2016 3* DE David Marshall (UGA flip 2/3/16)

Auburn4Winners

Too many of these kids have ZERO idea of what the word COMMITMENT means.

If I were recruiting, and a kid told me he was seriously thinking about committing, I would sit him down and make sure he knows what that means. You don't "commit" to a school and then sit around talking about how much you like this or that other school. It makes me rather irritated to see that kind of thing happen.

Excellent points! Maybe it's high time that these kids start learning the true meaning of the word committment, but the IMO the maIn problem is that the coaches throughout the league set bad examples by jumping ship when the next best thing comes along. It's all ruining college football. The rest of us are expected to honor our commitments in the business world so why shouldn't we as fans expect the same? I'd love to see a few coaches yank some offers.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were recruiting, and a kid told me he was seriously thinking about committing, I would sit him down and make sure he knows what that means. You don't "commit" to a school and then sit around talking about how much you like this or that other school. It makes me rather irritated to see that kind of thing happen.

Excellent points! Maybe it's high time that these kids start learning the true meaning of the word committment, but the IMO the maIn problem is that the coaches throughout the league set bad examples by jumping ship when the next best thing comes along. It's all ruining college football. The rest of us are expected to honor our commitments in the business world so why shouldn't we as fans expect the same? I'd love to see a few coaches yank some offers.

And some kids will lose their offer after decommitting. But if you're a coach whose job depends on these kids, are you going to let a 4/5* kid go because he decommitted from you once and might be playing some games? Let enough talent go elsewhere and it could end up costing you your job.

(Not saying I'm not in the camp of telling Marshall to go kick rocks, but think the above plays a lot into why you see it happen so much no matter how much everyone may hate it)

And some kids will lose their offer after decommitting. But if you're a coach whose job depends on these kids, are you going to let a 4/5* kid go because he decommitted from you once and might be playing some games? Let enough talent go elsewhere and it could end up costing you your job.

(Not saying I'm not in the camp of telling Marshall to go kick rocks, but think the above plays a lot into why you see it happen so much no matter how much everyone may hate it)

Yes. If your word is crap, what can I make of you as a coach, easy answer.

Yes. If your word is crap, what can I make of you as a coach, easy answer.

If Auburn had a record of winning these kind of last minute battles I might be persuaded to agree and say lets keep on this guy. However, it seems every year Auburn gets into recruiting some knuckle head that plays these games and invariably, on signing day, they sign somewhere else.

I'd ask the guy outright what he wanted to do and if he said he couldn't say, I'd say best of luck at where ever you decide to go we're done here and I'd move on. There is a lot to be said for recruiting players that actually WANT to be a part of OUR program rather than those who simply want to be courted.

I am one of the one who was all for giving him a second chance. But like may others I think it is time the coach gave an ultimatum. Quit the games and tell me you are all Auburn or our offer is gone. He is a good player but he is not an elite player. For a player like Gary it might be worth the games. That said Gary is a much better talent with a much better ceiling and he doesn't play these games.

Why does everybody take it so personally when a guy is indecisive? Exactly how are your lives affected by this? Honest question. I really don't understand how fans who are in no way involved in the recruiting process- other than choosing to spend their time on message boards instead of doing other things- can get "tired of the games" and such.

The guys whose livelihoods are riding on these kids haven't given up on Marshall yet. It would seem that they have a legitimate claim to being exasperated by a recruit being indecisive. I just don't understand why fans get so worked up about it and insult the recruits. That seems like the kind of thing that we laugh at sad, knuckle dragging Georgia fans for doing.

Why does everybody take it so personally when a guy is indecisive? Exactly how are your lives affected by this? Honest question. I really don't understand how fans who are in no way involved in the recruiting process- other than choosing to spend their time on message boards instead of doing other things- can get "tired of the games" and such.

The guys whose livelihoods are riding on these kids haven't given up on Marshall yet. It would seem that they have a legitimate claim to being exasperated by a recruit being indecisive. I just don't understand why fans get so worked up about it and insult the recruits. That seems like the kind of thing that we laugh at sad, knuckle dragging Georgia fans for doing.

Totally agree!

I myself usually don't. I'm usually on a kids side because I know how excited they be around this time, but with him I wish someone would advise him to chill out with the social media....But I don't know if he has somebody in his life to help guide him a bit

I myself usually don't. I'm usually on a kids side because I know how excited they be around this time, but with him I wish someone would advise him to chill out with the social media....But I don't know if he has somebody in his life to help guide him a bit

That's fair and reasonable, although the "#dawgsontop" thing struck me merely as a show of respect for a team that showed him respect. Kids with no intention of signing with Auburn tweet "#wde" with those little tiger emojis all the time. It's only a big deal to fans.

And I'm not saying that he won't decommit again. I just think that our staff has a lot more skin in the game and a much clearer view of the situation than we do and therefore maybe we should leave all the hand wringing to them. They get paid a LOT of money to stress out and whine about every character a recruit types into his phone. I don't, so I'll leave them to it.

Why you gotta take all the fun out of it McLoofus? If grown men and women can't get ulcers and high blood pressure over the games that high school kids play, then what is the point of recruiting? Seriously, I have no issue with "committed" kids still looking but I do believe the coaches should make it clear that it goes both ways.

Why you gotta take all the fun out of it McLoofus? If grown men and women can't get ulcers and high blood pressure over the games that high school kids play, then what is the point of recruiting? Seriously, I have no issue with "committed" kids still looking but I do believe the coaches should make it clear that it goes both ways.

You and cole256 are restoring my faith in the fanbase.

In the end, he will sign with us. I have a good feel on certain recruits that have signed with us over the years, and am about 90% correct.

That's fair and reasonable, although the "#dawgsontop" thing struck me merely as a show of respect for a team that showed him respect. Kids with no intention of signing with Auburn tweet "#wde" with those little tiger emojis all the time. It's only a big deal to fans.

And I'm not saying that he won't decommit again. I just think that our staff has a lot more skin in the game and a much clearer view of the situation than we do and therefore maybe we should leave all the hand wringing to them. They get paid a LOT of money to stress out and whine about every character a recruit types into his phone. I don't, so I'll leave them to it.

Also though it's no fault of the kid, with the way sites like SEC country spin stories many people react off what they may read and it may not be a big deal. The story they did about the guy that came with muschamp from Florida and left with him (not t Rob but a guy with a smaller role) they turned that into muschamp raiding Auburn's staff....that generates alot of dislike just for clicks. I think they did something similar with Marshall as far as making a headline as if he had thrown us to the curb and was all Georgia

WDE, do you have any idea where this guy ends up? The coaches must like him a lot, or surely they would've cut him loose at this point. He said his family likes AU and they weren't visiting any other schools with him. Which leads me to believe he's probably leaning elsewhere. Thanks

WDE, do you have any idea where this guy ends up? The coaches must like him a lot, or surely they would've cut him loose at this point. He said his family likes AU and they weren't visiting any other schools with him. Which leads me to believe he's probably leaning elsewhere. Thanks

I would think that if his family isn't visiting anywhere else, they are sold on Auburn.

His family is now going to UGA with him. No quotes, just on twitter. If you want a link just look him up. On that note, pull his scholarship and move on.

My .02 is that after kids commit, other schools don't stop recruiting them, including ours. If coaches continue to recruit and essentially encourage a decommitment, then kids will continue to flip flop. The only coach I know of who seems to know what the word means, and reinforces that meaning to the players he recruits is Mark Dantonio.

My .02 is that after kids commit, other schools don't stop recruiting them, including ours. If coaches continue to recruit and essentially encourage a decommitment, then kids will continue to flip flop. The only coach I know of who seems to know what the word means, and reinforces that meaning to the players he recruits is Mark Dantonio.

Isn't that funny, how folks tear the kids apart for not knowing the meaning of the word commitment but have no problem with our coaches begging kids to flip to Auburn or with those kids who do?

Edit: Not that anybody has insulted Marshall in the comments today.

Isn't that funny, how folks tear the kids apart for not knowing the meaning of the word commitment but have no problem with our coaches begging kids to flip to Auburn or with those kids who do?

This guy has already decommitted once, And just 24 hours ago, basically said he was firm again. the kid cannot make up his mind, So think we should help him.

Archived