles are a month old...so “now” has a different meaning. As I heard recently...the percentage who want to stay shut down are mostly still getting pay checks. 

5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Two of these articles are a month old...so “now” has a different meaning. As I heard recently...the percentage who want to stay shut down are mostly still getting pay checks. 

show me ONE article that shows most of america thinks we should open up? from ANY date. 

For those who chose to debate and need stats to back up your pros/cons for opening or not then go here, direct from the great state of Alabama Department of Public Health.  It is updated twice a day usually around 8 am and 4pm.  They have also got breakdown by counties and lots of pretty charts and graphs. A little FYI as of today at 8am, 31% of the states confirmed cases have come in the last 14 days, but so has 39% of the testing.

https://www.alabamanews.net/2020/05/08/live-interactive-map-of-alabama-coronavirus-cases/

Archived