The current legacy of Bo Nix

StatTiger

I think the reason Marshall was brought up is that he could get the ball *to* any spot on the field *from* any spot on the field. And he could do it flat footed or on the run. Regardless of accuracy, the fact that his arm was capable of doing that meant that the defense had to respect the explosive pass play whereas defenses that face this current Auburn offense don't to nearly the same degree. 

I mean, look at how casually Nick does *this*. This is a touch pass thrown 40+ yards in the air without even setting his feet. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think the reason Marshall was brought up is that he could get the ball *to* any spot on the field *from* any spot on the field. And he could do it flat footed or on the run. Regardless of accuracy, the fact that his arm was capable of doing that meant that the defense had to respect the explosive pass play whereas defenses that face this current Auburn offense don't to nearly the same degree. 

I mean, look at how casually Nick does *this*. This is a touch pass thrown 40+ yards in the air without even setting his feet. 

R*E*S*P*E*C*T, take care, TCB. 

Sorry, drifted there for a minute. Marshall was so special and as said before, we didn't know how special when we were watching at the time. He had to be respected by defenses.  One of the few seasons where we had a player capable of making something special happen on any given play. By the way, whatever happened to the coach of this team? He had what seemed to be such a bright future at the time. 

• Haha 1

So what did we learn about Bo’s legacy ? IMO, to the layman most people think Bo is overrated. To the average Auburn fan, he will always be near to their heart because he is indeed a legacy athlete. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

So what did we learn about Bo’s legacy ? IMO, to the layman most people think Bo is overrated. To the average Auburn fan, he will always be near to their heart because he is indeed a legacy athlete. 

It seems that Bo's critics have an easier time compartmentalizing the performance of Auburn's QB1 and Bo Nix the human.

It seems that there's a segment of the fanbase that struggles to differentiate the two. 

But I'm pretty sure all of us have nothing but respect and good wishes for Bo Nix the human. I've never witnessed this "animosity" of which some speak. (I actually find myself hoping that some folks don't know what words like "animosity" actually mean.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bo is what he is. He isn't Cam, Nick, or Pat Sullivan, and he never will be. But there are successful qbs all over the country that don't fit that criteria. They are just on better teams. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It seems that Bo's critics have an easier time compartmentalizing the performance of Auburn's QB1 and Bo Nix the human.

It seems that there's a segment of the fanbase that struggles to differentiate the two. 

But I'm pretty sure all of us have nothing but respect and good wishes for Bo Nix the human. I've never witnessed this "animosity" of which some speak. (I actually find myself hoping that some folks don't know what words like "animosity" actually mean.)

Yeah I don't see it either. If there is animosity it is because some fans refuse to put any blame on Bo for his shortcomings. That can happen with any player. I have seen essentially fanboys of all the QBs in the past including SW. I was a big JS fanboy at one point, but eventually you got to see reality.

I see it more from a black & white perspective.  You either get the job done, constantly improve your performance, be the clear leader of the team, add value when on the field in competition or you don't.  If you aren't meeting the expectations of the program in your 3rd yr, the QB has the spotlight and he has to shoulder the lions share of the blame.   Fair or not it's just what happens. 

Am I harsh, IDK?  I see so much room for improvement in every area of this team that I become less & less enamored with the "Legacy" QB talk. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, keesler said:

I see it more from a black & white perspective.  You either get the job done, constantly improve your performance, be the clear leader of the team, add value when on the field in competition or you don't.  If you aren't meeting the expectations of the program in your 3rd yr, the QB has the spotlight and he has to shoulder the lions share of the blame.   Fair or not it's just what happens. 

Am I harsh, IDK?  I see so much room for improvement in every area of this team that I become less & less enamored with the "Legacy" QB talk. 

No, you're not harsh to suggest that it's incumbent upon QB1 to get better just like it's incumbent upon every player to get better. It's patently ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

It's not "Bo's legacy" that the team around him isn't good enough. That's their legacy. His current legacy is that he's not a very good passer. That's it. Maybe next year his legacy will be something different. Maybe he really is the next Stan White or Jason Campbell. But right now he's not above criticism any more than any other player on the team. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Dayum! He made that look so easy. I mean it was like he just...flicked it. Looking back, while we all knew how potent the offense was that year, the versatility and dare I say greatness of Marshall is so much more apparent. I'd take another just like him right now if we could get him on our Tiger's team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Dayum! He made that look so easy. I mean it was like he just...flicked it. Looking back, while we all knew how potent the offense was that year, the versatility and dare I say greatness of Marshall is so much more apparent. I'd take another just like him right now if we could get him on our Tiger's team.

Not sure we don’t have one in DD.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I'm not sure I don't agree. Too many reports out of early fall practices about DD having that "IT factor" and just making things happen, good things, when by all rights there should have been nothing to be had. Hope this staff is open to giving him a real shot if this season continues on the path I thought it might before it began. There will be nothing to lose...

7 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Maybe so maybe not. So far the staff hasn't seen fit to put Davis on the field. It's obvious that he's not ready at this point in time. D. Craig, to name a QB with similar talents, was a 4th year junior before he became QB #1.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:37 PM, DAG said:

Correct and you have been saying this from day 1. When a QB needs all the right pieces around him to be successful, I can’t consider that a 5 star , program changing player 

Ya know, I've been thinking about your reply for a few days now, Truth is, in the beginning I didn't know much about Bo and in the first game against Oregon when he struggled but Malzahn stuck with him I said something to the effect that "Malzahn is trying to help Bo grow up", and of course in the end our Tigers won that game on a very late Nix passing TD.

After that I kind of expected that Bo would come into his own over the course of the season and I and everyone else would get to see what the five star hype was all about. But it was over the course of that first season I began to have real questions about that five star rating and there were times when I hoped Gus would sit Bo for a series or two in games to settle him down and let Gatewood have a few series to gain in-game experience.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that in the beginning my hopes for Nix were sky high, pretty much like everyone else. Getting to this point in my evaluation of Bo's performance and limits was a process over that first season and even more in season two. I wasn't really ahead of the curve.

Edited by CleCoTiger
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 8:09 AM, gravejd said:

Bo is just like the rest of the offense...very meh. Can he and the rest of the offense actually make the plays that are there to be made? So far this season the answer is no. Sometimes its the line sometimes its the receivers and sometimes its Bo. If any one of those were really good they would make up for the shortcomings of the rest. But they are not really good so here we are with a very meh offense. It has chances to make plays but isn't consistent enough to make enough plays to actually score points. 

But the good news is that can all change very quickly. I feel they are close so we'll see if the coaches are able to pull the best out of this group. We have a bunch of hard but winnable games coming up and there is still plenty of time to have a very special season. However if the team continues as they have so far then it will go down as a very forget-able season and the rebuild will look that much more daunting.

These players including Bo is going through their 3rd offensive system, while that is not unusual for Auburn over the last several years, the difference is that in prior years these guys went from one high school system to another.  But these guys on this team are supposedly now for the first time trying to learn a college system.

• Like 3

On 10/12/2021 at 1:43 PM, McLoofus said:

The only thing that's difficult to understand is you saying "The truth is that Bo Nix does require a supporting cast to obtain the most of his abilities for no fault of his own." 

The current legacy of Bo Nix was actually very well described by actual football players who played his position during the game the other day and after on Cole Cubelic's show. He's got bad tendencies that make him a less effective QB. They're things that very good quarterbacks don't do. Don't need a deep dive into 20 years of history to see it. 

Feel free to put all of this into historical context but the "no fault of his own" thing is bizarre. Certainly more bizarre than merely saying that the run game could also use some help from more pass completions. 

Very true. Many moons ago, Dameyune Craig had one of the best QB seasons ever for an AU QB and he had so much less of a run game than Bo has had. The line was also not that great that year, maybe 95 or 96 when they lost to Manning in ATL for SEC championship. It’s getting really old hearing people say don’t jump on the QB, but the BOTTOM line is, he is not a very good QB. I mean, he’s getting paid from Milos is he not? I have never seen or heard him act like a true leader. A spectacular play or three, does not equate to a serviceable QB in this league. He is and has been in the bottom half of the league in most statistical categories since he arrived. Pile on, I am just pointing out the obvious. 

• Like 2

I think he has improved a ton this year!

Another year of coaching up will only make him better--- i hope.

I still see the flaws, but continue to watch with my orange and blue glasses,  Mostly because their really is no other choice.

To Remain optimistic  and admire the effort is our only course at this point.  And like watching your non-athletic child play baseball, you can only cheer and hope for that moment when everything actually does come together, and then,  revel in the moment.   Then go back to crossing your fingers when the throwing and catching starts again.

I'll have my O&B glasses on next year, too.  That will be his Stan/Jason season.  We'll all hoop and holler then................or not.  At this point I don;t see what good all the bashing does.  He's doing his best, has better days ahead, and we got no other options. 

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed

If you want to see what a qb that doesn’t work out but keeps playing does to a program, tune in to Clemson/Syracuse. Almost halftime, tied 7-7. He’s pressing and throwing hard to catch fast balls and having trouble throwing to anyone that isn’t uncovered. Sound familiar?
Yes. Clemson is TIED with SYRACUSE and only has SEVEN near the half. 
Bo is about out of time and would likely have been out of time with a better backup qb on the roster. 
The last thing we can afford is. 2021 Clemson style offense.  Hoping and praying he slaughters Arky, but if he doesn’t play great then TJ needs more reps. It is what it is. If halfway thru year 3 isn’t enough time it likely never will be. Great qbs throw receivers open. Bos shown the ability to do this a couple times but doesn’t do it well or consistently. He can’t see which covered receivers can still be thrown to.  Not sure that changes suddenly. 

5 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

If you want to see what a qb that doesn’t work out but keeps playing does to a program, tune in to Clemson/Syracuse. Almost halftime, tied 7-7. He’s pressing and throwing hard to catch fast balls and having trouble throwing to anyone that isn’t uncovered. Sound familiar?
Yes. Clemson is TIED with SYRACUSE and only has SEVEN near the half. 
Bo is about out of time and would likely have been out of time with a better backup qb on the roster. 
The last thing we can afford is. 2021 Clemson style offense.  Hoping and praying he slaughters Arky, but if he doesn’t play great then TJ needs more reps. It is what it is. If halfway thru year 3 isn’t enough time it likely never will be. Great qbs throw receivers open. Bos shown the ability to do this a couple times but doesn’t do it well or consistently. He can’t see which covered receivers can still be thrown to.  Not sure that changes suddenly. 

Not arguing.

What do you think of the difference in coaching from the last two years to this year. for Bo?  Do you see any improvement?  Is that worth waiting for? Honestly, I don't think TJ is the answer either.  The one series I saw him in in BR he looked horrible.  But, obviously his GAST appearance speaks for itself. 

Quite the quandry.

Guest MustardSeed
3 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Not arguing.

What do you think of the difference in coaching from the last two years to this year. for Bo?  Do you see any improvement?  Is that worth waiting for? Honestly, I don't think TJ is the answer either.  The one series I saw him in in BR he looked horrible.  But, obviously his GAST appearance speaks for itself. 

Quite the quandry.

Certainly a quandary or Bo would have already been benched. I’ve seen improvement. I’m not sure TJ is any better. But my main concern about Bo isn’t his ability to throw. He’s got the arm talent. He’s got talent at escaping pressure. He’s not good at sliding up in the pocket and has never been able to throw to covered receivers. If you watch the good qbs they throw to covered receivers all the time. They just put the ball where their guy is the most likely to make the play. Bo waits until someone is open. Always has. Maybe if he calms down and quits panicking non stop he could do that and MAYBE this staff can get him to do that, but odds aren’t great at this point. If that were to happen we’d likely be seeing the fruit of that starting to show. If anything it’s gotten worse. I’ll trust the coaches and support Bo whether he’s the qb or not, but I don’t expect him to start next year. 

Guest MustardSeed
9 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I'm betting on DD!

Who you got?

There’s 3 options IMO if it’s not Bo. Not expecting TJ or he’d be getting a better shot already (that’s an assumption but all evidence points this way thus far)

My opinion of best options in order

1) DD

2) Transfer qb (no one on the radar as of now but if Bo and TJ aren’t trusted, then we could see one)

3) Geriner (incoming freshman)

I think Harsin is smart enough to know that this year he isn’t expected to be great, so he’s trying to save a year of eligibility for DD and have him and Geriner moving forward. Playing a RS freshman next year would actually cause the fan base to relax a little on expectations too and see we are building for the future. Of course this is just my hope. 

Edited by MustardSeed

On 10/13/2021 at 10:21 AM, DAG said:

I think at this point Bo is the legacy of Patrick. Bo hasn’t been good enough to be eligible for a legacy. Hoping that is different by next year..

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 12:15 PM, McLoofus said:

No, you're not harsh to suggest that it's incumbent upon QB1 to get better just like it's incumbent upon every player to get better. It's patently ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

It's not "Bo's legacy" that the team around him isn't good enough. That's their legacy. His current legacy is that he's not a very good passer. That's it. Maybe next year his legacy will be something different. Maybe he really is the next Stan White or Jason Campbell. But right now he's not above criticism any more than any other player on the team. 

So we've waisted 3 years hoping and praying that this kid works out, it is not fair to the team and the coach who is under pressure to play this this kid because of fans and booster wanting this kid to play come hell or high water because of his last name. We all think we have the answers to what plaque Auburn and the answer is simple stop meddling and stay out of the way and let the coaches coach and play the BEST players..