Coach Derek Mason out?

Tony4AU

8 minutes ago, Didba said:

Yeah, it was a pretty egregious misquote, hopefully unintentional.

I hope this is sarcasm. Please explain the difference between your correction and what I said.

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

Don’t know if this applies with regard to our HC or not but….

107035EF-60A1-4000-BCC0-83E11C6A6024.jpeg

Applies to our many wonderful AUFam personalities for sure.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I'd say the same to CDM as AU should have said to Gus after the 2017 season. "We'd love for you to stay here and coach but if you want to go somewhere else.....Good luck, God bless you and see ya later."  If you're not dedicated to your job, it's time to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I liked the job Mason was doing, so I’d like him to stay.

On the other hand, I knew when we hired him he wouldn’t be here long.

He’s looking to be a HC again I’m sure.

So,regardless of why he’s leaving, we would be replacing him sooner rather than later 

Edited by Bro Johnny Mac
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

The thing about tough love is it only works if you are successful. People really only put up with abrasive attitudes if it breeds success E.G. Michael Jordan, Greg Pop, Bill Belichik, Kobe Bryant, Nick Saban. CBH can have it his way but we need results.

Prime example Coach Singletary

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The thing about tough love is it only works if you are successful. People really only put up with abrasive attitudes if it breeds success E.G. Michael Jordan, Greg Pop, Bill Belichik, Kobe Bryant, Nick Saban. CBH can have it his way but we need results.

This is my biggest concern right now. That hardass mindset is great, with results. No results? Things implode with a quickness.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 2

Coach mason fan but I wasn’t happy with the way our defense played most of the season. But good luck to him, seems to be a decent person. War Eagle 

18 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I hope this is sarcasm. Please explain the difference between your correction and what I said.

well the difference is you left out the second half of MikeG's statement where he stated the look wasn't good for Kobe or the current players in the video.  

You included the partial quote without the rest of the statement, leaving it open ended and ambiguous as to who Kobe's IG video was a bad look for. 

Edited by Didba

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

JHoke just said that per his sources, MAson Gone. Schmedding to DC, and Crob to LBs coach pretty much done deal.

Very disappointing.

• Like 1

Go coach Harsin do it your way please. 2024 bowl game will be the judge for me. Please give us consistent performance and a genuine shot at a championship every 3-4 years would be excellent. 

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

well the difference is you left out the second half of MikeG's statement where he stated the look wasn't good for Kobe or the current players in the video.  

You included the partial quote without the rest of the statement, leaving it open ended and ambiguous as to who Kobe's IG video was a bad look for. 

Well news flash, it isn't a good look for anybody. The headline was that the IG live happened and current players were on it. MikeG's subjective assessment of who it makes look bad, the part I "misquoted", is just a footnote. 

The fact that it happened is what is concerning. 

The offense is likely to be hot garbage for the next couple of years with one of the worst offensive lines in the SEC thinning out even more for 2023. The one bright spot was the prospect of a stellar defense. This hurts. There is no spinning this otherwise.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I liked the job Mason was doing, so I’d like him to stay.

On the other hand, I knew when we hired him he wouldn’t be here long.

He’s looking to be a HC again I’m sure.

So,regardless of why he’s leaving, we would be replacing him sooner rather than later 

But the signal this sends is horrible. Leaving Auburn for a less than lateral move? Add that to the huge player exodus and portal failures? Idk man.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Well news flash, it isn't a good look for anybody. The headline was that the IG live happened and current players were on it. MikeG's subjective assessment of who it makes look bad, the part I "misquoted", is just a footnote. 

The fact that it happened is what is concerning. 

I am not debating any of that, all I did was clarify the quote a bit more for the people who are not gonna go watch the video.  No harm, no foul in having the full quote in here.

• Like 1

Question is if CRob is in the same ballpark with Mason as a recruiter. We know Schmedding isn't. That said, he does seem like a smart coach. Just because he's from out west doesn't mean he can't scheme

44 minutes ago, Taco said:

Sorry but Cole is right. This is an idiotic rumor that’s been bubbling on auburn Twitter and Reddit. 

If Mason does have a “fickle ego” you think he would have waited 2 months before saying I’m out after getting disrespected like that? Hell, why would anyone take 2 months to leave after being told this isn't your job anymore and my buddy from Boise is calling the shots. 

Sometimes it’s simple to just see the situation as it is. 

Once again. I never said he didn't coach or quit coaching or whatever. I simply said it's possible he had more input from assistants in the IB or some other game for that matter, than he wanted. It's also possible he devised each game plan all by himself with no input from assistants whatsoever.  It's possible Harsin ticked him off over it. It's also possible Mason hates living in Auburn and doesn't agree with the pregame meal menu and just wants out. I have no idea and no one on here does either. But to totally dismiss the chance that Harsin has done something to tick Mason off is naive thinking. 

• Thanks 1

Why assume the defense will be worse? Same players. Was mason so good that the coaching drop off would be significant? Real question and not trying to stir the pot 

• Like 2

Just now, shabby said:

The offense is likely to be hot garbage for the next couple of years with one of the worst offensive lines in the SEC thinning out even more for 2023. The one bright spot was the prospect of a stellar defense. This hurts. There is no spinning this otherwise.

I am withholding judgement or feelings until I see how this impacts our roster. If we start seeing a mass exodus of defensive players I am going to get really really concerned. Until then I am not sweating it too badly. I always figured Mason's time here would be short. If both sides aren't happy then it is for the best, really. 

I personally think CDM did an excellent job for the most part and I would have liked him to stay. With that said, everyone here pretty much knew who was going to be our next DC since last spring. It's just coming a year or so sooner than most expected. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am withholding judgement or feelings until I see how this impacts our roster. If we start seeing a mass exodus of defensive players I am going to get really really concerned. Until then I am not sweating it too badly. I always figured Mason's time here would be short. If both sides aren't happy then it is for the best, really. 

I personally think CDM did an excellent job for the most part and I would have liked him to stay. With that said, everyone here pretty much knew who was going to be our next DC since last spring. It's just coming a year or so sooner than most expected. 

yeah if all our defensive players leave after this it will be very very concerning. I thought we'd have mason for maybe two years. hoping for three.  the lateral move to a shat school hurts.

Things have really changed with Auburn football if Harsin is able to survive the number of years it’s going to take him to build something of this mess of a program…some of it being his own making, it would appear.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

But the signal this sends is horrible. Leaving Auburn for a less than lateral move? Add that to the huge player exodus and portal failures? Idk man.

I guess he’s going to sink or swim by doing things his way, including his staff. To early to tell how it’s going to shake out. 
I still think Harsin will turn it around 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

JHoke just said that per his sources, MAson Gone. Schmedding to DC, and Crob to LBs coach pretty much done deal.

This should help bring the defensive recruiting down to the offensive recruiting level.

• Haha 4