2015 4* ATH Torrance Gibson (Ohio State signee)

ellitor

What are the odd we get this kid out of Louisiana? Is LSU going after him too?

He's not originally from Louisiana, He's committed to Rich Rod, and LSU has not offered.

Ah ok. Thanks E. You da man. :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how I feel about this kid at this point.

How do you go from wanting this kid to you don't know how you feel about him in 2 1/2 hours? Just curious what would change your mind that quick

How do you go from wanting this kid to you don't know how you feel about him in 2 1/2 hours? Just curious what would change your mind that quick

Not talking about Shea Patterson. I was talking about Torrance Gibson.

Oh ok.

And in the Torrance Gibson thread, of all things!

Still WANT.

Our staff have met this kid, met his family, talked to his coaches and teachers, exhaustively reviewed his tapes, read his twitter.....

If they want him, I want him.

Still WANT.

Our staff have met this kid, met his family, talked to his coaches and teachers, exhaustively reviewed his tapes, read his twitter.....

From a common sense point of view, Im pretty sure everybody wants to sign this kid. A healthy aversion to following kids who get into the "look at me mentality" may be at the bottom of some of the doubts about him. Im not saying the kid is or will be that kind of prospect but personally i can understand people not wanting to be lead down that road again.

Still WANT.

From a common sense point of view, Im pretty sure everybody wants to sign this kid. A healthy aversion to following kids who get into the "look at me mentality" may be at the bottom of some of the doubts about him. Im not saying the kid is or will be that kind of prospect but personally i can understand people not wanting to be lead down that road again.

Agreed we have been burned to many times by this kids who appear to have this attitude. However, you won't hear me combined if he chooses the good guys.

Still WANT.

Agreed we have been burned to many times by this kids who appear to have this attitude. However, you won't hear me combined if he chooses the good guys.

What attitude? Has anyone here ever met this kid? I'm told he is a great kid who would be a great fit at AU.

Still WANT.

What attitude? Has anyone here ever met this kid? I'm told he is a great kid who would be a great fit at AU.

THANK YOU.

All this talk about five star this and five star that doesn't mean squat. Yes being a four or five star helps but it really doesn't mean anything once they hit the field. The state of Texas has high school programs that have facilities and better coaches then almost any other state which means a lot of those four and five stars have already reached there potential and aren't going to get any better. saying that a four or five star is going to definitely work out is like saying the Heisman winner will work out in the pros. I believe Matt Leinart proved that to be just a myth. But just because a player doesn't play against the best level of competition doesn't mean that they won't show out at the college level. Look at the huge defensive tackle M. Adams. He came from a small school and did not play against top talent and was expected to redshirt but look at the impact he made.

All this talk about five star this and five star that doesn't mean squat. Yes being a four or five star helps but it really doesn't mean anything once they hit the field. The state of Texas has high school programs that have facilities and better coaches then almost any other state which means a lot of those four and five stars have already reached there potential and aren't going to get any better. saying that a four or five star is going to definitely work out is like saying the Heisman winner will work out in the pros. I believe Matt Leinart proved that to be just a myth. But just because a player doesn't play against the best level of competition doesn't mean that they won't show out at the college level. Look at the huge defensive tackle M. Adams. He came from a small school and did not play against top talent and was expected to redshirt but look at the impact he made.

Couple of points.... M. Adams was a 5* and a lot of Heisman winners have failed in the NFL. Seemed a little unfair to ole matty to pin him as the case in point to heisman failure in the NFL.

:slapfh:

At least we now have a definitive response to this. Thanks, Tivo48!

http://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/138371-updated-moving-on-up-au-is-currently-2/page__st__45#entry2047434

Also, Montravius Adams was a 5* and was absolutely NOT expected to redshirt.

That's good to hear. In this day and age, however, when quality players are crucified for the slightest miscue, it would benefit him to have an education in public perception and how to chose his words/actions wisely.

I find it interesting that the fall back argument from some (not speaking of anyone specifically) is "These are just kids. Let them have their fun." but then the fun goes a little too far or goes on too long and that same crowd wants to see heads roll.

In my experience, it's never too early to learn humility and respect, especially when they are being manipulated from all sides by people, many of whom just want to take advantage of them for their own gain. While a kid may be a great kid, behind the scenes, it's what they show the public that is going to matter to them when they have to start really dealing with fame.

That's good to hear. In this day and age, however, when quality players are crucified for the slightest miscue, it would benefit him to have an education in public perception and how to chose his words/actions wisely.

I find it interesting that the fall back argument from some (not speaking of anyone specifically) is "These are just kids. Let them have their fun." but then the fun goes a little too far or goes on too long and that same crowd wants to see heads roll.

In my experience, it's never too early to learn humility and respect, especially when they are being manipulated from all sides by people, many of whom just want to take advantage of them for their own gain. While a kid may be a great kid, behind the scenes, it's what they show the public that is going to matter to them when they have to start really dealing with fame.

I agree. As far as this guy goes i didn't say he was an attitude problem waiting to happen.I did notice on a couple occasions he tweeted he had a big announcement to make and it turned out to be something quite anti-climactic. I want to see the guy in orange and blue as much as anyne but I do thnk he has his work cut out remaining at the QB position.

While I don't necessarily disagree with anything you posted, I think that we as a forum should try to avoid using moral platitudes about the character of recruits in general in threads about specific recruits. To do so suggests that such statements have any relevance to the character of the kid or to his recruitment, which I don't think is something most of us believe. For instance, when you talk about respect and humility (both good things), I don't believe that you mean to imply that those are things that TG is lacking, but the mere fact that those things continue to be talked about in the context of this thread do give the suggestion that those are things worth talking about in the context of Mr. Gibson, and I don't think that you or I believe that is the case. And many a thread have gotten out of hand over less.

While I don't necessarily disagree with anything you posted, I think that we as a forum should try to avoid using moral platitudes about the character of recruits in general in threads about specific recruits. To do so suggests that such statements have any relevance to the character of the kid or to his recruitment, which I don't think is something most of us believe. For instance, when you talk about respect and humility (both good things), I don't believe that you mean to imply that those are things that TG is lacking, but the mere fact that those things continue to be talked about in the context of this thread do give the suggestion that those are things worth talking about in the context of Mr. Gibson, and I don't think that you or I believe that is the case. And many a thread have gotten out of hand over less.

Honestly, I would go as far as saying the majority of 17-18 year old males are lacking in the areas of respect and humility. Those are things that most learn once they get out on their own, and some later... if ever. There are exceptions, of course, but my experience has been that those exceptions are rare, especially among the elite few who are star athletes and constantly have people treating them as better than their peers. I like to think that my parents did an amazing job instilling good qualities in me, but I had no clue what humility and respect really meant until I was on my own for a few years, and I'm still a work in progress 20+ years later.

That being said, if you take my comments in context, I was referring to the perception that people develop about someone based on their actions. Let's take Carl Lawson as an example. The way he has handled himself, from the moment he came on everyone radar, until today, has screamed that he is humble and respectful. Contrast that with a player who he was frequently compared, Jadeveon Clowney. Clowney might be an amazing guy, but some decisions he made, possibly because no one taught him about the potential pitfalls of his actions, have created a public persona that he is self-centered and proud. Both players are extremely talented and have a huge drive, but Lawson has picked his words and actions wisely, and that bodes well for his future, even beyond football.

So, the reason this is in a specific player's thread is that he chose to put himself in the spotlight by exploiting his fame a little, and I just wanted to point out that it would be of benefit to him, and all players like him, to consider the image they may be creating for themselves.

Does that count as a hijack? :-D

50/50 ;)

50/50 ;)

:hellyeah:

50/50 ;)/>

I concur.

Archived