2013 Depth Chart & Coaching Staff (Updated: 5/14/14)

WarEagleAU

I would put money on Carl Lawson and Montravious Adams starting from day one, especially Adams, we don't have anybody on the line who is even close to his athleticism and size and the DL guys don't have any complex responsibilities in CEJs system from what I understand. That and I think all of the Jucos will be in the 2 deep. Either Cam Artis Payne or Peyton ?Barber will be a starter as power back, probably Artis-Payne. I think Nick Marshall will also be a starter at either QB or CB and Jason Smith will be in the three deep at QB or in the two deep in the Slot or Split End. I hope we can afford to RS J Johnson because once he puts on some weight he will be amazing in CGMs system and it would be nice to have him as long as possible.

Only if I was a betting man! Both Lawson and Adams are very talented but dominating under sized high school opponents and a few camps don't equate to immediately starting on the college level. Don't be suprised if the same players from last years disappointing team appear to the dominating players they were expected to be.

I think Lawson has the talent to start game 1. Nosa has never really impressed.

Adams I doubt starts, but Lawson has a shot, bc he is so strong and fast. Even if he doesn't start he will more than likely play on passing downs.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would put money on Carl Lawson and Montravious Adams starting from day one, especially Adams, we don't have anybody on the line who is even close to his athleticism and size and the DL guys don't have any complex responsibilities in CEJs system from what I understand. That and I think all of the Jucos will be in the 2 deep. Either Cam Artis Payne or Peyton ?Barber will be a starter as power back, probably Artis-Payne. I think Nick Marshall will also be a starter at either QB or CB and Jason Smith will be in the three deep at QB or in the two deep in the Slot or Split End. I hope we can afford to RS J Johnson because once he puts on some weight he will be amazing in CGMs system and it would be nice to have him as long as possible.

Only if I was a betting man! Both Lawson and Adams are very talented but dominating under sized high school opponents and a few camps don't equate to immediately starting on the college level. Don't be suprised if the same players from last years disappointing team appear to the dominating players they were expected to be.

I think Lawson has the talent to start game 1. Nosa has never really impressed.

Adams I doubt starts, but Lawson has a shot, bc he is so strong and fast. Even if he doesn't start he will more than likely play on passing downs.

Agree and agree. (picture-Dana Carvey dressed as an old woman) "Well...isn't that special?"

The OR indicates there is no starter yet...

OFFENSE

• Quarterback: Jonathan Wallace OR Kiehl Frazier
  • Running back: Tre Mason, Cameron Artis-Payne, Corey Grant
  • H-back: Jay Prosch, Ricky Parks
  • "X" receiver: Jaylon Denson, Sammie Coates
  • Slot receiver: Quan Bray, Corey Grant
  • Flanker: Trovon Reed, Ricardo Louis
  • "Y" receiver/tight end: C.J. Uzomah OR Brandon Fulse, Melvin Ray
  • Left Tackle: Greg Robinson, Shon Coleman
  • Left Guard: Alex Kozan, Devonte Danzey
  • Center: Reese Dismukes, Tunde Fariyike
  • Right Guard: Chad Slade, Jordan Diamond
  • Right Tackle: Patrick Miller, Avery Young

DEFENSE</p>

• Defensive end: Dee Ford, Craig Sanders
  • Defensive tackle: Gabe Wright, Angelo Blackson
  • Defensive tackle: Jeffrey Whitaker, Ben Bradley
  • Defensive end: Ken Carter, Nosa Eguae
  • "Mike" linebacker: Kris Frost, Jake Holland, LaDarius Owens
  • "Will" linebacker: Cassanova McKinzy, JaViere Mitchell, LaDarius Owens
  • "Star" hybrid: Justin Garrett, Robenson Therezie
  • Boundary Corner: Chris Davis, Ryan White
  • Field Cornerback: Jonathon Mincy, Jonathan Jones
  • Boundary Safety: Josh Holsey, Trent Fisher OR T.J. Davis*
  • Field Safety: Jermaine Whitehead, Ryan Smith

* Demetruce McNeal is back on the team and will get a chance in the fall, but Malzahn said he was not placed in the depth chart after missing the final five days.</p>

SPECIAL TEAMS

• Kicker: Cody Parkey
  • Punter: Steven Clark

What do you see that is good? bad?</p>

Nothing really unexpected. I am little surprised to see Trovon ahead of Ricardo Louis. I have just about turned the page on Trovon. He just refuses to turn up the field when he catches the ball. Just dances from side to side for 15 seconds. His speed is not nearly what I thought it was when he was coming in. Ricardo is a big physical runner who will be very difficult for corners to bring down.

Nothing really unexpected. I am little surprised to see Trovon ahead of Ricardo Louis. I have just about turned the page on Trovon. He just refuses to turn up the field when he catches the ball. Just dances from side to side for 15 seconds. His speed is not nearly what I thought it was when he was coming in. Ricardo is a big physical runner who will be very difficult for corners to bring down.

I look for Ricardo to move ahead of Trovon in the fall unless he really pours it on. RL may emerge as a great one very soon.

I agree on the Ricardo Louis/Trovon Reed competition. Trovon and Quan Bray have disappointed in terms of speed in my eyes. I thought they were going to be utilized like Percy Harvin type guys, but I don't think either of them have the speed to be utilized in that manner and be truly effective. I'd like to add Bray has contributed more than Reed to this point IMO. He has a flash of what he's capable of then he doesn't get the ball again. It seems Bray and Reed both don't fit in any one position. They seem to be stuck between WR/HB/Wildcat QB tweeners.

I agree on the Ricardo Louis/Trovon Reed competition. Trovon and Quan Bray have disappointed in terms of speed in my eyes. I thought they were going to be utilized like Percy Harvin type guys, but I don't think either of them have the speed to be utilized in that manner and be truly effective. I'd like to add Bray has contributed more than Reed to this point IMO. He has a flash of what he's capable of then he doesn't get the ball again. It seems Bray and Reed both don't fit in any one position. They seem to be stuck between WR/HB/Wildcat QB tweeners.

When has bray been given a chance to get the ball in open space?

I look for Ricardo to move ahead of Trovon in the fall unless he really pours it on. RL may emerge as a great one very soon.

Exactly what I was thinking. Would love to see Trovon step up this year, but I don't expect it.

When has bray been given a chance to get the ball in open space?

Bray had plenty of chances last year. I am trying to judge no one by last year though. I think he can have a breakout year. If your not fast enough to be a Person Harvey type, be a little better than a possession receiver then.

I'm really starting to like this defense, and think it will make us forget the disaster that was 2012.

I am not as confident about the offense. I think our OL and RBs will be great, but our QBs and WRs are big question marks. I am hoping CRL and CDC can work some magic in the passing game.

I'm really starting to like this defense, and think it will make us forget the disaster that was 2012.

I am not as confident about the offense. I think our OL and RBs will be great, but our QBs and WRs are big question marks. I am hoping CRL and CDC can work some magic in the passing game.

We don't need to ever forget 2012!! I know what you are saying and I agree but I want every player that was here to have bad dreams about 2012 and I want them to pass this on to the new guys as well!

NEVER AGAIN! :believe:

I also believe that with more consistency and better blocking skills that Louis will pass Reed in the Fall.

I expect a healthy Avery Young to win back that RT spot.

I hope that Whitehead and Holsey make great safeties. I thought both of them had a ton of potential at corner.

I am cautiously optimistic about the O and the D.

The D has raw talent. But 4 years of bad is hard to fix in one season.

I think the O will be better, not as much because of talent, but because we have some coaches who know how to get the most out of what they have.

+1. Agree.

• 4 weeks later...

+1. Agree.

agree on reed. I like bray's speed. Just rarely seem to get it to him in space with any room to move.

Louis will be hard to keep off the field. I think Sammie knows he has to put up results with the talent behind him as well. Uzomah will become a household name by mid season. I think it's obvious what Garret is capable of. Peyton Barber is somehow still being overlooked even among AU fans. Daniels will quietly have an impressive FR campaign as will Adams whom I now believe does play year one as well. Kris Frost and Mackinzy develop as well.

I hope you are right about barber. I am guilty of overlooking him.

He lifts with and competes against Carl Lawson in the weight room. (He is just as strong) Check out his HS film, and remember there is Div 1 talent on every team they faced. He was injured as a JR and had no camps nor highlight film going into his SR year of HS. Had he made the recruiting circuit as a JR he would be an upper end 4* IMO. Legit 4.5 as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated (6/15/13):

Jason Smith removed (Prep school)

Jersey number updated:

Nick Marshall - 14

Jeremy Johnson - 5

Dominic Walker - 3

Cameron Toney - 47

added Casey Woods, Director of Player Personnel

• 3 weeks later...

Updated (7/2/13):

Coaching staff contracts & support staffs updated.

P Jimmy Hutchinson added.

Archived