***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

2 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

And how would Stidham visit the Athletic Department, which we all know is a key building in any school's recruitment, with no coaches present?

My guess is that if Stidham went to the building, he would somehow find it magically unlocked with a fresh tray of food waiting and a taped guided tour of the facility with a prerecorded HC tape playing on a huge tv talking about how important top QB play will be them next year!

• Like 1

Just now, shabby said:

But if stud him is so crucial why wouldn't we offer Briles something like 100 k or more if it meant getting both. are there legal reasons or caps that exist for exactly that reason?

Read the last 2-3 pages of this thread. Under the NCAA rule of 10 on-field coaches, we don't have room to offer Kendal an on-field position. Plus, he hasn't been cleared by the NCAA of those minor recruiting violations yet.

4 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

And how would Stidham visit the Athletic Department, which we all know is a key building in any school's recruitment, with no coaches present?

That would be a gray area mistake along the same lines of what Lion said a few posts up. He can't have a tour of facilities because that would recruire contact with a school's athletic staff.

1 minute ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Read the last 2-3 pages of this thread. Under the NCAA rule of 10 on-field coaches, we don't have room to offer Kendal an on-field position. Plus, he hasn't been cleared by the NCAA of those minor recruiting violations yet.

There is talk he has been & Sankey being apart of those meetings. IDK that to be true though. That's just what WDE posted a few days ago.

8 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

And how would Stidham visit the Athletic Department, which we all know is a key building in any school's recruitment, with no coaches present? Sounds simply...just let a tour guide show him around, but you have to clear the building of all coaches DURING a time of heavy preparation for Bowls and recruiting.

He couldn't.  He couldn't really see anything behind the scenes at all. It would not be a quality visit.

I will say this, however, he could get some potential insight from a standard student visit, if they do things like Auburn did when I was in high school.  When I visited campus, just as a prospective student, they had a football player show me around. As long as that is standard practice for any prospect, then the NCAA can't stop them from doing it for a player prospect.

7 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I meant why do we hire him for an off the field position at 100 k if it meant getting Stidhim. are their rules against that?  I imagine 100 thousand is pretty minor thing so it must be something more than money preventing auburn from.an offer like this. 

I guess I still don't see why Gus can't just hire KB in some temporary capacity, just for a year and then make changes later. It could easily be worked out. RL is going to get a HC job sooner than later. Bring KB in now, yes, at a reduced off field position with the understanding that he changes positions (OC or position coach) later with a huge raise. The bigger question would be if Gus wants KB around period. 

2 minutes ago, shabby said:

I meant why do we hire him for an off the field position at 100 k if it meant getting Stidhim. are their rules against that?  I imagine 100 thousand is pretty minor thing so it must be something more than money preventing auburn from.an offer like this. 

The only rule about how much you pay your coaches/staff comes from the people who control the money at the University. I have a feeling that Gus would be hard pressed to convince the pencil pushers that an off-field analyst was worth 100k/year no matter what QB came with the package.

The best bet is convince him to take a standard analyst job with the promise of a promotion if they extra on-field coach proposal goes through.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That would be a gray area mistake along the same lines of what Lion said a few posts up. He can't have a tour of facilities because that would recruire contact with a school's athletic staff.

Which would make it less than ideal for a program that Stidham hasn't visited to acquire his NLI. He would be mostly relying on Kendal's opinions of the new staff and Athletic Department.

20 minutes ago, shabby said:

No one is going to pay an off-field consultant 100K. If they did, can you imagine the uproar from everyone about giving a consultant an obscene amount of money JUST to sign his prized pupil? It would be Camgate 2.0.

Edited by VipersStrike1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

I guess I still don't see why Gus can't just hire KB in some temporary capacity, just for a year and then make changes later. It could easily be worked out. RL is going to get a HC job sooner than later. Bring KB in now, yes, at a reduced off field position with the understanding that he changes positions (OC or position coach) later with a huge raise. The bigger question would be if Gus wants KB around period. 

From what I understand is that Gus is not allowed to hire him. Look nobody knows unless you are in meetings but some people in AU strongly believe that we wanted to bring in Briles (one or both) in some capacity and this was shot down by the people above Gus. Unless KB is cleared of all wrongdoings I don't think Gus will be able to hire him. Gus answers to people in AU. 

Hopefully it will not matter anyway and Stidham says "Im going to AU no matter what!". 

11 minutes ago, shabby said:

An off field position has salary determined by the university and there are limiting caps on those positions salary wise.

10 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Again it would be career suicide for KB. Would you take an off field position at 30-35k to be at AU where you don't get much coaching contact with players or make quite a bit more to be the OC at QB coach at a non-P5 FBS school where you would actually be coaching and make 5-10 times more money? If those are my 2 options I'm taking the non-P5 job and not give it a 2nd thought. And if I did give it a 2nd thought a good wife would slap some sense into me.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

An off field position has salary determined by the university and there are limiting caps on those positions salary wise.

I would guess there are enough "creative" type people who know how to work around such obstacles.  

• Like 1

Bear with me.....

What if Kiffen and CEO had a handshake deal and he recruited JS while the OC for uat?  Or, he resigned from uat, coached the playoffs without a contract, and hosted JS before actually accepting the job at LSU?  Like most true, Dye-hard Auburn fans I'm desperately searching for circumstances where this could work out to our worst-case scenario.  Oi damn vey, I believe is what the kids are saying these days.

WDE!

1 minute ago, MadtownTiger said:

Bear with me.....

What if Kiffen and CEO had a handshake deal and he recruited JS while the OC for uat?  Or, he resigned from uat, coached the playoffs without a contract, and hosted JS before actually accepting the job at LSU?  Like most true, Dye-hard Auburn fans I'm desperately searching for circumstances where this could work out to our worst-case scenario.  Oi damn vey, I believe is what the kids are saying these days.

WDE!

To our knowledge Kiffen has not even recruited Stidham though.

19 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

As mentioned, off-field positions and consultants do not make what Kendal can make as an OC at a non-P5 program.

How do we know Lashlee is going to get a HC job sooner than later? He's 0-for-2 thus far at applying. Couldn't even land at Georgia State.

So how does that fact comfort Kendal in that he would be the OC in waiting?

Your last statement may ring the truest. We all know Gus is ultra stubborn and prefers assistants that he trusts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Again it would be career suicide for KB. Would you take an off field position at 30-35k to be at AU where you don't get much coaching contact with players

This is another big factor. Stidham would not get to work with Kendal as a consultant on the field. Wouldn't be much time off the field.

So even if Kendal came to an agreement as a consultant, that doesn't suit Stidham 100%.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To our knowledge Kiffen has not even recruited Stidham though.

I posted that with the deepest of sighs and an eye roll so dramatic I experienced a little vertigo.

WDE!

1 minute ago, MadtownTiger said:

I posted that with the deepest of sighs and an eye roll so dramatic I experienced a little vertigo.

WDE!

Sorry I miss sarcasm sometimes if it's not in yellow or has this in the post. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

We have a 4 star QB that is waiting in the wings to become our QB. Is JS that much better than Woody?  Is KB that great of an OC?  Is there any off field coaching position that KB could move to? Just questions folks. I honestly do not know if Art is as bad a villain he is being made out to be. No one except Art and the Good Lord know this and time will tell the story no doubt. I might get hammered on this, but I try to give folks the benefit of doubt if possible. The situation at Baylor is bad no doubt and I hope they get things straightened out soon. The kids on that team deserve to have some stability. I suspect though, that Baylor will fall down to the cracks of hell and will stay there a good while.

I just hope it is not as bad as what happened to SMU. That team has yet to recover from the death penalty. I do believe that schools should be penalized for their infractions no doubt in that if the NCAA goes light on schools, we will have a huge mess that will destroy college football. Is what happened at Baylor something that the NCAA could bring the hammer down? Just asking folks.

• Like 2

To sum up..basically if Briles gets a power 5 job, it's more than likely Stidham goes to the school that hires him. But if he does not it means he is more than likely to end up at Auburn, unless his perceived favorite school TAMU decides they want him. So what level of impact does Gus and Rhett really have if the basis of his decision rests primarily on where Briles ends up? And as far as we can tell Auburn does not have an on-field position for him. So outside of the kid just liking Auburn more what really are the odds he would come here without a Briles in hand as well..

6 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

We have a 4 star QB that is waiting in the wings to become our QB. Is JS that much better than Woody?  Is KB that great of an OC?

In a word, yes. JS is a difference maker for whomever he suits up for.

KB being a great OC? Smarter people than me have said he's a good one, so I'll take their word for it.

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And if I did give it a 2nd thought a good wife would slap some sense into me.

"But, honey... there are some really passionate posters on this website... aufamily.com... and they really want me to take the lower-paying job."

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

To sum up..basically if Briles gets a power 5 job, it's more than likely Stidham goes to the school that hires him. But if he does not it means he is more than likely to end up at Auburn, unless his perceived favorite school TAMU decides they want him. So what level of impact does Gus and Rhett really have if the basis of his decision rests primarily on where Briles ends up? And as far as we can tell Auburn does not have an on-field position for him. So outside of the kid just liking Auburn more what really are the odds he would come here without a Briles in hand as well..

IMO, Gus and Lashlee are continuing to sell him guarantees for 2017, unlike Kendal, who has none at this point.

Gus/Lashlee can sell him on playing for a legit chance at titles. Right now, Kendal can't.

IMO, that's what they're focusing on with the visit today.

• Like 2