2015 4* ATH Torrance Gibson (Ohio State signee)

ellitor

The reality is that Johnson AND White AND Queen will not ALL be breakout stars for Auburn. When you recruit one or more big time QB prospects every year, all don't play. While some may in hindsight debate the quality of our QB recruiting in the past, we have seen a cluster of elite prospects (Caudle, Burns, Rollison, and Frazier) ALL crash and burn. We have filled in with mediocre play from medicre prospects (Trotter, Mosely and Wallace) and superb play from the two JUCOs. Johnson, White and Queen are similar in rating to the previous cluster of players. I maintain that it is possible that one, and maybe two of them will never be a primary starter for us at QB barring injury. It's not a wish...just being pragmatic

I can see that. Its hard to tell who can and who cannot transition their game from the HS level to the collegiate level. I will say, however, the 2 previous highest rated QBs in Burns and Frazier were never the HS passers that either White or Queen are now. I am not arguing your conclusion but I really do believe these 2 guys are not going to be busts and if they dont break out at Auburn they will somewhere.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knowing that it is very possible some of our QBs will not see the field as the starter, I sure do like our talent at this position. QBs are 1 play away from being injured and having capable QBs on our roster is very important. I do not think I would trade ours for any other schools.

Remember, JJ came in last year a few games for Marshall and he played very well for a true Freshman. It is a great problem to have.

Quality backups are necessary, especially in an offense that asks the QB to run the ball.

Also, we've already shown, one year can make a star out of anyone. So it is actually possible that all three could be All-SEC performers. Johnson could take over in 2015 (as a Junior). White could take the reigns from him as a RS So/Jr (in 2016) or RS Jr (in 2017). Queen could take over for White as a Senior.

Is it likely that we see four consecutive big-time QB prospects turn into the stars we hope they are? No. It isn't, and injuries could certainly play a role in their success. I'm just saying one year as starting QB for a major program is enough to get drafted in NFL. See Newton, Cameron.

TQ's dad is the HC of his high school. They are replicating AU offense right now. They both go to AU practices and learn new things. He is our most important recruit in this class. Not just for him, but he is recruiting other players the way Deshaun Davis was last year.

I know what you are saying Counsel, but White and Queen are head and shoulders above Trotter, Moseley and Caudle. If you have any questions on TQ I suggest you check out the film of his game against Macheachern last year. He beat a team full of current/future 4-5* talent almost single handedly. If he had even one talented WR he would be breaking records. But even having marginal WR play has allowed him to take N. Cobb places they have never been in football. There will be very few QBs allowed to commit prior to their JR year of HS. With the injury he won't be camping this year and that could keep him from his fifth star. It shouldn't, but it will.

I will always say Sean White was one of the best QBs in the 2014 class. Should've had a 5th star. He will start after JJ in my opinion. Though my opinion means nothing.

You are right Clayton. If he was 6'-04" he would have been a 5*, easily. He may be the best throwing QB we have ever had right out of HS.

I love our current QBs, our recent commits (at QB and receiver), and that we are in the running for guys like TG. Speaks well of Malzahn/Lashlee/Craig, IMO.

To paraphrase Nick, our offense is sick.

I know what you are saying Counsel, but White and Queen are head and shoulders above Trotter, Moseley and Caudle. If you have any questions on TQ I suggest you check out the film of his game against Macheachern last year. He beat a team full of current/future 4-5* talent almost single handedly. If he had even one talented WR he would be breaking records. But even having marginal WR play has allowed him to take N. Cobb places they have never been in football. There will be very few QBs allowed to commit prior to their JR year of HS. With the injury he won't be camping this year and that could keep him from his fifth star. It shouldn't, but it will.

Pretty sure Caudle was one of the top rated QBs in the country when he signed. That was a little before I started following recruiting closely so I could be wrong on that.

Pretty sure Caudle was one of the top rated QBs in the country when he signed. That was a little before I started following recruiting closely so I could be wrong on that.

I think he was highly rated; a 4 star I think.

\

He was a 4 star, but came to Auburn with multiple injuries sustained in high school that he could not overcome.

\

He was a 4 star, but came to Auburn with multiple injuries sustained in high school that he could not overcome.

Caudle got in CTT's doghouse, and never did what was necessary to get out of it. Dixie, if you reread what I said, I'm not comparing Trotter and Mosley to White and Queen. White and Queen are big time prospects, just as Caudle, Burns, Rollison and Frazier were. No one highlight film changes my opinion that much. Rollison was DEVASTING on a lot of his film. Kiehl's film was great.

Just as some DT QBs look good on film in HS without mastering passing mechanics, many pro style QBs look good without having to make complex reads and get through their progressions, not to mention the comparably mediocre pass rush. Just playing Devil's advocate. SW or TQ may win a Heisman here...I just doubt you see them starting. We'll see...I could be damn wrong.

\

Caudle got in CTT's doghouse, and never did what was necessary to get out of it. Dixie, if you reread what I said, I'm not comparing Trotter and Mosley to White and Queen. White and Queen are big time prospects, just as Caudle, Burns, Rollison and Frazier were. No one highlight film changes my opinion that much. Rollison was DEVASTING on a lot of his film. Kiehl's film was great.

Just as some DT QBs look good on film in HS without mastering passing mechanics, many pro style QBs look good without having to make complex reads and get through their progressions, not to mention the comparably mediocre pass rush. Just playing Devil's advocate. SW or TQ may win a Heisman here...I just doubt you see them starting. We'll see...I could be damn wrong.

Like I said, I can see your points. You could be wrong but you could also be right. I realize you were posting your reply to someone else but here's my take. The 2 highest rated QBs of those you mentioned, in terms of star ratings, were Burns and Frazier. Their HS film looked good, as you noted, but their scouting reports both indicated that passing accuracy was not their strengths. The scouting reports on SW and TQ is quite different with specific reference to their passing ability and accuracy. Rollinson was an academic casualty. I dont expect that from SW or TQ. Caudle just never transitioned and it could have been injuries that held him back.

No way to know who starts and who doesn't but I wouldn't hesitate in saying your comparison is apple to oranges on the passing issue. That, alone, doesn't insure they will start. How they transition to the rest of it will be equally important. We'll have to wait and see but I believe that while Gus expects a lot from his QBs, I think his system is a players system in that his coaching makes it easier for them in terms of where to look and what to look for in making quick decisions with the ball.

Obviously, I like those 2 chances of being impact players somewhere at some point in their collegiate careers but like you say, only time will tell.

That is why I say, rankings, stars and statistics aside, White and Queen are much further ahead than the others. Especially in terms of accuracy and passing skill sets. It is of course just my opinion, but it is based on watching them play actual games. Both of them play/played in the highest classes, in two of the top states in terms of overall competition. I did not see Caudle play in HS, but I still feel comfortable in my assessment. Like I said, it's just my (not so humble) opinion. (On mobile so I can't use emoti. So nana-nana boo-boo!)

That is why I say, rankings, stars and statistics aside, White and Queen are much further ahead than the others. Especially in terms of accuracy and passing skill sets. It is of course just my opinion, but it is based on watching them play actual games. Both of them play/played in the highest classes, in two of the top states in terms of overall competition. I did not see Caudle play in HS, but I still feel comfortable in my assessment. Like I said, it's just my (not so humble) opinion. (On mobile so I can't use emoti. So nana-nana boo-boo!)

As far as the NNBB, both Marshall and to a lesser extent Cam had touch issues as intermediate passers, but their legs and their fit in the Malzahn offense more than made up for it. As much as I like the intermediate passing game, the short passing game yields fewer interceptions, and an intercepted deep ball is like a punt from a field position standpoint. I still see the Malzahn offense as much scarier and more unique with a dual threat QB, especially since we really are not a consistent HUNH. We hurry to the line and wait for Gus to read and call plays. The zone read and deep threat combo, and the selective HUNH...that is the rare combo we have going.

As far as the NNBB, both Marshall and to a lesser extent Cam had touch issues as intermediate passers, but their legs and their fit in the Malzahn offense more than made up for it. As much as I like the intermediate passing game, the short passing game yields fewer interceptions, and an intercepted deep ball is like a punt from a field position standpoint. I still see the Malzahn offense as much scarier and more unique with a dual threat QB, especially since we really are not a consistent HUNH. We hurry to the line and wait for Gus to read and call plays. The zone read and deep threat combo, and the selective HUNH...that is the rare combo we have going.

With all due respect, allow me to posit that they didn't fit in the Malzahn offense; the Malzahn offense was tailored to fit them. I think if you look at the play calling in game 1 vs in game 12, you'll see a huge difference each time.

Also, for the record, both the 2010 and 2013 offenses were roughly 70 yards and 1 touchdown per game better than the 2009 offense. I'll leave it to others to debate how big that margin is, given all of the variables.

To steer the topic back to TG a little bit, does anyone think that Jenning's commitment to UT could curb TG's interest in them? I know that he is supposedly leaning more tOSU, but I just keep thinking about that quote he had when he said that our offense was a perfect fit for him. (Link for anyone who hasn't seen it)

To steer the topic back to TG a little bit, does anyone think that Jenning's commitment to UT could curb TG's interest in them? I know that he is supposedly leaning more tOSU, but I just keep thinking about that quote he had when he said that our offense was a perfect fit for him. (Link for anyone who hasn't seen it)

:big:

I doubt that Jennings' commit to UTk will affect TG much. I'm hoping that most of the influence comes directly from Auburn.

• 2 weeks later...

“@Allie_Davison: #Rivals100 Torrance Gibson currently in Auburn for A-Day RT “@quick_tg6: I have some big recruiting news later today!””

Well, the last time he did that, it was something about what All-Star game he was playing in. But he's in Auburn today and we'll see what this "big recurring news is". He's not set to commit anytime soon.

Archived