Are we ready to admit

AUght2win

21 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

The lack of talent on the OLine has absolutely cost us a multitude of games spanning a multitude of years. That’s not my opinion. That’s an absolute fact. If Gus would have recruited OLine like he should have he would still have his job today and we wouldn’t be having arguments on whether or not Harsin’s game management cost us a win. It’s literally that simple.

Everybody gets better with a good O-line!!  Until that gets addressed. Nothing changes. Period!!!  Praying Harsin understands that. 

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I've seen this one and the one from K Johnson.

Who else has commented? Just curious. 

Are they all slanted towards being negative about BO getting run off by AU fans?

Nick Marshall is another one

• Dislike 1

Lot of people are more focused on the 2nd and 2 passes on the last drive. Goes without saying those were terrible calls. But at that point, IMO, the game was already lost. The three and out following Wooten's pick was where we had to convert. 

I knew there was no way TJ could lead a game winning drive with the way he was playing yesterday. CBH should have too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Lot of people are more focused on the 2nd and 2 passes on the last drive. Goes without saying those were terrible calls. But at that point, IMO, the game was already lost. The three and out following Wooten's pick was where we had to convert. 

I knew there was no way TJ could lead a game winning drive with the way he was playing yesterday. CBH should have too.

They were actually great calls, as I and many others on here have expressed.  High percentage passes that were open.  The players, both QB and WRs, just failed to execute. 

If we had called a run play on 3rd and 2, like you wanted it gets stuffed just like the last 3rd and 2 did when our olineman were a yard into our own backfield and the RB was hit by a defender two yards into the backfield.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

So you blame Harsin for calling good plays, that a player simply didn't execute?

It was a great call, the one after the pick. Wide open. Fooled the D.

I'm not going to blame a coach for that. It also is a way for Harsin to put Finley in those situations to see if he can perform.

It was a dang nothing bowl game...I'm not going to worry about certain play calls.

I thought Harsin called a really good game considering he had to take over after letting Bobo go. The only really bad call I remember is the jet sweep with Shenker. Not sure he's the right kind of athlete to run that near the goal line. A more athletic TE like King, yes.

On the last drive. Even with 2 yards to go, let's say Tank makes the first down. We still have 65 yards to go to win the game. Finley is going to have to pass.

And since Harsin called pass plays, the one to Tank was open. the ones to Hudson were open. Just poor execution when we needed it most.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Everybody gets better with a good O-line!!  Until that gets addressed. Nothing changes. Period!!!  Praying Harsin understands that. 

I hope he does too. It’s been frustrating not seeing any changes in recruiting for the OLine but I got faith he will clean it up in the transfer portal. We need guys who are ready to go right now anyways. IMO Harsin lives or dies by how he addresses the OLine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

22 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Did you not see several TB screen plays?   There was several tight-end throws.   When did Gus ever do that?  Seriously, if you can’t tell the difference in play calls you just refuse to look.  

We scored 6 less points per game against SEC opponents than in 2020 (22 vs 28).  Let that sink in.   We fired Gus because we couldn't score and win in our conference.  We had 2 games of pretty good scheming and Oplay calling...I don't get how we went so far backwards from where we were in that stretch...all I know is what I saw yesterday was more like the crappy stretch of the season than when we beat LSU or Arky...if that is Harsins vision (Bobo had nothing to do with yesterday), we will struggle for 3 or 4 years until his replacement is hired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, japantiger said:

We scored 6 less points per game against SEC opponents than in 2020 (22 vs 28).  Let that sink in.   We fired Gus because we couldn't score and win in our conference.  We had 2 games of pretty good scheming and Oplay calling...I don't get how we went so far backwards from where we were in that stretch...all I know is what I saw yesterday was more like the crappy stretch of the season than when we beat LSU or Arky...if that is Harsins vision (Bobo had nothing to do with yesterday), we will struggle for 3 or 4 years until his replacement is hired.

Imagine how yesterday's game would have looked with a QB that completes those wide open passes and an oline that can get a push on 3rd and 2.  Now once you have that firmly in your mind realize that, that production is Harsin's vision for the offense.

22 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I do not find that very comforting.....

Don't take it as a bad thing...

I appreciate him being honest. And when you think about it, it makes sense. He never encountered the type of players, the type of coaches on offense and defense he had to go up against up in the mountain states.

The way the south is deeply serious about its football, and the money spent to have the best coaches in the country, probably made Harsin sit up and educate himself so much more on how to build a winning program in the greatest conference in the country.

Now if you mean, it worries you bc we hired a guy who now has to learn how to compete differently, I can understand that.

But if he has a core structure that builds a winner, then we have to see how his plan goes here on out.

I'm ready to admit Landen King is a stud. He barely gets in from what I can tell, and all he does is make plays. I hope to see a lot of him in this offense next season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Don't take it as a bad thing...

I appreciate him being honest. And when you think about it, it makes sense. He never encountered the type of players, the type of coaches on offense and defense he had to go up against up in the mountain states.

The way the south is deeply serious about its football, and the money spent to have the best coaches in the country, probably made Harsin sit up and educate himself so much more on how to build a winning program in the greatest conference in the country.

Now if you mean, it worries you bc we hired a guy who now has to learn how to compete differently, I can understand that.

But if he has a core structure that builds a winner, then we have to see how his plan goes here on out.

That was my argument against the hire in the first place. Did he really understand the task at hand. Also how can a person do something that they have never done before. Boise didn’t need to be rebuilt.

However, a person is capable of doing anything with training and time. The question is how much time will be given to learn

12 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

You're 100% correct on this. Urban Meyer had only coached at Bowling Green and Utah (back when they were still a Group of 5 school) when he got the Florida job in 2005. His 1st year at Florida he won 8 or 9 games and his 2nd year he won the National Title. He had never coached in the southeast as an assistant coach either so he didn't know the southeast region at all but he still made it work. 

It's never as good as it looks but it's also never as bad as it looks. WDE

Urban was the hottest coaching prospect in the nation in December 2004. Utah wasn't exactly Kansas when Meyer got there, but here's quick look at how they were in the years before. He completely elevated them to an unprecedented level. Also, before that, Bowling Green hadn't had a winning season in six years when he got there. The modern equivalent would be Fickell.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

So now we are switching from scheme to points scored?   I didn’t know we had switched to that.   That’s a different discussion.   Was auburn not scoring enough points?  Of course not and it’s not even debatable.   That falls under a variety of issues; poor execution, poor play calls, lack of talent, bad luck, untimely penalties and on and on.   

This is just a hypothetical question but what do you think Auburn’s record would have been if Bryce Young, Matt Corral, Max Johnson, Stetson Bennett, JT Danials or the QB from Miss State were the QB at Auburn?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Also, I hate to keep dwelling on this, but the statistical ranking was just too good to not share. Check out where Auburn ranks in Total Offense and who that team is just ahead of us. 

26F2427F-50EB-46A6-8446-9D39DB51A97D.jpeg

That makes sense to me. One team is completely influenced by his players, one is completely influenced by the man himself. Both turn out to be mediocre

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DAG said:

That’s my frustration as well. Losing games we aren’t suppose to lose. That is what kind of scares me. The positive is we were legitimately competitive in every game . The negative is the inability to convert some of those to wins , which BTW, some fans from his previous stint has said that can be problematic with him. We need to get past that stage 

It takes time to learn how to win games, especially when you don't have the depth to compete for 4 full quarters.

8 hours ago, Didba said:

You guys do know that we would've been blown out under Gus in at least one game against a rival looking very uncompetitive, it happened almost every year in his tenure. Now Harsin has us competitive in every game and yall are roasting him because we were so close to winning every game but fell short for want of a better QB/Oline. We are so close.

I agree, we moved in the right direction this year. When reflecting over this year, people need to look at the product rather than the results.  A close, hard fought loss is much better than what we've been conditioned to accept.

7 hours ago, 1716AU said:

You actually think we looked good against LSU?

Not good, but finding ways to win, especially in a hostile environment, is a really difficult thing to do 

We looked much different throughout the season, just as we did throughout individual games. The lack of depth allowed us to get worn down and lose games late, just as our injuries that had a huge impact on the season couldn't be overcome. Lack of depth influenced this season tremendously.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

It takes time to learn how to win games, especially when you don't have the depth to compete for 4 full quarters.

I agree, we moved in the right direction this year. When reflecting over this year, people need to look at the product rather than the results.  A close, hard fought loss is much better than what we've been conditioned to accept.

Not good, but finding ways to win, especially in a hostile environment, is a really difficult thing to do 

We looked much different throughout the season, just as we did throughout individual games. The lack of depth allowed us to get worn down and lose games late, just as our injuries that had a huge impact on the season couldn't be overcome. Lack of depth influenced this season tremendously.

You and your common sense crap! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2021 at 4:43 PM, AUght2win said:

What does a rebuild have to do with clock management and play calling? 

We blew 28-0 against MSU, we blew 14-0 against USC, we blew 10-0 against Alabama. We blew another late lead today. 

All these late leads we built. They couldn't have happened without talent. If you have the talent to lead, you have the talent to win. This isn't about talent. Tired of hearing that.

You, sir, are one of the ones with whom is spoke of. I rarely see anything positive from you. You are what is called a fair weather fan.  

• Like 1

I was one of the biggest anti-Gus posters on here but to pretend like Harsin inherited a horrible situation and that Gus left the cupboard bare is nothing but an excuse. Outside of the O-line, we have talent. We have more than adequate talent to compete in the SEC. We wouldn't have lead Bama for 59 minutes if our talent level was that depleted. I don't get how some on here have made our talent out to be similar to Missouri or something. It's absurd.

Sam Pittman inherited a dumpster fire at Arkansas. They didn't win an SEC game for almost 3 years before he got there. This is Pittman's 2nd year but he's already got them to an 8-4 record. They used a transfer QB last year, Felipe Franks. Even though they finished 3-7, they were a much better team last year than they were under Chad Morris. This year the QB they've got is KJ Jefferson, a QB that Pittman inherited from Morris. He's won this year with a lot of Morris's players. Arkansas is far less talented than we are. They play in the SEC West like us, but they've got a better record than we do. Pittman has done more with less in the same division as Harsin.

Edited by Auburnfan91
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

You, sir, are one of the ones with whom is spoke of. I rarely see anything positive from you. You are what is called a fair weather fan.  

He is the type I refer to when I say they don't know

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

You agreeing with 91?

I agree that outside of the OL we have talent.  Some areas deeper than others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1