All Things Fall Camp Thread

toddc

Apparently Geriner was phenomenal today. Was throwing darts. Harsin heaped praise on him and said he was the best QB out there. 

*editing to tag @abw0004 the conductor of the Geriner train.

Edited by au302
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Everyone making a big deal about Jeremiah Wright but he was the one that made the switch back and forth. Must see more opportunity on the Oline. We need it that's for sure.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, au302 said:

Apparently Geriner was phenomenal today. Was throwing darts. Harsin heaped praise on him and said he was the best QB out there. 

*editing to tag @abw0004 the conductor of the Geriner train.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s obvious who the best QB on the roster is. I brought this up the other day. Harsin doesn’t want a true freshman QB to save his job but the other QB’s on the roster just aren’t that good. Everybody knows Geriner is the future but he’s probably the now too

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Future is bright. 😆 Wonder if Hars let's his backups throw the ball in the game...

Uh ooooh…..

Just lookin’ to start something, aintcha!?!

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It’s obvious who the best QB on the roster is. I brought this up the other day. Harsin doesn’t want a true freshman QB to save his job but the other QB’s on the roster just aren’t that good. Everybody knows Geriner is the future but he’s probably the now too

giphy.gif

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Bo is gone... Finley will start.... 1st sign of adversity and Cats on here will be calling for Ashford or Gernier... The more things change... the more they stay the same...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

giphy.gif

I’m not too impressed with Calzada or TJ and I’ve been saying that. Hopefully TJ or whoever kills it and they make me eat my words as the starting QB but personally I just don’t see it

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

The way I see it, at least it wold give Harsin peace of mind. He won't have to wonder what if I didn't start Finley and started my hand-picked QB. Sort of like the failed SEC retread coordinators he hired. He decided if he was gonna get fired, it was gonna be with the coordinators he got here with, and made the switch. Start Geriner and live with the consequences. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

After that quote from Harson, I wonder why he does not get more first team reps? It’s not like there is a ton of talent in front of him. Just play the best quarterback Regardless of age. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Hope there is video. 

Asked and answered!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

After that quote from Harson, I wonder why he does not get more first team reps? It’s not like there is a ton of talent in front of him. Just play the best quarterback Regardless of age. 

Idk, maybe Harsin is just trying to keep both Geriner, TJ and Ashford motivated to compete thru camp and into the season.  Or maybe he's got a great arm but just isn't ready to lead. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Why wouldn’t want the guy he recruited to save his job? Sorry but that just doesn’t make sense. Best QB that knows the offense and doesn’t turn the ball over will be out there week one.

8 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Why wouldn’t want the guy he recruited to save his job? Sorry but that just doesn’t make sense. Best QB that knows the offense and doesn’t turn the ball over will be out there week one.

Harsin said Geriner hasn’t got the same amount of reps the other QB’s have got this preseason. How is he gone know who the best is if he’s not playing all the QB’s?

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Bo is gone... Finley will start.... 1st sign of adversity and Cats on here will be calling for Ashford or Gernier... The more things change... the more they stay the same...

You mean to tell me they're not doing that already?!😅 The season hasn't even started yet and fanatics are ready to jump off a cliff.

16 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

7 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Harsin said Geriner hasn’t got the same amount of reps the other QB’s have got this preseason. How is he gone know who the best is if he’s not playing all the QB’s?

This is just ONE PRACTICE. HG may have the highest ceiling of the other QBs. He may be the most accurate, BUT he doesn't give us the best chance to WIN and for CBH to keep his job. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

This is just ONE PRACTICE. HG may have the highest ceiling of the other QBs. He may be the most accurate, BUT he doesn't give us the best chance to WIN and for CBH to keep his job. 

Guys get so reactive after a quote. We have no idea who he is doing this against in the scrimmage or practice , if it is situational 7 on 7, etc.

it’s great to see progress but fans need to realize this is an controlled environment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's probably clear who the best QB out there is (Gernier). Problem is that he is a true freshman and likely does not have complete grasp of the offense or playbook.  He also has not faced a college defense yet but rather been in a controlled environment in practices.  I am sure he will be in the thick of the QB race next off season but unfortunately, still a year early.  Would I love it, yes.  Is it the smart thing to do, maybe not.  We will most likely get TJ named as the starter but at least one of ZC or RA (maybe both) could see some action in the first two games to see how they handle game situations and perform under pressure.  I am hoping that TJ has improved a lot from last season.  I am also hopeful that the OC can step up and provide better protection.  Only time will tell.  As an Auburn fan, I am going to get behind whichever QB is trotted out on the field.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

There’s a set number of practices with a set number of reps. Getting quality reps for 3 QBs is challenging. It’s almost impossible to do with 4 in the mix. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, au302 said:

The way I see it, at least it wold give Harsin peace of mind. He won't have to wonder what if I didn't start Finley and started my hand-picked QB. Sort of like the failed SEC retread coordinators he hired. He decided if he was gonna get fired, it was gonna be with the coordinators he got here with, and made the switch. Start Geriner and live with the consequences. 

I just don't see ANY coach in the SEC or anywhere else NOT starting the QB that gives him the best chance to win. This ain't the NFL (yet) where the owner demands that the coach play the #1 draft pick because of the money and the coach has no choice but to risk ruining the players career. This argument was hard to take when Dye was coach, and it's not any more wrong now. When Geriner beats out the others, he will start. He throws a great ball, but Daniel Cobb did ,too. Often to the wrong team. 

I do think he's the QB of the future, if he grasps the mental part. He's got the physical tools now. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

...Bryan Harsin called him "one of the best throwers I've coached"

shaq-shimmy.gif 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

1) He's a freshman.  2) There's already 3 guys sharing reps.

Harsin priortizes game management ("leadership").  I think he's right.

If Geriner sees the field this year it will be because the situation is very  good or very bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

This is how I've interpreted the HG situation throughout camp. May be completely off. I think he was given a chance and was getting equal reps the first week of camp or so. They realized he needs time, and thus got less reps.

But then the last week, and especially today, HG threw them a curveball. Something "clicked", as Harsin said in his presser. Well, reportedly he's taken big strides the past week to the point that Hokes sources are saying that he's been one of the top 2 QB's lately.

Is this late push enough to change the race this late? Probably not. But I do think it's not too late for him to pass Calzada and/or Ashford and be in line for serious reps against Mercer. If that happens, anything can happen.

• Like 1