The word on the Search

ellitor

I don't think its an embarasment to be seriously talking about almost all the names on the list, with the exception of Petrino. Mainly because it smacks of desperation, and a particularly pathetic desperation at that. He is a great coach but not for us. I think that if Patterson, Peterson, & Strong are out then Kirby Smart is the best option. He doesn't have the HC experience but that is much less of a concern with him than the others because of the track record of former Saban Assistants (Sweeny, Muschamp, Fisher). Gus would be fine but I think the discipline issues along with the inexperience should probably keep him out of serious contention unless we do not have an option. The major issue that I see with Smart is that he runs a 3-4 system and we do not have enough quality LBs to have any depth. Although, I wonder if Lenonier or Ford would be able to play hybrid LB/DE Jack position. Also we do not have a NT of sufficient heft to be effective on the line, so it might take a couple of years to get the right personel into his system and I do not think the fan base has the patients for that with Bama doing so well. I think we should go with someone with proven HC experience but if we take a chance on an unproven commodity, then Smart is the least dangerous hire we could make from the lists that I have seen.

Smart could and probably would run something s little more in line with the strength of the players. You have to remember he is the DC at bsma but the defense is sabans. He has to run what the HC wants him too as far as overall scheme.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus would most likely be boom goes the dynamite along with the very last shred of respect our program has at least we could start over from scratch next hire.

Well as much as we love to hate him..Boom is doing a decent turnaround at Florida..and he was "just" a Defensive Corrdinator 2 years ago. Food for thought.

Boom did awful his first year (w/ great talent) until he hired Brent Pease at o.c. which brings me back to my point that I believe Auburn should focus first on a coach with an offensive philosophy (Petrino, Patterson, Malzahn) that will get us touch downs and let BVG build up the defense. Chizik, Smart & Muschamp are close to equals with Smart being the least proven. Sal Sunseri, Kevin Steele should cause us to be cautious with Kirby imo.

This thread has really disapponted me. Typical........ The more this drags out the more sick I get about it.

How can this thread make you feel better?

I'm sure this thread would like to do so.

Gus would most likely be boom goes the dynamite along with the very last shred of respect our program has at least we could start over from scratch next hire.

Man what a comedian....peforming at fantasy land again?

UPDATE

The rumors circulating of Smart to Auburn as HC being a done deal are not true. Is he picking up steam and looking very good? Yes. Is it done? No. This was seconded by JGT FWIW. There was some credible info posted and people let their imaginations run with it in saying it was a done deal. There are still people that strongly believe Petrino will get an interview but that remains to be seen...And no there have been no secret contacts or interviews with him.

Well as much as we love to hate him..Boom is doing a decent turnaround at Florida..and he was "just" a Defensive Corrdinator 2 years ago. Food for thought.

Boom did awful his first year (w/ great talent) until he hired Brent Pease at o.c. which brings me back to my point that I believe Auburn should focus first on a coach with an offensive philosophy (Petrino, Patterson, Malzahn) that will get us touch downs and let BVG build up the defense. Chizik, Smart & Muschamp are close to equals with Smart being the least proven. Sal Sunseri, Kevin Steele should cause us to be cautious with Kirby imo.

That's exactly what I've been saying. ..football has changed even in pros... you don't have to have a great d but a good one but no matter what you have to put up the points

Man what a comedian....peforming at fantasy land again?

People love to throw dirt on Malzahn but I am willing to stand by him and say that he is a damn good coach and by all accounts the stats would back it up. However, I would like to see us grab Bobby Petrino or Patterson.

Colin Cowherd did a bit on good coordinators make the head coach. There is a full list of schools that crashed and burned when the coordinators left. So with that said it will be the team of coaches not the head coach that will define the success of the team.

Another great point

Colin Cowherd did a bit on good coordinators make the head coach. There is a full list of schools that crashed and burned when the coordinators left. So with that said it will be the team of coaches not the head coach that will define the success of the team.

UPDATE

The rumors circulating of Smart to Auburn as HC being a done deal are not true. Is he picking up steam and looking very good? Yes. Is it done? No. This was seconded by JGT FWIW. There was some credible info posted and people let their imaginations run with it in saying it was a done deal. There are still people that strongly believe Petrino will get an interview but that remains to be seen...And no there have been no secret contacts or interviews with him.

Thanks. Any word on the Patterson to Auburn as HC rumor?

Colin Cowherd did a bit on good coordinators make the head coach. There is a full list of schools that crashed and burned when the coordinators left. So with that said it will be the team of coaches not the head coach that will define the success of the team constant turnover.

I absolutely agree, with the exception being Alabama. That school goes through coordinators but then again when you have nfl talent on both sides of the ball you can maintain.

Look at Auburn, crashed after Tommy Bowden left, after BP left 1st time, after Borges left and after Gus left. Directly influenced 1998,2003,2008 and 2012. Okay 1998 is a bit of stretch.

??????????????

Aight E...

IF we settle for on of the "unprovens" (and that's a big IF), would you think that K. Smart would be the better candidate? I sure as heck would...!!!

I do because I trust Coach Dye's opinion on coaches. He looks at Smart to Saban a lot like him under Bear Bryant. When we hired Chiz in 2008 Dye wanted Muschamp , which we now see would have been a great choice, but Jacobs wanted Chizik. When Jacobs picked Chiz Dye backed Jacobs for support.

I really question what you are saying. I was with Dye at his hunting preserve in 2006 and he was gushing over Chiz. There is little doubt in my mind he was the big push behind hiring Chiz. A buddy of my was hunting with him (Dye) just before Chiz was hired and Dye was as excied as he could be about what was soon to be announced. If we hire Smart all can know that nothing has changed at Auburn, and we will see the same result minus the NC.

Believe what you want. It came from someone closer to Dye than a hunting buddy.

UPDATE

Thanks. Any word on the Patterson to Auburn as HC rumor?

This is what I think the Patterson buzz is really about:

http://www.frogsowar.com/2012/12/3/3723888/rumor-contract-extension-and-raise-in-place-for-gary-patterson

Shoring up his current gig while he gets the talent to compete in the Big 12.

I think the AU faithful needs to start to get on board with the Smart hire... I think he is the only candidate, so far, that hasn't COMPLETELY divided the fan base... BP has, Gus has, and even Gary Patterson has... Let's let this thing play out. I'm starting to think this could be good!

Remeber, I have been someone wanting a "homerun hire" from the get go... but out of everybody else, Kirby could do some good things for AU... WDE We shall see!

Yes and it was his defense. ...with smart we just don't know bc saban calls the shots... you all should know this

Not as much as people think.

I don't see Chad Morris leaving Clemson unless it's a HC position. He already makes a ton and is one of the highest paid OC's in the country. It's not like we are gonna double his salary. I imagine he'll get a HC gig sooner than later anyways.

Archived