Terry Beasley

Bottomfeeder

Can we find some video of Terry's glory days at AU? he was my hero too.

Terry Beasley

My father was speechless when I read him just a few responses (allowing him a sneak-peak of his birthday present), because he had just had surgery on his mouth, again (it is not very serious, fwiw). My family is so blown away by this support, yet I would like to ask even more of my Auburn family.. As there is no video footage of my father's glory days, I am always haunted by not being able to show my neices and nefews what their grandfather did, and where he came from. If I could arrange for my father to be at a game this season with myself and the lucky fan, get someone to put together or find a highlight tape of him? I'd also like to add that I will try to get as many people as I can to help tailgate, as he barely makes ANY games these days (yet watches every one). His health and comfort level will determine what game, etc. We can choose the winner by an Auburn family online poll afterward.... Does this sound reasonable? I just want to give-back to such loyal great people, while helping my amazing dad one more time. War Eagle and God Bless you all!!!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=496276197081999&id=101625703213719

Here's what I have found so far.

I would think that the University probably has tons of video. The family should contact the Athletic Department. Right now may be a good time for the Athletic Department to dig this footage out and put something together for the family.

I messaged Terry Henley on his FB page, but I'm not sure what he can do.

Mr. Henley is a great guy. I have no doubt that he will flip backwards to help anyway that he can.

"Look out folks cause Beasley's not down yet"

Spent half my childhood trying to reproduce his patented over the shoulder catch.

Thats damn right Mikey!

Little doc

"Look out folks cause Beasley's not down yet"

Spent half my childhood trying to reproduce his patented over the shoulder catch.

Thats damn right Mikey!

Little doc

You and me both. I could never do it. I always ended up running sideways.

I feel sorry for every Auburn fan who wasn't watching Sullivan to Beasley with the wide-eyed wonder of an 8 year old boy. It was the greatest thing I'd ever seen. They were heros, gods, they were who you pretended to be and who you wanted to be when you grew up. Heck, they are still who I want to be.

This one is the 1971 All-American Team with Bob Hope:

40-plus years later, my two favorite numbers are still 7 and 88. I, too, was a wide eyed 8-year-old trying to emulate both of these Auburn icons. I still to this day cannot figure out how Beasley made those over the shoulder catches without having eyes in the back of his head. It is almost as if he and Sullivan had some telepathic link. I appreciate Cam Newton for what he did for Auburn, but to me he will never hold the sway of Beasley, Sullivan and Bo Jackson.

I will never forget the Florida game of his sophomore season. My local press was about John Reeves and Carlos Alvarez. My family was surrounded by Gator fans in the end zone. Our Tigers DESTROYED the Gators 62-7. I have never seen an offense operate that efficiently since.

I will never forget the Florida game of his sophomore season. My local press was about John Reeves and Carlos Alvarez. My family was surrounded by Gator fans in the end zone. Our Tigers DESTROYED the Gators 62-7. I have never seen an offense operate that efficiently since.

My sweetie and I was at that game. Most fun I ever had! Sullivan and Beasley were an amazing duo.

Are you speaking of the 1970 game? Auburn won 63-14 and it was the Gators homecoming. James Owens had a punt return for a TD that day.

Are you speaking of the 1970 game? Auburn won 63-14 and it was the Gators homecoming. James Owens had a punt return for a TD that day.

Yep. We had it workin' that day. Alvin Bressler played a big part too. Nationally, it was thought that Auburn had the fastest team speed in the country and I wouldn't argue with that.

I used to will forever love the way Beasley would catch balls coming in right over his head.

Fixed it for all of us old enough to know!

192822.JPG

I suppose that sometime in his three varsity years Beasley must have actually dropped a pass. I just can't recall a drop. I do recall a bunch of catches with DB's hanging all over him, a bunch of sensational catches over the head and otherwise, but never a drop.

I used to love the way Beasley would catch balls coming in right over his head.

192822.JPG

That's my favorite memory, too. The legend has it that Terry and Pat would get together (maybe Birmingham, maybe Montgomery, maybe elsewhere) and run those long pass plays and that that may have happened before they even got to Auburn. Whether true or just myth I believe thay had to have worked on those magical plays to the point of perfection.

I used to love the way Beasley would catch balls coming in right over his head.

192822.JPG

That's my favorite memory, too. The legend has it that Terry and Pat would get together (maybe Birmingham, maybe Montgomery, maybe elsewhere) and run those long pass plays and that that may have happened before they even got to Auburn. Whether true or just myth I believe thay had to have worked on those magical plays to the point of perfection.

They did work on that type of play some but I would say not as much as some would think. The only time they got to together before Auburn was the North/South All Star game played at Denny Stadium. While being recruited they did talk alot about playing together. Their personalities were somewhat opposite of each other. Pat outgoing/confident/ and serious...Terry more to himself/confident with a little chip on his shoulder. If he like you he was the best if he did not like you.. well just leave him alone.

There were other receivers who Sullivan threw short passes to, but most of his long balls seemed to go to Beasley. I think, over 3 seasons, Beasley averaged between 17-18 yards per reception. One year he averaged over 20 yards per catch.

BTW -- those two clips were fun to watch. I love those classic Auburn uniforms.

Archived