BREAKING: Calzada done for the season

TAYLORKEETON

• TAYLORKEETON changed the title to BREAKING: Calzada done for the season

How the hell did we from discussing him playing last week to season ending surgery this week?! Now we're left with one qb with 3 games experience and one with ZERO game experience! 2 Men and a Truck should just park outside Hars' mansion at this point!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Good for him. Prioritize yourself especially in a bleak season and offensive line that we have. I would be heading to the transfer portal if I was him. The next coach won’t be keeping him around I bet as well. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Considering this injury came from swinging a tennis racquet, how healthy could he have been?  It has also been speculated that he could play since it is his non throwing shoulder and has elected to have surgery to get the med redshirt.   But hey, you do you.  Does he lose his scholarship since this was done off the playing field?  NO wonder Harsin refuses to answer any questions about the QB's.   

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I wonder which of our players will sit out the bowl game this yr 

Bold to presume we will make a bowl game...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Auburn QB Zach Calzada to undergo surgery, miss remainder of season

13 minutes ago

The availability of experience in Auburn's quarterback room has dwindled significantly this week.

Sources close to the situation informed Auburn Undercover on Thursday that reserve quarterback Zach Calzada will undergo surgery later this month on his non-throwing shoulder and is expected to miss the remainder of the 2022 season. The Texas A&M transfer will seek a medical redshirt.

Justin Hokanson of Auburn Live first reported the news.

After starting 10 games at Texas A&M last year, Calzada transferred to Auburn in January, though he sat out all of spring practice while recovering from a shoulder issue. He was beaten out in preseason camp by T.J. Finley for the starting job, and Oregon transfer Robby Ashford for the No. 2 spot. Calzada did not appear in Auburn's first three games of the season.

On Tuesday, Auburn Undercover reported that Finley will miss at least Saturday's game against Missouri with a shoulder injury of his own, suffered against Penn State. Ashford is expected to start, and sources told Auburn Undercover this week that true freshman Holden Geriner could also see some playing time.

7COMMENTS

When asked at his Monday press conference Monday whether Calzada is healthy enough to play and be available against Missouri, Harsin first quipped with "you know something I don't?" before declaring the transfer quarterback and former SEC West starter is "competing like everybody else."

Ashford led Auburn on its only touchdown drive in the fourth quarter in a 41-12 loss to Penn State, and is completing 51.7 percent of his passes on the year, with one touchdown and two picks. He's also given the Tigers a dual-threat element in the ground game, currently second on the team with 158 yards

Harsin is a bum.  Dead man walking. 

ZC understands this is a dead year.  I'd be shocked if we don't see other kids starting to bail.  Tank being one especially, just hang it up after Harsin is fired and get ready for the draft.

Lot of people will hem and haw about quitting, but it's a business.  

• Like 1

Didn't Harsin say just days ago that,,, he wasn't aware of any medical issues with Calzada ?

Oh well.  I actually have faith in Robby.  I don't have faith in the OL or the play calling.

12 minutes ago, aublue88 said:

Considering this injury came from swinging a tennis racquet, how healthy could he have been?  It has also been speculated that he could play since it is his non throwing shoulder and has elected to have surgery to get the med redshirt.   But hey, you do you.  Does he lose his scholarship since this was done off the playing field?  NO wonder Harsin refuses to answer any questions about the QB's.   

Its pretty clear to me why Harsin has not addressed this openly, trying not to throw him under the bus. We are in about same situation as last year when Bo got hurt. I believe RA will play at least as well as TJ did last 3 games last year with what I believe is much better back up in Geriner.

• Like 2