2021 NSD Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Zeek

4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Typical Malzahn signing class.  One Offensive Lineman, a 3*, no offense to Langlo.  He may turn out to be the GOAT but our biggest weakness and we only sign one.  

Spot on. Part of the reason he had to go. 7 seasons in a row of at least 4 loses unacceptable and the poor O Line recruiting was a HUGE part of that. I pray we learn and make changes. 

Overall, all things considered, cutting the coach a few days before signing day, could have been much worse.....much, much worse. 

2 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Typical Malzahn signing class.  One Offensive Lineman, a 3*, no offense to Langlo.  He may turn out to be the GOAT but our biggest weakness and we only sign one.  

I don't agree with this take. For example, we need linebackers and signed none. The whole class is short at every position except TE. This was bound to happen given the timing of things. The season ended very late and the early signing date remained the same at the same time we fired the coach. That was never going to be anything but a disaster across the board at all positions.

Every player getting a "pass" for the 2020 season will almost certainly lessen the consequences of this recruiting class. If it had to happen, this was the year to do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I don't agree with this take. For example, we need linebackers and signed none. The whole class is short at every position except TE. This was bound to happen given the timing of things. The season ended very late and the early signing date remained the same at the same time we fired the coach. That was never going to be anything but a disaster across the board at all positions.

Every player getting a "pass" for the 2020 season will almost certainly lessen the consequences of this recruiting class. If it had to happen, this was the year to do it.

To be fair we get 5* Terrence Lewis and 4* Trevin Wallace at linebacker today if Gus didn't get booted.

We also have 4* OG that I think we get in February. The plan for OT was a kid who switched to ND and now we're looking at grad transfers.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

To be fair we get 5* Terrence Lewis and 4* Trevin Wallace at linebacker today if Gus didn't get booted.

We also have 4* OG that I think we get in February. The plan for OT was a kid who switched to ND and now we're looking at grad transfers.

Who is the OG you are referring to? Roberts? I hope he sticks. Did Lee Hunter ever ink to pad?

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Who is the OG you are referring to? Roberts? I hope he sticks. Did Lee Hunter ever ink to pad?

Yes to all the above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Well the star gazers aren’t gonna like this class at all. 

The problem is that this class is what we would have signed if he would have stayed anyway. Pretty much tells you why he was let go. That and he can’t beat Georgia.

• Like 1

Love this. Young men falling in love with Auburn because its Auburn. No Head ball coach= doesn't matter.  War Eagle young tigers!!!

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Did someone jump the gun?

976193B8-B9E7-4258-AD89-7D58B8ECA2D6.png

No they only tweet out once they physically have the NLI

Welcome to Auburn Lee Hunter!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zeek said:

No they only tweet out once they physically have the NLI

I thought so too but does his tweet sound like he signed? Maybe I am reading more into it than what it is.  

So far 4 DL the two big DT's Hunter and Robinson we really wanted and needed,  Okoli who I think will really be a sleeper but will take a year or two and Ian Matthews who might become an OT.  We kept Harvey which is big as we need safety help, we kept Hadden at CB and we picked up Diamond at CB who we are hoping turns out to be a Diamond in the Rough (sorry guys I just had to say that). On O Side we get Davis who was probably most important person we need to keep, Presley at WR, King and Calcaterra at TE, and Gardner at OG. Considering our season and Gus being let go just before early NSD. On top of that the staff has gotten some key players to hold off on signing so if we get the right coach we may be able to salvage some other players who have held off. 

The next key for this interim staff is to get players thinking about transferring to hold off until we have a new coach in place. Hopefully because of allowing players to stay who would normally leave this weaker class won't hurt as as much as in the past. 

Keeping players from transferring is key to next year.

Hamm, Troxell, Jackson, Coffee, and Zier give us some options at OT

We are pretty solid in Interior for next year assuming Council returns with Jones, Manning Brahms and a few others.  Would love to get Wilson to add to interior D-Line strength.  O-Line progressed as year went on even with injuries so assuming no transfers they should be ok next year but will not be elite.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Unreal that we kept Davis and Hunter. 

I was just going to post that those are the two recruits that we just had to keep.  I count today as a huge success that they and so many others signed.   I am very, very excited about Davis. He is going to be great here.  And Hunter is an awesome DT at a huge position of need.   Brown's absence on the line this year is a sharp reminder of how much of a difference great tackle play makes to the defense. He was sorely missed.

4 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I was just going to post that those are the two recruits that we just had to keep.  I count today as a huge success that they and so many others signed.   I am very, very excited about Davis. He is going to be great here.  And Hunter is an awesome DT at a huge position of need.   Brown's absence on the line this year is a sharp reminder of how much of a difference great tackle play makes to the defense. He was sorely missed.

Robinson is no slouch at DT. I think we actually got two potentially great DT's. I said potentially as you don't know how hard they will work, how much they will listen and learn from their coach and how much they will develop. Garner has taken some talented D-Linemen and developed them and he has failed with others. Some of that is on the players and some is because Garner's style may work for one and not another that pretty much goes for any Coach as each player is different. Garner seems to be a tough love coach and that was the perfect type coach for players like Brown.

I am not saying Garner will be kept just commenting on what he did while he was here.

We have the raw clay with Hunter and Robinson now to see how the D-Line coach molds them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Robinson is no slouch at DT. I think we actually got two potentially great DT's. I said potentially as you don't know how hard they will work, how much they will listen and learn from their coach and how much they will develop. Garner has taken some talented D-Linemen and developed them and he has failed with others. Some of that is on the players and some is because Garner's style may work for one and not another that pretty much goes for any Coach as each player is different. Garner seems to be a tough love coach and that was the perfect type coach for players like Brown.

I am not saying Garner will be kept just commenting on what he did while he was here.

We have the raw clay with Hunter and Robinson now to see how the D-Line coach molds them.

Harvey is much needed depth at safety. Hal and King are big bodied receivers.

Tennessee is about to be (3-7) Pruitt is about to be fired and is (9-19) against SEC teams with a losing overall record. NCAA needs to wise up when teams like that are sitting #15 in recruiting.

• Thanks 1

Well that was expected but still sucks. He's going to be great.

• Sad 1

Lost Goodwin, Roberts, Wallace, and Lewis  et al because of the firing.  All Gus's fault for getting fired at the wrong time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2