All things rankings

ellitor

I was talking to someone about this recently. It is important to have highly skilled guys at certain positions in order to win. But as I think we are seeing at Bama, much like USCw prior to them, you CAN have too many 5*'s, and a sense of entitlement can creep in. I don't care really where we rank class wise as long as we are around Top 5. At that point it comes down to evaluation and coaching. And IMO, biased as it is, we have coaches capable of both all over the staff. More so than our competition IYAM. Our staff is still "new" so to speak, and that is why we have had to play catch-up to other staffs with 2014/2015 kids. Well catch-up has become caught-up in most cases, and I think we could be in for a Monster 2016 class.

While there has been and likely always will be entitlement with Bama fans. I doubt that sentiment is in Saban or the football players there. You don't win 3 natties in a 4 year span with that mind set. You earn it.

Well said.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're #2 on ESPN's rankings now.

Wow! Did not see that one coming. And they still have not rated 4 of our commits.

ESPN is one of the lead narrators of the story I mentioned above.

Wow! Did not see that one coming. And they still have not rated 4 of our commits.

Terrific news for this time of the year. We have some other great ones that are leaning our way too, like Jovon. I hope our Defensive Line and Linbacker recruiting shows out in the next few months.

What story.

I was talking to someone about this recently. It is important to have highly skilled guys at certain positions in order to win. But as I think we are seeing at Bama, much like USCw prior to them, you CAN have too many 5*'s, and a sense of entitlement can creep in. I don't care really where we rank class wise as long as we are around Top 5. At that point it comes down to evaluation and coaching. And IMO, biased as it is, we have coaches capable of both all over the staff. More so than our competition IYAM. Our staff is still "new" so to speak, and that is why we have had to play catch-up to other staffs with 2014/2015 kids. Well catch-up has become caught-up in most cases, and I think we could be in for a Monster 2016 class.

While there has been and likely always will be entitlement with Bama fans. I doubt that sentiment is in Saban or the football players there. You don't win 3 natties in a 4 year span with that mind set. You earn it.

As a general rule I would agree with you, but I think a sense of entitlement is the only real explanation for Bama's two Sugar Bowl losses under Saban (Utah & Oklahoma).

As a general rule I would agree with you, but I think a sense of entitlement is the only real explanation for Bama's two Sugar Bowl losses under Saban (Utah & Oklahoma).

IMO no.Not caring as much as the other team because of being disappointed in the Bowl they are in is a more likely explanation. It happens to a number of teams who are in a lesser bowl then they planned to be in.

IMO no.Not caring as much as the other team because of being disappointed in the Bowl they are in is a more likely explanation. It happens to a number of teams who are in a lesser bowl then they planned to be in.

Agreed again.

Not talking about a Fan's sense of entitlement, and with all due respect to McLoofus and E, the problem with many teams is most assuredly a sense of entitlement. Just like the problems AU faced after 2010, and FSU is facing right now. Jameis Winston, Michael Dyer, Reuben Foster, Alvin Kamara, Dee Liner, DeAngelo Benton, Zeke Pike and dozens of UGA kids since all have issues with entitlement. Winston's issues don't stem from anything he experienced in Tallahassee. He and the others all brought that to school with them. You get more than one of them on a team and it is infectious. I have been in enough locker rooms that I speak from experience. Reuben doesn't have any rings I'm aware of, yet HIS SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT is the stuff of legends. Unless I am just way off, AJ wasn't talking about fans infecting the locker room, with all due respect.

Not talking about a Fan's sense of entitlement, and with all due respect to McLoofus and E, the problem with many teams is most assuredly a sense of entitlement. Just like the problems AU faced after 2010, and FSU is facing right now. Jameis Winston, Michael Dyer, Reuben Foster, Alvin Kamara, Dee Liner, DeAngelo Benton, Zeke Pike and dozens of UGA kids since all have issues with entitlement. Winston's issues don't stem from anything he experienced in Tallahassee. He and the others all brought that to school with them. You get more than one of them on a team and it is infectious. I have been in enough locker rooms that I speak from experience. Reuben doesn't have any rings I'm aware of, yet HIS SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT is the stuff of legends. Unless I am just way off, AJ wasn't talking about fans infecting the locker room, with all due respect.

1. Not saying AJ has not made comments but I have not seen them. 2. you are grouping kids together as entitlement issues when IMO their issues had nothing to do with entitlement. Zeke for example had isues running his mouth and partying too much. Had nothing to do with entitlement IMO. Dixie you are one of the coolest people I know but you can get fired up easily and passionately on issues just like Zeke did. I don't see one sense of entitlement to you either. I see a hard working man that likes to get fired up some times and there ain't a dad gum thing wrong with that. I don't know what's going on Bama's locker room now and I really don't care. There may be entitlement issues there now. It will show on the field in due time if it's there. But I stand by what I said my friend. In that 4 year stretch from 09-12 where they won 3 natties there was not entitlement. Hard arse work won those natties. If there was entitlement in the players in that time the hard work would not have been there because psychologically entitlement breed a laxing mind set and lower work ethic. The end result would have been them not winning the natties.

1. Not saying AJ has not made comments but I have not seen them. 2. you are grouping kids together as entitlement issues when IMO their issues had nothing to do with entitlement. Zeke for example had isues running his mouth and partying too much. Had nothing to do with entitlement IMO. Dixie you are one of the coolest people I know but you can get fired up easily and passionately on issues just like Zeke did. I don't see one sense of entitlement to you either. I see a hard working man that likes to get fired up some times and there ain't a dad gum thing wrong with that. I don't know what's going on Bama's locker room now and I really don't care. There may be entitlement issues there now. It will show on the field in due time if it's there. But I stand by what I said my friend. In that 4 year stretch from 09-12 where they won 3 natties there was not entitlement. Hard arse work won those natties. If there was entitlement in the players in that time the hard work would not have been there because psychologically entitlement breed a laxing mind set and lower work ethic. The end result would have been them not winning the natties.

The only thing I got out if all of this is that Dixie runs his mouth too much and likes to party. :)

The only thing I got out if all of this is that Dixie runs his mouth too much and likes to party. :)

Damn! I was trying to conceal that. lol

Oh, I don't disagree that some teams have entitlement issues. But I see no direct relationship between talent and entitlement.

For every Foster, there's a couple Lawsons. For every Zeke Pike, there's a couple Sean Whites. For every Dee Liner and Michael Dyer, there's a Monty Adams, Elijah Daniel, Roc Thomas and Kerryon Johnson. Most humble, hard-working, non-attention-seeking player on the Atlanta Falcons' roster is? Julio Jones.

The teams that win national titles usually have the most 5*s.

The only thing I got out if all of this is that Dixie runs his mouth too much and USED TO like to party. :)

FIFY! :) I know what I am saying, if wasn't clear then I apologize. But E, thinking they can show their arse and not get in trouble is the very definition. Same with not caring enough to pass a drug test. "I am a Football Player! I can smoke and get away with it" What do you call the sense that the rules don't apply to you? Being bored because you always win is similar, if you think you should win because you showed up. I wasn't the one who tried to correct someone else. I am not mad at all, that was just my being a smart-aleck. Surely not the first time you have seen it? ;D

Miss the days when you didn't have to pay for their crap.

You still don't, but then you have to wait till it shows up on TD or here. Your call.

FIFY! :) I know what I am saying, if wasn't clear then I apologize. But E, thinking they can show their arse and not get in trouble is the very definition. Same with not caring enough to pass a drug test. "I am a Football Player! I can smoke and get away with it" What do you call the sense that the rules don't apply to you? Being bored because you always win is similar, if you think you should win because you showed up. I wasn't the one who tried to correct someone else. I am not mad at all, that was just my being a smart-aleck. Surely not the first time you have seen it? ;D

I'm lost on the last of what you were saying as usual (shot at myself not you). You are definitely right that some players do have athletic entitlement issues that affect those kinds of decisions but I don't think you can umbrella all athletes who make questionable choices like that. That is a heavy stereotype portrayed. Remember, most kids at that age make those kinds of choices whether they are athletes or not. It's a natural part of growing up for many done out of rebellion or just plain ole having fun.

If you had, you might have saved yourself a lot of typing. What Dixie referenced was exactly what AJ said about some of his own team mates. I am sure he would know.

So, what are the chances we finish in the top 3 this year?

I know, I know ... 50/50.

What about next year. Dixie seems pretty psyched.

Fair to middling.....or better.

I'm going for top 5 this cycle, #1 next.

What story.

Oh, sorry -- different rankings thread. Basically, I think there's a story being generated for this season about how we are set to supplant Bama, how Gus is the next guy, the one who will dethrone Sabear. I think 'the they' will set recruiting up that way, too. I won't be too surprised if we finish #2 to fit with that story, in other words.

How can we ever be #1? A.J. Mccarrion himself has said "They can't beat us, we're Alabama." I guess he feels entitled or sumthin'.

How can we ever be #1? A.J. Mccarrion himself has said "They can't beat us, we're Alabama." I guess he feels entitled or sumthin'.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If you had, you might have saved yourself a lot of typing. What Dixie referenced was exactly what AJ said about some of his own team mates. I am sure he would know.

It would not save any typing. All I said and was my point from the beginning is that it was not there in 09-12 because there is no way a team wins 3 natties in 4 years with entitlement issues. The psychological complacency that comes with that makes it almost impossible to do. It very well may be there now. The point of me saying I had not seen what AJ said was to get someone to post a link of it. Whatever he said is not common knowledge to me.

Archived