***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

11 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Is JS that much better than Woody?

Stidham is a known comity... presently, the only people who know how good Woody is are on the team/staff and they aren't talking. Stidham, based on previous numbers, has the potential to be a top 5 QB. That's rare air that, sure, Woody might have the skills to sniff, but we won't know until we see him out there.  What we do know is when both left high school, Stidham was a far more accomplished QB already.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

To sum up..basically if Briles gets a power 5 job, it's more than likely Stidham goes to the school that hires him. But if he does not it means he is more than likely to end up at Auburn, unless his perceived favorite school TAMU decides they want him. So what level of impact does Gus and Rhett really have if the basis of his decision rests primarily on where Briles ends up? And as far as we can tell Auburn does not have an on-field position for him. So outside of the kid just liking Auburn more what really are the odds he would come here without a Briles in hand as well..

I don't think its that simple. I doubt Stidham will jump at just any Power-5 school that hires Kendal. Hiring Kendal will just put them in consideration and then he will have to review if having Briles as his coach is worth playing for that school.  We are in the closest thing to the drivers seat, thanks to A&M bailing, because if he the perfect scenario of Briles landing in a school he'd be happy playing for doesn't happen, we get him. If Gus rocks his visit, we might get him anyway. 

20 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

To sum up..basically if Briles gets a power 5 job, it's more than likely Stidham goes to the school that hires him. But if he does not it means he is more than likely to end up at Auburn, unless his perceived favorite school TAMU decides they want him. So what level of impact does Gus and Rhett really have if the basis of his decision rests primarily on where Briles ends up? And as far as we can tell Auburn does not have an on-field position for him. So outside of the kid just liking Auburn more what really are the odds he would come here without a Briles in hand as well..

1. Don't care as long as the dominoes fall right so we can get him. 2. You answered that with the bolded text.

12 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

IMO, Gus and Lashlee are continuing to sell him guarantees for 2017, unlike Kendal, who has none at this point.

Gus/Lashlee can sell him on playing for a legit chance at titles. Right now, Kendal can't.

IMO, that's what they're focusing on with the visit today.

Bingo...hopefully he can see that...and hopefully Gus can close it this weekend.

As someone who admittedly knows nothing about recruiting, what do they do for 12 hours at an in home visit? Talk about AU, q & a with the families, address concerns...for 12 hours?! But I really am asking do they just talk and eat or go do stuff around the town? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

As someone who admittedly knows nothing about recruiting, what do they do for 12 hours at an in home visit? Talk about AU, q & a with the families, address concerns...for 12 hours?! But I really am asking do they just talk and eat or go do stuff around the town? 

I've heard of coaches shooting hoops with players, playing video games, throwing the ball around, working out, meeting extended family, singing karaoke, going to local events, etc. If it's a bonding type activity, most coaches are totally on board with it.

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I try not to think about it bc it makes me cringe thinking about some grown man begging a kid for something. I know coaches are not on their knees, but still. 

I just don't see any benefit for JS to make a decision before he sees where KB ends up or that January deadline to enroll in classes at Auburn.  Unless he wants to participate in bowl practice?  Am I missing something?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

I just don't see any benefit for JS to make a decision before he sees where KB ends up or that January deadline to enroll in classes at Auburn.  Unless he wants to participate in bowl practice?  Am I missing something?

At some point, he said he was interested in participating in bowl practice.  He misses being on a team... no bowl practice = several months of waiting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not IMO. But if KB starts telling JS that KB's job prospects are not looking too good then I could see JS committing sooner rather than later.

On 12/7/2016 at 5:09 PM, steeleagle said:

Agree. K. Briles has only been OC for 1 year, and most of the time he was WR coach i think before that. Hard to believe LSU would want such an inexperienced OC. But i guess same could be said about us hiring CGM and he only had 1 year of HCing experience. :). 

I wonder how CDC would feel about that. Sure would be interesting considering K. Briles does have only one year of experience but understanding CDC was brought in by Les and not coach O. 

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not IMO. But if KB starts telling JS that KB's job prospects are not looking too good then I could see JS committing sooner rather than later.

I'm with you on that. But I'll add though that I don't think that many teams would have to be scratched off the list of KB landing spots for JS to pull the trigger. Personally, I am not of the mind that JS will follow KB to any P5 team. I don't know that he'd follow him somewhere like Wake Forest or Rutgers for example.

There is also the human element of wanting the decision to be over with that is on our side. I imagine that not having any idea where'd you'll be going to school gets to be pretty nerve-wracking once you're only a week or two from being on campus. 

4 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

I'm with you on that. But I'll add though that I don't think that many teams would have to be scratched off the list of KB landing spots for JS to pull the trigger. Personally, I am not of the mind that JS will follow KB to any P5 team. I don't know that he'd follow him somewhere like Wake Forest or Rutgers for example.

There is also the human element of wanting the decision to be over with that is on our side. I imagine that not having any idea where'd you'll be going to school gets to be pretty nerve-wracking once you're only a week or two from being on campus. 

Yeah. The discussion was not implying JS would follow KB to any P5 job, just a quality one in all likely hood. Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

Good read and analysis IMO.

The in-home visit that tops all others

The big day is finally here.

Gus Malzahn and Rhett Lashlee will make the long-awaited trip to Stephenville, Texas, to take their final in-home visit with Jarrett Stidham. If the Auburn offensive duo can’t seal the deal Friday, it wasn’t meant to be for the Tigers.

I expect it to do the trick, however. All signs point toward Stidham choosing Auburn. He has visited the school more than any other program. It appears Florida has emerged as the most likely No. 2 option, and even the Gators seem like a distant second. Texas A&M has backed off.

So, what’s the wait?

The easy answer is Kendal Briles. The Baylor offensive coordinator continues to have a strong relationship with his former pupil. Briles’ name has been linked to a few places, and I’ve been told Stidham has a legitimate curiosity regarding Briles’ future.

With that said, even if Briles went elsewhere, that wouldn’t guarantee a Stidham move with him. It all depends on the nature of the switch, and even so, pulling ahead of Auburn this late in the game wouldn’t be an easy task.

Expect a Stidham decision sometime next week. He’ll host Malzahn and Lashlee for a weekend visit in Texas. That meeting and discussion alone should be enough to finish up the job.

If it’s not, coaching carousel noise will likely be clear enough by the middle to end of next week for Stidham to close out the process …

Finally.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. The discussion was not implying JS would follow KB to any P5 job, just a quality one in all likely hood. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries, I didn't take your comment as you implying that he would follow him anywhere. I was just adding that I personally think that the potential landing spots for KB where JS would follow might be be smaller than many think, e.g. LSU, Florida, and a few others.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Again it would be career suicide for KB. Would you take an off field position at 30-35k to be at AU where you don't get much coaching contact with players or make quite a bit more to be the OC at QB coach at a non-P5 FBS school where you would actually be coaching and make 5-10 times more money? If those are my 2 options I'm taking the non-P5 job and not give it a 2nd thought. And if I did give it a 2nd thought a good wife would slap some sense into me.

Career suicide because of one year and then becoming OC, QB, or WR coach the next year with a raise that would more than make up for one year of reduced wage?

Could be career suicide to go to a non-P5 job for all anyone knows. 

Just random thoughts from me regardless. Just looking for ways to land a top tier QB and get a heck of an offensive coach to boot. 

5 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Career suicide because of one year and then becoming OC, QB, or WR coach the next year with a raise that would more than make up for one year of reduced wage?

Could be career suicide to go to a non-P5 job for all anyone knows. 

Just random thoughts from me regardless. Just looking for ways to land a top tier QB and get a heck of an offensive coach to boot. 

There's no guarantee of an OC or QBC job opening for him in a year if he was a consultant. You don't do OC in waiting hires. Look at the numbers. Would you rather make $30-35k essentially not to coach or $150-200k (average rate for an OC at a non-P5 school) and actually get to coach and be in a much better position to be hired in a year or so by a P5 school as an OC or QBC? Doing a consultant job in this case would greatly reduce future opportunities.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Hopefully they will take the bag man with them so we can end this today, even if we have to take an extra bag for Briles.

And how long before some bama troglodyte quotes this as proof that we're buying Stidham?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

At some point, he said he was interested in participating in bowl practice.  He misses being on a team... no bowl practice = several months of waiting.

When does AU begin bowl practice? That would also factor some in him NOT waiting all the way into January.

If he does commit to us in the next week, it is going to be a quite an uneasy and very uncomfortable time for SW and JF3 to work with him, knowing that they will have to play the bowl game, but come spring practice, unless a disaster hits, they will simply be playing for the backup to JS.

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

When does AU begin bowl practice? That would also factor some in him NOT waiting all the way into January.

Likely Wednesday the 14th.

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If he does commit to us in the next week, it is going to be a quite an uneasy and very uncomfortable time for SW and JF3 to work with him, knowing that they will have to play the bowl game, but come spring practice, unless a disaster hits, they will simply be playing for the backup to JS.

I don't think it will be uneasy for Sean. He has always welcomed competition. IDK about JF3. He may still transfer.

Anymore questions or thoughts about the current QBs, even as it pertains to competing with Stidham, need to be directed to The football forum.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

It's starting to look like a matter of time folks. If Stidham picks AU hopefully he will do it soon so the staff would have a strong selling point for targets like Tre McKitty, Henry Ruggs, & Tarik Black.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

It's starting to look like a matter of time folks. If Stidham picks AU hopefully he will do it soon so the staff would have a strong selling point for targets like Tre McKitty, Henry Ruggs, & Tarik Black.

JLee said the same thing earlier.

2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

JLee said the same thing earlier.

and so did the GOAT of AU recruiting.

• Like 1